Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 06:39 AM   #761
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post

There really is such a place?
Yes,
It's like Mayberry here. Go to the P.O. get greeted by name!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-27-2015, 07:41 AM   #762
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur1 View Post
just tell him his tips will suffer if he keeps f'ing up. That should do it.
Mail carriers aren't supposed to get tips anyway so that wouldn't do much.
Old 06-27-2015, 10:24 AM   #763
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
Mail carriers aren't supposed to get tips anyway so that wouldn't do much.
Tipping always helps your service.
Old 06-27-2015, 03:48 PM   #764
Give me a forum ...

A gift under $20 is fine. Cash is actually against federal law.
Old 06-27-2015, 04:53 PM   #765
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaronc879 View Post
A gift under $20 is fine. Cash is actually against federal law.
Funny how I never worry that my mail carrier is going to report me for giving him a nice cash tip at xmas.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:56 AM   #766
Give me a forum ...

A standing ovation for any and all performances. I'm so old that I can remember when it was truly a show of exceptional appreciation. Now it is a mandatory part of applause.
Old 07-03-2015, 09:58 AM   #767
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
A standing ovation for any and all performances. I'm so old that I can remember when it was truly a show of exceptional appreciation. Now it is a mandatory part of applause.
That, and the fake encore that follows...

...not doing anything of true substance...
Old 07-03-2015, 12:31 PM   #768
Give me a forum ...

The gentleman that couldn't merge at 55 MPH. I'd slowed down to allow him over but he wouldn't merge. At 35 MPH I took off. Looking back in the rear view mirror it became clear, he was too busy talking on his phone to drive!
Old 07-03-2015, 01:36 PM   #769
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by nafddur1 View Post
just tell him his tips will suffer if he keeps f'ing up. That should do it.
I don't tip my postal guy, as I don't get tips at work either.
Old 07-03-2015, 03:21 PM   #770
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Family that come from out of town, and tell everyone but us when they are going to be here, and we're the black sheep because we aren't able to participate in every single activity they have planned.
Old 07-03-2015, 05:53 PM   #771
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
and we're the black sheep because we aren't able to participate in every single activity they have planned.
+1, been there, done that more times than I care to remember...
Old 07-04-2015, 09:05 AM   #772

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
No standing ovation stuff around here, thankfully.

What irks me is when the band is doing a cover of some famous song and the singer just has to alter the melody a little bit, which always sucks . Why? Does he/she think we want the melody changed?
Old 07-04-2015, 10:00 AM   #773
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
No standing ovation stuff around here, thankfully.

What irks me is when the band is doing a cover of some famous song and the singer just has to alter the melody a little bit, which always sucks . Why? Does he/she think we want the melody changed?
Different strokes - I want to hear a band change things up a bit (or even a lot!). If I want to listen to the recorded version I can do that. I want to hear what they can do to shake things up and show off their talents. Playing it straight is boring, IMO.

That said, I do think some of Dylan's live recordings were just change for the sake of change. Love Dylan, but some of those are just weird, like he got bored and just decided to do something, anything.

I also hate the forced standing ovation and planned encore. It used to be you had to earn the SO and encore requests, and then the encore was often something way outside the normal repertoire, a chance for the artist to maybe show off a different side. They approached it like, OK, you got your money's worth for the show, now just a little icing on the cake. But now, it's just part of the show.

I recall seeing a Grammy award winning trumpet player at a local college show. I forget his name offhand, but a top talent, and the show was fantastic. His last song, he just threw everything into it, it was amazing, full of energy and lots of fast. high notes - really stretching it. I felt embarrassed that the crowd wanted an encore - couldn't they see he just gave it all he had?

Heck, I saw Ian Anderson a while back - the papers reviewing the tour announce that they do 'Locomotive Breath' as the encore on this tour. So much for spontaneity.

-ERD50
Old 07-04-2015, 04:12 PM   #774
Full time employment: Posting here.

When people type "LOL" at the end of a post.

As if they are really laughing out loud?

It reads more like "and my reply to your post is to really mock your silliness"
Old 07-04-2015, 07:31 PM   #775
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQ-Nut View Post
When people type "LOL" at the end of a post.

As if they are really laughing out loud?

It reads more like "and my reply to your post is to really mock your silliness"
Well, I have literally (yes, literally, not figuratively - misusing those is a pet-peeve of mine) 'laughed out loud' at some comments here, and have let the poster know that I appreciated their sick, twisted humor with a "LOL"!.

I'll guess I'm not alone.

-ERD50
Old 07-04-2015, 08:17 PM   #776

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Well, I have literally (yes, literally, not figuratively - misusing those is a pet-peeve of mine) 'laughed out loud' at some comments here, and have let the poster know that I appreciated their sick, twisted humor with a "LOL"!.

I'll guess I'm not alone.

-ERD50
You're not. I use LOL cause there's no short hand for "you made me snort my milk". There are some pretty funny comments on this forum.
Old 07-04-2015, 09:13 PM   #777
Recycles dryer sheets

How about sitting at a red light, and having smoke waft into your car from someone next to you smoking with their window down? THAT should be against the law for sure.
Old 07-05-2015, 04:08 AM   #778

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
You're not. I use LOL cause there's no short hand for "you made me snort my milk". There are some pretty funny comments on this forum.

YMMSMM

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-05-2015, 09:56 AM   #779

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
Different strokes - I want to hear a band change things up a bit (or even a lot!). If I want to listen to the recorded version I can do that. I want to hear what they can do to shake things up and show off their talents. Playing it straight is boring, IMO.

That said, I do think some of Dylan's live recordings were just change for the sake of change. Love Dylan, but some of those are just weird, like he got bored and just decided to do something, anything.

I also hate the forced standing ovation and planned encore. It used to be you had to earn the SO and encore requests, and then the encore was often something way outside the normal repertoire, a chance for the artist to maybe show off a different side. They approached it like, OK, you got your money's worth for the show, now just a little icing on the cake. But now, it's just part of the show.

I recall seeing a Grammy award winning trumpet player at a local college show. I forget his name offhand, but a top talent, and the show was fantastic. His last song, he just threw everything into it, it was amazing, full of energy and lots of fast. high notes - really stretching it. I felt embarrassed that the crowd wanted an encore - couldn't they see he just gave it all he had?

Heck, I saw Ian Anderson a while back - the papers reviewing the tour announce that they do 'Locomotive Breath' as the encore on this tour. So much for spontaneity.

-ERD50

I agree with you about bands shaking things up. If done right, it can make the song more fun to hear. I really enjoy it when a band has the talent to go off into an improvisation in the middle of a famous song, and "jam" together in the middle of the song, then come back to the score at the end to finish it off. Frank Zappa was good at that.
Old 07-07-2015, 09:01 AM   #780
Give me a forum ...

I thought of a peeve yeaterday, by now I forgot what it was. Guess it was not a major peeve.