Join Early Retirement Today
View Poll Results: Would You Go To Your Grade School Reunion?
What reunion? I Stay in touch with old classmates already. 4 3.33%
Yes. I want to go and relive old times 1 0.83%
Yes. I want to see what happened to my old classmates. 26 21.67%
Not now. But maybe another time. 2 1.67%
No. I am not interested. 78 65.00%
Other 9 7.50%
Voters: 120. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-31-2015, 08:09 AM   #41
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronstar View Post
I went to high school with the same group from grade school anyway.
That...

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-31-2015, 08:36 AM   #42
Give me a forum ...

Not at all interested. I might go to a reunion of one of my old Air Force squadrons. There's one old ops officer I'd like to punch in the nose.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Dash man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:42 AM   #43
Recycles dryer sheets

Went to 30 year reunion, never again, nothing changes in a small town where most never leave. I join the military after graduation and only looked back that one time; I visit my sisters once in awhile and everyone else is dead except for a few cousins that I have not seen in years.
DFA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 08:45 AM   #44
Give me a forum ...

On the plus side, because a lot of my HS alumni are all over the world, they do a separate reunion for ALL classes/ages in different parts of the world each year.

Locally, Florida, California, London and Tokyo. I think it's a good idea. (still wouldn't go, but...)
Old 08-31-2015, 04:49 PM   #45
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I answered "Other", as going to a reunion is not an option to even ponder.

I went to 4 different grade schools. They no longer exist. And I do not remember any of my classmates. Not their names, not what they looked back then. And I certainly would not recognize any of the geezers they would be now.
Same here. I went to 8 different schools in 8 different towns between the 1st and 8th grades, and then 2 different high schools. After I graduated high school in 1977 and joined the Navy, I never again saw one of my classmates.
Old 08-31-2015, 05:19 PM   #46
Moderator Emeritus

I went to a lot of schools too, and can think of only a couple of names of classmates up through twelfth grade. I don't know that I would see anyone at a reunion that I would really remember except a couple of old boyfriends who I didn't keep in touch with once I went away. One "best friend" who I found again several years ago but didn't keep up the rekindled friendship after a few emails to catch up.

DH has reunions all the time with his childhood friends from his small town, and both our kids, who went to our neighborhood grade school all the way through, have mentioned they would love to go to a reunion. And some of my friends who have lived their whole lives in the Chicago area still hang out with their childhood friends. So it's just different.

What I would really like to see is an updated yearbook to find out who became famous or infamous when they grew up. With photos. Maybe they call that Facebook.
Old 08-31-2015, 08:03 PM   #47
Gone but not forgotten

I went with my SO to his grade school reunion . He grew up on Anna Marie Island so it was a small group but everyone was so nice . They all shared memories of those days (How they remembered I don't know ) . It was a fun day .
Moemg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2015, 09:48 PM   #48
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
What I would really like to see is an updated yearbook to find out who became famous or infamous when they grew up. With photos. Maybe they call that Facebook.
This reminded me of what the reunion people did back in 2001 prior to my 20th HS reunion (which I didn't attend, of course). They has sent out a form asking us graduates what we had been up to since we graduated in 1981 and a few other brief questions. I didn't reply, of course, but I did learn from the one HS friend I barely kept in touch with over the years and he was able to obtain a copy of compilation of replies from a bunch of the graduates and sent it to me. I actually found it mildly interesting although what I found the most fascinating was the ages of the kids of many of the female graduates. Several of them had kids who were 17, 18, even 19 years old, so I guess I know what they were doing shortly after finishing HS .
Retired in late 2008 at age 45. Cashed in company stock, bought a lot of shares in a big bond fund and am living nicely off its dividends. IRA, SS, and a pension await me at age 60 and later. No kids, no debts.

"I want my money working for me instead of me working for my money!"
scrabbler1 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2015, 08:47 AM   #49
Give me a forum ...

I attended Catholic school for 12 years. My neighborhood friends were in grade school with me but not high school. Then I left the area to attend college and never returned after college graduation.

I did attend 2 high school reunions, which were great fun. My high school was all girls. I am connected to my high school page on FB but I rarely use FB.

If I still lived in the area where I grew up, I think I would attend a grade school reunion. I was in the nerd crowd, with lots of company.
Old 09-01-2015, 09:02 AM   #50
Give me a forum ...

I would go. I had a normal grade school and am still in touch with about half a dozen of my friends from my time (2 of them also went to college with me). I don't mind seeing what has become of others, and I don't care about what folks think about my life and career, so it is all good.

I have gone back for several high school reunions and all but one of my college reunions, only missing them due to some work/family conflict.
Old 10-06-2015, 02:48 PM   #51
Give me a forum ...

The Moment of Truth

Update. I finally got around to decided about my grade school reunion which is 10/10.

The introvert in me was saying "Don't do it, Don't do it!" but I went ahead and messaged an old classmate from school and said I'd like to attend.

I expect the reunion will be both fun and maybe a bit awkward.
Old 10-06-2015, 06:28 PM   #52
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
A grade school reunion is redundant in my situation since most of the kids I graduated HS with were my classmates all 12 years. .....
+1 Our HS class has had reunions every 5 years and we have attended most of them (missed our 10th due to BIL's wedding). It is interesting to see our old classmates... we lived in the same town that we grew up in from ~ 30-55 so we have connections with many of those folks. Also, DW was our class VP and as a result for a number of reunions we were dragged into organizing them.

However, one night is enough for me... the trend these days is to have numerous activities over 2 or 3 days.... I skip those other than the reunion itself tho DW has gone to some of the other activities.

Interestingly, neither DD (who was also VP of her class and remains quite connected with her classmates) nor DS (who was not connected at all) have had class reunions yet. I suspect that it is a generational thing and that social media has changed the way people look at reunions.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:01 AM   #53
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Graduated in good ole 69 and went to the 30th class reunion, graduating class was small maybe 150 or so. The small town is still the same old small town and actually looks worse every time I visit. Might go to the 50th reunion if it fits my schedule. I pretty much keep in touch with those I choose to via Facebook.
Old 10-07-2015, 07:14 AM   #54
Give me a forum ...

A number of the elementary grade school kids I remember pretty well also when on to my high school so a high school reunion cover "some of them".
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:32 AM   #55
Give me a forum ...

Most of my high school friends and my home community (2 hrs. away) are on Facebook. While we're pushing mid 60's, so many of those I grew up with look so much older. Most of those in my home community don't have the financial resources or lifestyle my wife and I enjoy. What we share in common was in 1960-1975, and we've long since gone different directions in life.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 12:05 PM   #56

Just got back from my 40th HS class reunion. Only 18 (out of 129) showed up, plus one of our teachers, but it was fun. We toured our elementary school - the wife of one classmate is now the principal. Also the former high school - now a church/community center (they consolidated high schools and middle schools and it closed as a school about 8 years ago). I'm friends on FB with 2 elementary friends who moved away before high school, would have been nice to see them also.

We had at least two people who didn't attend because of having been bullied (they posted on FB after the pictures were shared). Interesting that this doesn't seem to be uncommon.

I would agree that in general, the women look better than the men...
MBAustin is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2015, 12:46 AM   #57
Give me a forum ...

Just got back from my 40 year grade school reunion. I'm really glad that I went. Very good company and fun remembering some old times. Nice seeing what life paths we all took. Think including myself, there were only 1 or 2 folks who retired .