Join Early Retirement Today

Total Bond Index or Stable Value Fund ?
Old 07-27-2015, 07:52 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Total Bond Index or Stable Value Fund ?

I am 53 and retired 2 months ago with a government pension. My 457 and 401 k plans are balanced at 50/50. I am using my stable value fund 2.4 % guaranteed as my bond allocation. Should I be using a Vanguard total bond index instead ? Thanks for your advice.
Jpg1717 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2015, 08:44 PM   #2
Recycles dryer sheets

If you believe that interest rates will be going up stick to the stable value fund. It's price won't be impacted by rate increases while a total bond fund has a duration in or around 5 and will decrease in price by 5% for each point increase in rates. Last I looked, those funds were only yielding 2% or so. You are getting more yield in your stable value fund with out the interest rate risk.
Henry Lili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 08:54 PM   #3
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I wish I had access to a stable value fund. 2.4% is a good rate. I would use a 2.4$ stable value fund for my entire bond allocation if I had one available to me.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:01 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpg1717 View Post
. . .retired 2 months ago with a government pension.
Are you a retired federal employee with access to the TSP and the G Fund? If so, add that to your "things to watch" for holding your bond allocation. It yields 2.25% now (so not as good as your stable value fund), but it may do better as rates rise, and it has no interest rate risk and no credit risk.
samclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2015, 09:08 PM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpg1717 View Post
I am 53 and retired 2 months ago with a government pension. My 457 and 401 k plans are balanced at 50/50. I am using my stable value fund 2.4 % guaranteed as my bond allocation. Should I be using a Vanguard total bond index instead ? Thanks for your advice.
If I had access to a stable value fund at 2.4% I would probably leave most of my bond allocation there for now.
Old 07-28-2015, 03:09 AM   #6
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

2.4% is not bad, I would stick with that, no interest rate risk.
jim584672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:17 AM   #7
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim584672 View Post
2.4% is not bad, I would stick with that, no interest rate risk.
+1
DEC-1982 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2015, 06:47 AM   #8
Recycles dryer sheets

You are lucky to be able to get that rate. The Stable Value Fund I have most of our 401K in is yieding 1.5%. I would grab that until interest rates get above that and then consider CDs.
Old 07-28-2015, 07:29 AM   #9
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I've used stable value funds in lieu of bonds (not completely) for the two years I've been retired. Been waiting for interest rates to rise. Once value drops and yield increases, I'll consider a rollover to bond funds. Right now, about 27% of my portfolio is in SV accounts.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-28-2015, 08:56 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

I'm happy to have a stable value fund and I wish mine paid 2.4% right now. I would never intentionally give mine up. It's plodding, but never goes down. If interest rates do go up, my rate should go up rather than the value of current bonds going down. Obviously, you have to make sure your allocation to it is what you want. Yep. Stable Value rather than bonds makes me feel better. YMMV

Anything which can be used can be misused. Anything which can be misused will be.
Koolau is offline   Reply With Quote