Join Early Retirement Today

Amazon 3% Cash Back
Old 05-24-2015, 10:59 AM   #1
Full time employment: Posting here.

Amazon 3% Cash Back

Had no idea Amazon has a cash back credit card. 3% cash back on all amazon purchases, and 1-2% on other items.

Amazon Rewards Card: Is It Right for You? (AMZN)

That said, I somehow do not like the idea of Amazon knowing what I buy elsewhere.
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-24-2015, 11:11 AM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

Been using this card for the past couple of years - and I don't care if Amazon knows about my purchases. "Privacy" is so 20th century...
Old 05-24-2015, 11:23 AM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
Been using this card for the past couple of years - and I don't care if Amazon knows about my purchases. "Privacy" is so 20th century...
Been using it for way longer than that. I can't imagine why I would be concerned what Amazon knows (if they know anything?) or not about any other purchases I make. The card is managed by Chase, I think the 'Amazon' is just branding?

But if Amazon is aware of my other purchase habits, it could benefit me - maybe they will show me some competitive products that are a better value for me. What could it hurt?

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 11:30 AM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bizlady View Post
H
That said, I somehow do not like the idea of Amazon knowing what I buy elsewhere.
I have had the card for about 2 years. I haven't seen any problems and the cash back is nice.The "worst" they may be doing with knowing what I purchase elsewhere is suggestions for similar products available through Amazon for a lower price.

These days, if I want to purchase something I don't want any credit company or my bank to know about, I pay cash .
Old 05-24-2015, 12:06 PM   #5

We've had this card as long as I can remember. Getting the 3% credit is nice, although they (of course) keep it captive so you come back.

Don't fool yourself on the privacy front. Every time you use a card your behavior is tracked, compiled and used for a variety of purposes.

As jollystomper said, if you want privacy pay cash. Oh yeah, and turn off your location services on your phone or they know where you are anyway and can track you that way.

As they say, it's not really paranoia if they really are after you, right?
Old 05-24-2015, 12:15 PM   #6
Give me a forum ...

I really like Discover card for Amazon..the 4th qtr of every year they offer 5% cashback on all online purchase anywhere up to 1500 dollars.

I just got an email offering 5% on my next 1000 dollars of Amazon purchase for the next 60 days. They also have great discover card only specials during the holidays.. last year it was free giftwrap. And I can use the cashback anywhere I want to.

There is no privacy on-line anymore, when I use my favorite weather app, I see an ad for the last thing I looked at on Kohls.com....
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:26 PM   #7
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sallie Mae MasterCard offered by Barclay gives back 5% on Amazon purchases.

Amazon is considered a bookstore, and the official terms of the card are that you get 5% back at bookstores, gas stations, and grocery stores.
HawkeyeNFO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 12:58 PM   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Yes, I am very happy with the Amazon cash back Visa credit card. I looked into it a few years ago when FIREd said he had one because it sounded just right for an Amazon addict like me, and got my own at that time. It is my first credit card since my 1998 divorce.

I especially love that it has no fees, and I have it set up to automatically pay in full each month. So, they get none of my money and I get some of theirs.

I keep asking Frank to explain to me how this can be a valid business model. He explains again and again about how most people don't pay it off each month, but to me that is just an assumption and really not something I believe. I keep looking for the catch.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:11 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
most people don't pay it off each month, but to me that is just an assumption and really not something I believe. I keep looking for the catch.
Alas, it seems all too true.
Quote:
Based on an analysis of Federal Reserve statistics and other government data, the average household owes $7,281 on their cards; looking only at indebted households, the average outstanding balance rises to $15,609.
American Household Credit Card Debt Statistics: 2015 - NerdWallet
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:46 PM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Had no idea Amazon has a cash back credit card. 3% cash back on all amazon purchases, and 1-2% on other items.

Amazon Rewards Card: Is It Right for You? (AMZN)

Used this for several years. What a deal! Usually a decent intro bonus too, which is why DH and I got separate cards.

We only use it for Amazon purchases though, so Amazon doesn't know what we buy outside of Amazon.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:48 PM   #11

Ok- maybe it is time to switch cards! :-)

Can you cash in anytime you want with the Amazon card, or do you have to hit a dollar amount?
bizlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 02:54 PM   #12
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...

The Amazon card automatically adds points ($s) to your Amazon account monthly. No minimum purchase amount.
Old 05-24-2015, 02:55 PM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Ok- maybe it is time to switch cards! :-)

Can you cash in anytime you want with the Amazon card, or do you have to hit a dollar amount?
It is given to you at the end of each statement cycle, and it is available then to spend against purchases. Amazon makes it very easy to do this at checkout.

So that means it's a credit against future Amazon purchases, not cash back or statement credit. So to take advantage, an additional purchase would have to be required. It you buy through Amazon fairly often, this is not big deal.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:06 PM   #14

Just got a 5% card from amazon.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
It is given to you at the end of each statement cycle, and it is available then to spend against purchases. Amazon makes it very easy to do this at checkout.

So that means it's a credit against future Amazon purchases, not cash back or statement credit. So to take advantage, an additional purchase would have to be required. It you buy through Amazon fairly often, this is not big deal.

I get a statement credit once I hit $20.00. That doesn't take long.

I don't apply the funds to my amazon purchases.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:11 PM   #16

I have this card, but don't use it much. IIRC, I originally got it because it offered $30 off my first purchase. The 3% off Amazon purchases is nice, but it does force you to keep coming back to Amazon. I can always find something to buy, but then that encourages me to spend more.

I have an American Express with Fidelity that will ultimately give me 2% cash back if I hold off long enough on redeeming the points. I think once I've spent $15,000, it'll give me the 2%.

I also have a Bank of America Visa that gives me 3% back on gasoline, 2% on groceries, and 1% on everything else. So I normally use it for gas and groceries, and whenever someone doesn't take AMEX.

I just gotta keep remembering, when I do every-other-week run to the liquor store, that booze doesn't count as "groceries", and whip out the AMEX and not the Bank of America!
Andre1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:17 PM   #17
Dryer sheet wannabe

I have the Amazon credit card and will start using it after I use up my Amazon gift card.

I purchased Turbo Tax through Amazon and got my tax return back as an Amazon gift card with a 10% bonus.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
StikyBoots is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 03:22 PM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accidental Retiree View Post
I get a statement credit once I hit $20.00. That doesn't take long.

I don't apply the funds to my amazon purchases.
Interesting - I didn't realize that was a configurable option.

Or maybe I just forgot!

We order stuff monthly from Amazon unless traveling.

If you use it against purchases you don't have to wait until $20 to use your rewards. As soon as the last statement posts, it's available no matter how small.
Old 05-24-2015, 03:57 PM   #19
Give me a forum ...

I actually just got the Amazon Prime store card. It gives back a statement credit for 5% of purchases on Amazon. I don't usually like store cards, but we buy a lot at Amazon so this was very attractive. For non-Amazon, I use my Amex Blue Cash preferred.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2015, 04:08 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
I see that information from time to time and it just amazes me. Okay some people might be in a temporary jam or just starting out, but clearly it is a way of life for most. Just amazing that they never apparently think about the total interest they're paying.