Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Netflix movie suggestion
Old 11-01-2015, 05:05 AM   #601
Recycles dryer sheets

Netflix movie suggestion

A
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-01-2015, 05:17 AM   #602
Recycles dryer sheets

AMC showed "The Tingler" for Halloween last night. I remember being scared bleepless by that as a young kid and hadn't seen it since. Watching it last night, I was amazed at how lame it was. You could almost see the strings pulling the inanimate rubber joke-shop toy across the floor.
Old 11-07-2015, 12:28 PM   #603
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just saw San Andreas from a NetFlix DVD. A non stop disaster film with "incredible" earthquakes and "incredible" special effects. The word "incredible" also could be applied to the main actors arms (Dwayne Johnson) in this film. The "pair" of leading actresses in this film were also incredible, in their own way.

Worth a watch (sort of) but not a keeper.
Car-Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:26 AM   #604
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Car-Guy View Post
Agreed!
Old 11-08-2015, 09:27 AM   #605
Give me a forum ...

Dallas Buyers Club was excellent, particularly the acting of Matthew McConaughey and Jared Leto. The both lost a lot of weight for their roles. Of course they did get Oscars and other awards.

Saving Mr. Banks was also enjoyable. Emma Thompson played the very difficult to please PL Travers, the author of the Mary Poppins books. She was born in Australia and the flashbacks to her early childhood and her relationship with her father (Colin Farrell) revealed the origins of her novels. Tom Hanks played Walt Disney, who was determined to buy the rights to the film. Disneyland and the Disney toys all appeared in their 1961 livery.

Both movies are based on true stories but take some artistic license. I learnt that PL Travers was so opposed to the use of animation in Mary Poppins that when Disney included the animated penguins despite her wishes, she refused to let them film her other work. And the Jennifer Garner and Jared Leto characters in DBC never existed in real life.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2015, 04:50 PM   #606
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

This is on Hoopla, not Netflix but I figure a lot of people get the Hoopla service for free from their library like we do. "CaveDigger" is a 45 minute documentary about a 65 year old artist in northern New Mexico that digs incredible subterranean cathedral like spaces by hand. I really like movies and books about people who are real eccentric"characters" Often with quirky overriding passions or obsessions. That is this guy. In spades.
Old 11-18-2015, 09:05 PM   #607
Administrator

On the BBC I just finished watching the detective series, "River", set in London. Very good. I saw today that it is available on Netflix streaming.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:22 PM   #608
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
On the BBC I just finished watching the detective series, "River", set in London. Very good. I saw today that it is available on Netflix streaming.
I just got an email from Netflix on that new addition. Thanks for the recommendation!
Old 11-18-2015, 11:20 PM   #609

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan View Post
I will second Alan's recommendation. I watched the first episode. Enjoyed it.
Old 11-19-2015, 10:47 AM   #610

Quote:
Just saw San Andreas from a NetFlix DVD. A non stop disaster film with "incredible" earthquakes and "incredible" special effects. The word "incredible" also could be applied to the main actors arms (Dwayne Johnson) in this film. The "pair" of leading actresses in this film were also incredible, in their own way.

DH just brought that one home for us to watch. It gave me a headache and got me all stressed out.
Old 11-19-2015, 04:01 PM   #611

Watched Alive last night. About the plane crash, I believe in 1972, of a Uruguay rugby team in the Andes. Amazing feat of survival.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
happy2bretired is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 04:42 PM   #612
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm obsessed with Doc Martin and The Way. Doc Martin starts out slow and then captures you. The new series is due out Dec 8. I don't now when Netflix will get it, but I've requested the DVD at the library. I'm number 22 so it will take awhile to get it.
A movie that I liked is "The Physician." Has some meat to it.
SkisALot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 06:39 PM   #613
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkisALot View Post
I'm obsessed with Doc Martin and The Way. Doc Martin starts out slow and then captures you. The new series is due out Dec 8. I don't now when Netflix will get it, but I've requested the DVD at the library. I'm number 22 so it will take awhile to get it.
A movie that I liked is "The Physician." Has some meat to it.
Doc Martin is my all time favorite of any other TV series I have watched. The humor is great, and the characters are all very interesting, compelling and well cast. I can't imagine anyone not liking the series, but then I raved about it to my sister (who has very different tastes than I do) and she did not care for it.(she has no taste )

I also thoroughly enjoyed "Last Tango in Halifax". More great actors and terrific story line.
modhatter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2015, 07:56 PM   #614
Give me a forum ...

I'm enjoying Better Call Saul. Good characterization of flawed characters, with a little humor.
Old 11-29-2015, 05:42 PM   #615
Give me a forum ...

I give 5 stars to The Best Offer.
http://instantwatcher.com/title/70270871
target2019 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2015, 06:00 PM   #616
Administrator

I've started watching The Man In The High Castle on Amazon Prime streaming. Based on a Philip K Dick novel, set in a distopian future of 1962 where Germany and Japan have won WW2. Excellent so far.
Old 11-29-2015, 10:52 PM   #617
Give me a forum ...

The Roosevelts. A documentary in 7 episodes by Ken Burns. Extremely detailed and very informative. I love a good documentary. And I find myself gravitating more to history than to any other subject.
Old 11-30-2015, 05:29 AM   #618
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

I think I would enjoy the film you mention. We just watched World War Z via NetFlix streaming a couple of weeks ago. It is about zombies, but very quick reacting ones and the movie was quite action packed from one scene to another with some special effects, and we were quite entertained from the beginning to the end. It's like riding a good roller coaster at an amusement park. I knew nobody important was going to die (ie. Brad Pitt) but still, I think it is quite entertaining if you like action packed movies.
tmm99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 07:08 AM   #619
Full time employment: Posting here.

People, Places, Things - light comedy about a single guy and his 2 young daughters. A really sweet story starring New Zealand actor Jemaine Clement. Clement also starred in What We Do in the Shadows (DVD only) - by far the funniest movie I've seen in a long long time.

The Last Time You Had Fun - romantic comedy / drama about 2 couples and one long night of conversation, soul searching and self-disdovery. Nothing too original but I really enjoyed it
DayDreaming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2015, 08:04 AM   #620
Give me a forum ...

the best offer was good, as was the circle - I'm going to try and watch man in the high castle if I can break away from my PS4 this week...