Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 08-20-2015, 01:07 AM   #981
Recycles dryer sheets

Not a millionaire.

Not even close.

But I am sorta proud that, after forty years of a music "career" (translation: no savings) and my current minimum wage job (and just becoming eligible for "early" S.S.), I have a) paid off my loft, and b) saved enough that the job stress has decreased immensely. (I laugh at the boss in front of his back, now.) I live very cheaply; and at full S.S./Medicare age should be able to go back to music, full-time.

I know, not early retirement. Not retirement at all, in the conventional sense; but I should be laughing!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-20-2015, 08:27 AM   #982
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortoise Banker View Post
Got a 20% raise today! Increased auto-investments to 401k and IRAs by any added income this raise would provide!

Wow! Great job! That's amazing!! Congrats!

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 08-20-2015, 09:11 AM   #983
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tortoise Banker View Post
Got a 20% raise today! Increased auto-investments to 401k and IRAs by any added income this raise would provide!
I have been lucky as my company offered a deferred comp program. We were top heavy on 401K so always getting a refund. I started siphoning more and more money to the comp program which is tax deferred. The last 7 years I have been putting in 40% of my salary into retirement programs plus same % of any bonus (we could bonus 50% of our salary). I just got in the habit of living off of the same salary from ten years ago. This makes it so easy to now convert to retirement spending since it's 60% of my past gross salary. If you commit to saving early, you'll never miss the money.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:37 AM   #984

Most recent milestone, experiencing a correction.

I suppose I was in a similar one back in 2007/08 but I wasn't really an informed investor and had no clue what a correction even meant (thankfully I was allocated unknowingly to 50% bonds during the time so I think I wethered it better than some).

I also watched one of my holdings experience a flash selloff, only to recover from a 30% drop in one morning.
Old 08-28-2015, 09:47 AM   #985

Last Day Today...Except

Last full time day today. Three weeks vacation then come back 2 1/2 days a week for support job with full benefits. I'm guessing I'll last maybe a year, maybe not.

Have somewhere between $1.7 and $2.0 million. Closed my eyes on the market ten days ago. Wife has $28k pension and can start drawing $17k SS in January. I'll wait until 66.2 and get $30k+ depending on COLA's.

$500k house paid for. Brand new SUV, second SUV, Pickup, Camper and Boat paid for.

Having a couple cold beers at lunch then outta here.
Old 08-28-2015, 05:57 PM   #986
Confused about dryer sheets

Bir48die: Congrats! I bet those beers tasted REAL good!
Old 08-29-2015, 06:06 PM   #987

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bir48die View Post
Last full time day today. Three weeks vacation then come back 2 1/2 days a week for support job with full benefits. I'm guessing I'll last maybe a year, maybe not.

Have somewhere between $1.7 and $2.0 million. Closed my eyes on the market ten days ago. Wife has $28k pension and can start drawing $17k SS in January. I'll wait until 66.2 and get $30k+ depending on COLA's.

$500k house paid for. Brand new SUV, second SUV, Pickup, Camper and Boat paid for.

Having a couple cold beers at lunch then outta here.
Congrats!

I'm in a similar situation - FIREd last summer, about the same age as you, have some guaranteed income streams + portfolio, and have been doing some part time consulting during the past year. It's been great, and DW & I are enjoying ourselves very much. We relocated, as planned, shortly after FIRE, and are really just settling in to our new location during the past few months; expecting to travel frequently beginning this fall.

Hope your transition into FIRE/Semi-FIRE goes smoothly and is as delightful as ours has been.
Old 09-17-2015, 04:31 AM   #988
Recycles dryer sheets

Gave my 60 day notice at the age of 46. Best job I've had, most money I've made and best boss I've had. DH is 48 and was also planning to give his notice but got asked to travel to Singapore next week to do a 30 minute presentation, then will do it when he returns.

We have been on this board for awhile...initial dream was 2008, but learned a lot from this board and after crunching the numbers and making the decision and then second thoughts, we made the decision to do it. It's been scary the past two weeks...we should be very happy, but the transition from savings to spending will be so foreign to us. Double and triple checking Personal Capital (in case we accidentally double counted an account, thinking we had more money than we really had)....worried we may not really enjoy our retirement plans of worldwide exploration, starting with the first 5 months traveling Australia, learning how to sail, scuba diving and getting physically fit, still made the plunge and gave my notice.

Result....boss decided he wants to put me on a leave of absence for 5 months in case I decide I want to come back to work 7 months from now. He agreed to the transition plan I e been working towards (promoting 5 of my direct reports to Directors, reporting to one of my peers ready to take on my responsibilities). I will have the option to come back in whatever capacity I want!

What more can a girl want!? Yes, part of me still feels like it's too good to be true... Will something bad happen soon? Then again....if I don't do it now, I never will!

Thank you all for the great support and for being our virtual role models!

Old 09-17-2015, 11:21 AM   #989

Congratulations msbearkeley!
Cleared the 1M household net worth bar
Old 10-15-2015, 11:08 AM   #990
Recycles dryer sheets

Cleared the 1M household net worth bar

With home paid for (and no debt) plus rental equity, retirement funds and savings we finally cleared the 1M household net worth bar in 2015.

Expect to FIRE 2017, but the spouse will still work.
If she changes her mind we can downsize the home and make it happen.

I expect we'll cross that line (1M net worth) a few times depending on the market. Eventually though our retirement should grow to resolve this.

