Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-26-2016, 11:21 AM   #41
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Given the number of Ph.Ds they grant in the liberal arts, where the only thing you can do is fight for the limited number of Adjunct Assistant positions open in academia, I doubt universities spend a lot of time worrying about that.
Not only liberal arts.

I think the ratio is about 5 PhDs for one slot in academia right now.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-26-2016, 12:48 PM   #42
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totoro View Post
Not only liberal arts.

I think the ratio is about 5 PhDs for one slot in academia right now.

Outside of liberal arts, there are at least more opportunities in businesses. Many of the actuaries I know have Ph.Ds in Math; similarly, doctorates in Engineering, Geology, Biology, etc. can get you a good non-academic job. Much harder if it's in Art History or English Literature.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 05:51 PM   #43
gone traveling

I like the coursework because it's an oppy to interact and mentor the younger generation informally.
For me, that is a life satisfaction and fulfillment issue. Less about personally acquiring knowledge and more about helping others along the same journey.
papadad111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:16 PM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

It's an interesting problem. While I totally agree with people who say what's important is to do what you want... in practice what you want is effected he what others do, the envy you feel and so on. It's not like they are separate parts of the brain or emotions.

So I think... don't try too hard to remove the envy or doubt. It's OK to be envious and it's OK to be doubtful... that's part of the decision making process. It's also OK to decide one way and change your mind later (although this can have huge ranges of difficulty).

Something I tried to get out of these funks is to try and so something I never thought I was good at... or all that interested in. In my case it was drawing.

I just started drawing 20-30 minutes a day, looking at YouTube videos reading articles. My drawing is way better but still crappy . But... it caused me to focus on something, see progress and learn to focus and concentrate outside of the "thou shalt do this" environment that work and school tend towards.

Sent from my HTC One_M8 using Early Retirement Forum mobile app
petershk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2016, 05:45 PM   #45
Recycles dryer sheets

I just wanted to chime in how excellent this thread and its responses have been. Too many to quote and relate to. Thumbs up!
RioIndy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 12:13 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Many of us cause ourselves stress by thinking we should not have feelings that we have. "I am feeling a bit jealous of my former colleague who got an interesting job and a big raise" followed by "I should not be feeling jealous, why am I feeling jealous, I don't like that I feel jealous, I need to eliminate that feeling, etc." Instead of criticizing yourself for feeling something, it might be better to just accept that you feel it: "OK, so I am feeling a bit jealous. that is interesting; I never expected to feel jealous of a guy who is working when I don't have to work. But I guess that is understandable, since I spent so many years working and competing. Maybe its not really possible to change one's orientation 100%. Anyway, if I am jealous of his promotion, he and others are probably jealous of my leisure. So everyone is, I guess, sometimes, a little bit jealous. Or at least I am. Now, remind me, when is my tee time tomorrow?" It is not always easy to uncritically accept our feelings. But it is something to aspire to.
medved is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 02:24 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

"comparison is the thief of joy"
Vagabond2020 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2016, 04:15 PM   #48
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Eh, about 40 years ago I decided that I have no peers.

Therefore never a concern of what peers thought. Or for that matter I never gave a rat's a$$ of what any one thought about what I do or don't. The only one that counts is DW, though we agree to disagree on some stuff.
Old 06-18-2016, 12:42 PM   #49
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Birds1Stone View Post
"comparison is the thief of joy"
Interesting. I have always reminded myself that no matter what I do, there are 1 million people who could do it better than me.

Maybe that is why I feel crappy all the time.
zesty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2016, 12:50 PM   #50
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by zesty View Post
Interesting. I have always reminded myself that no matter what I do, there are 1 million people who could do it better than me.

Maybe that is why I feel crappy all the time.
Yeah.

Also: most important things are being worked on by far capable people than myself, so no need for me. Unimportant things too actually.

Stare at the eternal nothingness, know you are heading there fast. And still be happy. Behold the challenge of living as a human.
Totoro is offline   Reply With Quote