Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2016, 03:24 PM   #2301
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Just read this while on vacation. Elizebeth George, A Banquet of Consequences: https://www.amazon.com/Banquet-Consequences-Lynley-Novel-Inspector-ebook/dp/B00L9B7CGE

I liked to discussion of various paired relationships. Good mystery too with an interesting ending.

Quote:
The unspoken secrets and buried lies of one family rise to the surface in Elizabeth George’s newest novel of crime, passion, and tragic history. As Inspector Thomas Lynley investigates the London angle of an ever more darkly disturbing case, his partner, Barbara Havers, is looking behind the peaceful façade of country life to discover a twisted world of desire and deceit.

The suicide of William Goldacre is devastating to those left behind who will have to deal with its unintended consequences—could there be a link between the young man’s leap from a Dorset cliff and a horrific poisoning in Cambridge?
Here is a Wiki link the the entire Inspector Lynley series (in order):
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Elizabeth_George

The author is an American with a deep interest in British culture.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-13-2016, 03:29 PM   #2302

Quote:
Originally Posted by FI by 2024 View Post
If you liked the book, you'll like the movie. It's fairly faithful, and I think both were well executed.
Second this.

I read the book which is why went went to the movie, and we hadn't been to a movie theater for a decade. The movie is worth going to see.
Old 05-13-2016, 05:11 PM   #2303
Moderator Emeritus

Just started reading "The Paleo Solution: The Original Human Diet"
Old 05-24-2016, 02:33 PM   #2304
Give me a forum ...

Just started Seichō Matsumoto's Inspector Imanishi Investigates.

Inspector Imanishi Investigates by Seicho Matsumoto — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seich%C5%8D_Matsumoto

First published in 1961, and apparently not translated into English until 1989, it's interesting to note the era's cultural differences between Japan and the West...plus it's shaping up to be a good read.

The Winter's Tale, William Shakespeare
Old 05-24-2016, 02:51 PM   #2305
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I am rereading all my books by Apollo astronauts prior to attending Spacefest VII and meeting them.
Old 05-24-2016, 04:42 PM   #2306
Give me a forum ...

I am reading the Quirke series of murder mysteries by John Banville, writing as Benjamin Black.

Benjamin Black - Books by Benjamin Black
Old 05-24-2016, 05:32 PM   #2307

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I am rereading all my books by Apollo astronauts prior to attending Spacefest VII and meeting them.
Will there be a test? Have a great time.
Old 05-24-2016, 05:39 PM   #2308
Give me a forum ...

20,000 Leagues under the Sea - Jules Verne

Free kindle book and I got the unedited (just translated) version with all the marine life well documented. That I didn't need, should have done the edited (100 pages less) version.
Old 05-25-2016, 07:25 PM   #2309
Give me a forum ...

Just finished Michael Connelly's The Concrete Blonde. This is so far my favorite Harry Bosch novel, https://www.amazon.com/Concrete-Blon...indle-redirect
Quote:
They call him the Dollmaker, a serial killer who stalks Los Angeles and leaves a grisly calling card on the faces of his female victims. When a suspect is shot by Detective Harry Bosch, everyone believes the city's nightmare is over. But then the dead man's widow sues Harry and the LAPD for killing the wrong man--an accusation that rings terrifyingly true when a new corpse is found with the Dollmaker's macabre signature. Now, for the second time, Harry must hunt down a ruthless death-dealer before he strikes again. Careening through a blood-tracked quest, Harry will go from the hard edges of the L.A. night to the last place he ever wanted to go--the darkness of his own heart...
Old 05-25-2016, 07:27 PM   #2310
Give me a forum ...

Cool, sounds like my kinda stuff - bloody, dark and violent pulp fiction -
Old 05-25-2016, 08:07 PM   #2311
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lsbcal View Post
Just finished Michael Connelly's The Concrete Blonde.
If you haven't already read this non-fiction book of his you might enjoy it:

Crime Beat by Michael Connelly

Old 05-25-2016, 09:18 PM   #2312
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
Just started Seichō Matsumoto's Inspector Imanishi Investigates.

Inspector Imanishi Investigates by Seicho Matsumoto — Reviews, Discussion, Bookclubs, Lists

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seich%C5%8D_Matsumoto

First published in 1961, and apparently not translated into English until 1989, it's interesting to note the era's cultural differences between Japan and the West...plus it's shaping up to be a good read.
Just put this on reserve at my library--thanks!
Old 05-25-2016, 10:04 PM   #2313
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nemo2 View Post
If you haven't already read this non-fiction book of his you might enjoy it:

Crime Beat by Michael Connelly
This is just the book I was thinking would be great to read. Thanks. It's in the library too.
Old 05-26-2016, 02:58 PM   #2314
Give me a forum ...

The Forgotten - David Baldacci

John Puller is Baldacci's Jack Reacher. Cool names eh?

This will satisfy all your blood lust for sure, the body count is over 50.
Old 05-26-2016, 03:39 PM   #2315
Recycles dryer sheets

Almost done with Born to Run by Christopher Mcdougall. Trying to show that humans were in fact made for running and long distances at that. :O)

Recently finished Double Dead by Chuck Wendig. A story about a Vampire named Coburn who wakes up in a zombie infested world. Entertaining, but I could have done with out the language. Not a fan of profanity.

cd :O)
Old 05-26-2016, 04:57 PM   #2316

Leah Remini's Troublemaker, about her many-year involvement with the Church of Scientology and break with it. Interesting read.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:42 AM   #2317

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbieB View Post
Make Me - Lee Child

If it's Jack Reacher, it's on my list!

This is a particularly disturbing tale of dark stuff on the "deep web", with the worst sort of evil bad guys I've read about in a long time and you just know they are evil right from the start.

But just how evil is not revealed till the end. That's when Reacher kills them all -

Thanks Robbie I've read 2 of them so far ...page turners.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forumh
Old 05-28-2016, 02:02 PM   #2318
Administrator

Just finished "Master and Commander", the first novel in the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. I'm surprised never to have seen my father read this - it was all things he loved in a book, yet I never saw it in his house. Oh well, I'll read it for him - going to buy the next volume.
Old 05-28-2016, 03:08 PM   #2319
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Just finished "Master and Commander", the first novel in the Aubrey-Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian. I'm surprised never to have seen my father read this - it was all things he loved in a book, yet I never saw it in his house. Oh well, I'll read it for him - going to buy the next volume.
This reminded me that I have a companion book to the O'Brian series. It's called A Sea of Words : Amazon.com: A Sea of Words, Third Edition: A Lexicon and Companion to the Complete Seafaring Tales of Patrick O'Brian (9780805066159): Dean King, John B. Hattendorf, J. Worth Estes: Books

It has a few chapters of historical explanations. Then it has a section on maps and types of ships and ship diagrams with illustrations. Most of the book is a glossary of nautical terms.
Old 05-29-2016, 09:52 AM   #2320
Give me a forum ...

Just started The Nearest Exit by Olen Steinhauer, (had I been aware of it beforehand I would have begun with his earlier book The Tourist, but 'spilled milk' and all that).

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...vqQcWBFddUF-0=

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/05/23/bo.../Hammer-t.html

Closed Thread