Oh, Happy Day.
Old 10-15-2015, 11:33 AM   #991
Recycles dryer sheets

WorkingMyFingers

$1MM net worth is a great milestone achievement. Congratulations.

Sent via ER iPad app
Old 10-22-2015, 10:13 PM   #992
Recycles dryer sheets

I just clicked the sell button on our taxable account. We're paying off the mortgage. I know the topic has been debated to death. For us, with our priorities, after doing the math on the opportunity cost, it was the right decision.

Took us 3 years, 11 months.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:41 AM   #993
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangehairfella View Post
I just clicked the sell button on our taxable account. We're paying off the mortgage. I know the topic has been debated to death. For us, with our priorities, after doing the math on the opportunity cost, it was the right decision.

Took us 3 years, 11 months.

Congrats.
I am accelerating mortgage payments for another year+ to be debt free by a key birthday. There is not much savings doing this, but for the utter joy it brings me just thinking about it.
Old 10-23-2015, 10:20 PM   #994
Recycles dryer sheets

I broke through one million in investable assets today. Rental properties valued at $415,000 and stock and bonds at $586,258.00. After such a long hard slog (44 years old), it sure seems anticlimactic. Maybe because I have another $400,000 to go before I leave my job. Oh well, they say the first one is the hardest.
Getting out of current job - a new beginning or retirement?
Old 10-24-2015, 06:54 PM   #995

Getting out of current job - a new beginning or retirement?

I guess - looking forward to a new job is a milestone. Or is this retirement?
My boss and I have our irreconcilable differences and I told him I'm out by middle of next year - just finishing my contract to August 2016. Even though I'm good at my job, the new boss does not like me. I'm out and already applying for other jobs.

At 51 yrs old, I still have a mortgage at $1,350/month (including realty taxes and insurance) but no other debts - no car debts, no student loans, no credit card debts. Just like paying for an apartment.

I will have about $700,000 saved pre-tax + after-tax liquid savings before I leave my job. I'm transitioning my after-tax savings from mostly cash to tax-free muni bonds to max out tax-free dividends. Net worth is around $900K at the very least.

Still planning to work 4 - 5 more years in a new job to hit that $1Million - $1.2 million mark in liquid investments and pay off my house.

In the event I don't get a new job soon, we have a back up plan. First of all, we can actually survive till my wife and I get SS since we live in a low-cost semi-rural area in a Southern state where cost of living is cheap. We are frugal. Secondly, we can rent our house for $2,000/month. Zillows said we could rent it out for $2,350/month. And we could easily live off $1,300 - $1,500/month luxuriously in the Philippines for a few years, where we have family and friends.

Lastly, we have no kids, nobody to support. It means, my partner and I will be happy to pass on from this world with almost $0 in our savings. So, we do intend to spend down what we have saved to the last penny before we move on to the spiritual world.

However, I hope to get a new six-figure job before I quit my current job next year. But we're ready for the worst case scenario - I guess that's what counts.

Old 10-26-2015, 09:57 AM   #996
Full time employment: Posting here.

I & DW retired about 6 months back, myself at 59 & DW is 54 .

Yearly expenses are about 120k, about 10 k a month, no debt period, and a paid off House.

A all Vanguard investment portfolio 50/50 of 4 million, 425 k of Cash & Bank CDs, a paid off rental office building (My earlier place of work) conservatively worth around 450k with 60k annual net income.

We are not counting our SS income in the calculations for retirement readiness.

All in all, we find ourselves in a good place financially, and after a upcoming 30 -35 yr expected retirement & market willing we may have some left for kids & Charities.

Health is on our minds at this time, not wealth, our health Insurance premiums with Cigna total $ 1500/mo with pharmacy costs of $250/mo.

Best regards to every body.
Old 10-26-2015, 02:55 PM   #997
Recycles dryer sheets

Here's a milestone.... I'm sixty years old I got a new boss 3 months ago who's a young want to be and is making my life miserable but thankfully our house is paid for our condo in Florida is paid for we have no debt I have about a million five in different taxable and non taxable investments.... did I mention he's making my life miserable
Old 10-26-2015, 03:12 PM   #998
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just completed our biannual review of our financial plan with our CFP wealth advisor with USAA. We've surpassed the $6M mark in overall net worth. Just waiting for DW to pull the plug...was supposed to happen today...also last Monday...and last year...yada yada yada...

Old 10-29-2015, 12:46 AM   #999

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnplunder View Post
It took slightly more than I expected but 8 months after the above post, our NW crossed 2.1M threshold and I am on pace for $2M investment portfolio (1.8M now) in 1 year if I continue to work.
Reached $2.4M NW due to rapidly increased home equity. Investment portfolio is at 1.86M, not much of an increase due to flat YTD market. Ready to call it an ER soon.
Old 10-29-2015, 06:54 AM   #1000
Dryer sheet aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreathFree View Post
I broke through one million in investable assets today. Rental properties valued at $415,000 and stock and bonds at $586,258.00. After such a long hard slog (44 years old), it sure seems anticlimactic. Maybe because I have another $400,000 to go before I leave my job. Oh well, they say the first one is the hardest.
LOL I agree, when I hit the mark it was anticlimactic. Just like when we paid our mortgage off and kept it to ourselves, I think reaching the million mark, it is smart to keep quiet about it.
Closed Thread