Greatest love songs ever

re: "Time in a Bottle"

I saw Jim Croce in Chicago a month before he died. He has always been one of my favorites. He could write songs of incredible love stories and yet make them believable on a "real world" level. Much sentiment but no sentimentality. If I could have any talent, I think it would be to put into words my (and others) feelings in a way that would touch others the way Jim's songs touched me and my girl (DW).

After Jim's untimely death, this song made me wonder if Jim had received a premonition. It's almost as if he knew.

Time to bump this thread, for how worse this world would be without love?

"Historia de un Amor" (Spanish for "a love story") is a song about a man's old love written by Panamanian songwriter Carlos Eleta Almarán. It was written after the death of his brother's wife. It is also in the soundtrack of a 1956 Mexican movie of the same name starring Libertad Lamarque. The song tells of a man's suffering after his love has disappeared. - Wikipedia

This song is world-renowned, and lyrics have been written in French, Russian, Greek, Hungarian, Vietnamese, Japanese, Korean, Chinese, etc... Somehow it is not popular in the English-speaking countries, and I have not run across an English version. I first heard it in French by Dalida, and did not know it was originally Panamanian.

Following is a Spanish rendition.

Historia De Un Amor Laura Fygi - YouTube

Last edited:
I've been enjoying some of the lesser know artists on XM Coffeehouse.

No love song posted for a year. The world needs more love!

Karen Carpenter died of anorexia, and her weight was down to as low as 80 lbs, but it rebounded to 110 when she died. Her brother suggested that perhaps the weight gain was too quickly and caused stress on her heart.

It's hard to understand this mental illness, as most people like to eat.

For the love of country. Caledonia, the beautiful "unofficial" Scottish National Anthem by Dougie Maclean

Last edited:
Yes, I am a weirdo, but my vote would be the Smith's "There is a light that never goes out". A kind of love song with a very morbid sense of humor. I had a courthouse wedding, but this is the song I would have played if I didn't.

".....And if a double decker bus, crashes into us, to die by your side is such a heavenly way to die..." Perfection.

....Karen Carpenter died of anorexia, and her weight was down to as low as 80 lbs, but it rebounded to 110 when she died. Her brother suggested that perhaps the weight gain was too quickly and caused stress on her heart.....

Probably my favorite female vocalist ever... incredible range and versatility... beautiful voice.

So many great songs. I just learned today that Dennis Wilson co-wrote 'You Are So Beautiful' with Billy Preston and Bruce Fisher. I always loved Joe Cocker's version of the song. Was a huge Beach Boys fan growing up. They were so talented.

Also agree with those voicing affection for Jim Croce's 'Time in a Bottle'. Such a loss.

Keep the hits coming folks. Great thread.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dennis_Wilson

Didn't read all the posts, but "Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers anyone?

Didn't read all the posts, but "Unchained Melody" by the Righteous Brothers anyone?
I knew of the above song when I was fairly young. Only in later years did I learn that it was a theme song of a 1955 movie entitled "Unchained". Meant to see if I can get this movie to watch, but keep forgetting.

Here's "Dance Me to the End of Love", written and sung by Leonard Cohen.

Last edited:
Wow - really liked "Dance Me to the End of Love"!

Greatest Love? Here's a twist - turn your speakers off and watch this through..

Back
Top Bottom