Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-22-2015, 04:50 PM   #61
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
I'll see what I answer on this trip.

Europeans don't ask that question. It's them pesky Americans....
Not only do they not ask it in much of Europe, it is considered rude and nosy and boring to ask about another person's work.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
urn2bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-25-2015, 08:12 AM   #62

If asked:
"What do you do?" Nothing.

"Where do you work?" I'm unemployed.
cantlogin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 08:17 AM   #63
Moderator Emeritus

Never tell them that you're retired. That'll just raise more questions/comments that you don't want to answer.
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 09:15 AM   #64

Hi Karen, someone actually said ' it must be nice to inherit money '?! Thats gotta be one of the rudest and presumptious comments ever . I would laughed and walked away from that clown.
I got lots of questions and reactions when I retired at 49. Im 58 now and look the part of retired more now. I used to say I got lucky with some investments, people seem to like that more than telling them you saved for 30 years.....Prob because then they may be able to do it also. The thought of saving for 30 years does not appeal to many!
Congrats for getting free so young! Must be nice to have a rich husband
Old 05-25-2015, 09:32 AM   #65
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midpack View Post
After the first few exchanges, it hasn't bothered me how others react. I realize others don't know what to say, and how they might react isn't very important to me...
+1

Sometimes I think that being recognized for the accomplishment of attaining "FIRE'd" status young is really important to many. Some are actually anxious to bring it up in conversation as an opening to achieve recognition. No wonder they are disappointed when others don't immediately recognize the value of their accomplishment and say so.

Everyone supports themselves in different ways. Full time workers. Part time workers. Stay-at-home moms and dads. Entrepreneurs of all shapes and sizes. Folks with inherited wealth. Folks who've accumulated weath and/or pensions. And all combinations of all of those. When you're young and are able to support yourself exclusively on passive income, it's a surprise to many because it's fairly rare. As you say Midpack, it shouldn't be a surprise that people are surprised.

I enjoy diversity in people. For example, an entrepreneur still running their business at 70 years of age because they love it is as interesting to me as someone who cashed in options from early employment at a startup, etc. You're just less likely to get details from a FIRE'd person. It's appropriate (in the USA) to say "I'm employed as the machine shop foreman at MegaCorp" but not appropriate to say "I'm living off passive income generated from a portfolio worth $X and a 3% withdrawal rate."
Old 05-25-2015, 10:40 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by grasshopper View Post
After 10 years of ER no one asks anymore.

Attachment 21729
Yes! That's my status at the 9 year point. I FIRE'd at 58 and am now 67. 58 was, of course, plenty old to avoid most of the "how did you do that" inquires. And now at 67, most would be surprised if I wasn't retired or semi-retired. Being retired is the expected answer.

Now the question is more likely to be "what have you learned from living off passive income for the past 9 years and solving other issues like health insurance and getting through the Great Recession?"
Old 05-25-2015, 11:08 AM   #67
Give me a forum ...

I think a lot depends on how old/young you look, and the type of people you live around. I'm now 74, and to date no one has assumed that I am retired, though I am many years beyond looking young. I guess it is too expensive to live here, people assume that if you retire you must be truly rich and if you are rich, why aren't you living in Medina or Washington Park or something?

Also, I am an active investor, and people in my building almost all know that I work almost every morning. They don't know that I rarely make a portfolio change; in fact I want them to believe that I do rapid fire trading (about which I know nothing and for which I definitely have no talent).

I do not want people to know/think that I have any money. I don't want anyone to know my former profession, or anything else that might suggest to them money. Young woman across the hall from me got back tired from a recent business trip. She often brings my paper WSJ into our landing. She said, "how can I get you to give me some money?"

I don't even want to think about this, and I definitely do not want her to think about it.

Ha
Old 05-25-2015, 11:09 AM   #68
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by karen1972 View Post
Maybe I'm over sensitive because I'm a woman and often wonder if I was a guy if you get the same crap. .
After thinking about your OP Karen, it's possible you are a bit over sensitive about the "what do you do for a living" question. That's perfectly OK and not unexpected. I bet a decade from now, when you'll still be young enough to be considered an early retiree, the same comments will flow off your back without leaving a bad feeling behind.

I retired too old to share your experiences. At 58, no one would be shocked/surprised that I was retired. But I did work as a manager. Whenever the subject of "what do you do for a living?" came up and I mentioned that, the frowns and looks of disapproval from the non-management crowd always appeared. But I got used to it and you will too. It's just people and a situation not worth you taking to heart.
Old 05-25-2015, 12:12 PM   #69
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by brewer12345 View Post
I view the fudge as a lot more polite than "MYOFB."
LOL I used to say that I was a Private Portfolio Manager. If people asked anything further, I simply said it was private.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:36 PM   #70

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post
LOL I used to say that I was a Private Portfolio Manager. If people asked anything further, I simply said it was private.
That can be quite useful.
Once upon a time, I had a job in the military that was classified to the extent that all I could say was "Sorry, I can't talk about it."

I'm sure there are others with even more highly classified jobs who use good cover stories, but that one was kind of fun for me for a year or so.
braumeister is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2015, 06:58 PM   #71
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donzo View Post
Hi Karen, someone actually said ' it must be nice to inherit money '?! Thats gotta be one of the rudest and presumptious comments ever
'Round these parts, trust funders and 'old' or 'family money' are fairly common. Almost no one would come up with that comment.

It surely wouldn't get you invited to the next big party!
Old 05-25-2015, 07:24 PM   #72
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I guess I've been lucky - the nearest I've come to an adverse reaction is the people who predict that I'll be bored and go back to work just to have something to do. In a sense, these people know that I'm not capable of sitting around watching TV etc - I need something to keep me engaged.

If people ask, I tell them we both work part time (very part time) so we can spend more time with our daughters and/or that I was taking something of an extended sabbatical from my legal practice so I could do a post-grad degree. The later has now run its course, so I'll have to think of something else (or not - I don't really care what other people think).
Old 05-27-2015, 06:08 PM   #73
Dryer sheet aficionado

I will never buy a car directly from a dealership again after using True Car through Amex. https://amexnetwork.truecar.com/main...FQOUfgodqiwAKQ .

Costco also has an auto buying service. My employee saved over $3K from the best price he found at three dealers and they even offered to deliver the truck to his home.
Avocadorunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 09:56 AM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avocadorunner View Post
I will never buy a car directly from a dealership again after using True Car through Amex. https://amexnetwork.truecar.com/main...FQOUfgodqiwAKQ .

Costco also has an auto buying service. My employee saved over $3K from the best price he found at three dealers and they even offered to deliver the truck to his home.
It is better than walking in and dealing face to face with game players, but you can get Truecar price information (for free), then negotiate down from there, if you have the patience. After all, if you take the Truecar price, they have to pay Truecar a portion of the total.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:15 AM   #75

Quote:

I went to this site and selected a car. Then I went to Edmunds.com and found the same car, same features. The price Edmunds shows as a "Price Promise" is $2400 lower. When I buy cars I always use Edmunds and in the past, Ive been able to buy cars about $1000 lower than the Edmunds target price. It doesnt look to me like the AMEX buying service is all that great.
utrecht is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 10:37 AM   #76

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
That can be quite useful.
Once upon a time, I had a job in the military that was classified to the extent that all I could say was "Sorry, I can't talk about it."

I'm sure there are others with even more highly classified jobs who use good
cover stories, but that one was kind of fun for me for a year or so.
A couple of times at social events around folks who don't know me , but do know I was connected to city government, I say I am an" Urban transportation consultant" .

( which is actually true. i send e-mails to the giant regional transit authority telling them how f-upped they are handling certain transportation projects. )
Old 05-28-2015, 11:56 AM   #77
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
A couple of times at social events around folks who don't know me , but do know I was connected to city government, I say I am an" Urban transportation consultant" .

( which is actually true. i send e-mails to the giant regional transit authority telling them how f-upped they are handling certain transportation projects. )
"Urban transportation consultant" heh - I used to design parking lots for walmarts.

And later worked at one of those regional transportation authorities that received a lot of useless rantings from the public about how F-ed up everything was.
Old 05-28-2015, 12:04 PM   #78
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:

We just bought a car for our son through the Costco program. We looked at two different makes. It was very easy. And, we shopped the price of the final choice of make/model with another dealer. They got within $75 of the Costco price (kept from them), then started to play the typical car dealer games. So, we walked in, gave the Costco dealer a check, went through the orientation and were on our way. Would do this again definitely.
45th Birthday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2015, 12:08 PM   #79
Give me a forum ...

Most recently I told someone I was a music critic, but that I was willing to criticize pretty much anything. For example, that shirt you're wearing...
Old 05-28-2015, 01:18 PM   #80
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
I think a lot depends on how old/young you look, and the type of people you live around. I'm now 74, and to date no one has assumed that I am retired, though I am many years beyond looking young. I guess it is too expensive to live here, people assume that if you retire you must be truly rich and if you are rich, why aren't you living in Medina or Washington Park or something?

Also, I am an active investor, and people in my building almost all know that I work almost every morning. They don't know that I rarely make a portfolio change; in fact I want them to believe that I do rapid fire trading (about which I know nothing and for which I definitely have no talent).

I do not want people to know/think that I have any money. I don't want anyone to know my former profession, or anything else that might suggest to them money. Young woman across the hall from me got back tired from a recent business trip. She often brings my paper WSJ into our landing. She said, "how can I get you to give me some money?"

I don't even want to think about this, and I definitely do not want her to think about it.

Ha

Hmm, Ha....I suppose she must not be very attractive, or I would peg you for having a very good response to her above question on "How can I get you to give me some money."

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Mulligan is offline   Reply With Quote