Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-22-2016, 09:36 AM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
Got it. It's Croatia. I had to search on Google. Here's a site with jersey images: All 32 World Cup kits ranked from best to worst - SBNation.com

Interestingly enough, if you search for "soccer fans red white squares," this thread is the first hit. I had to modify the query to "checkered jersey." Amazing how quickly Google indexes websites.
Yay - thanks for figuring that out for me! I was seeing the blue top too. Now that makes sense!

Interesting about the Google indexing!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-22-2016, 10:56 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

I will agree that US played very poorly... not even up to their standards... but remember that Argentina is ranked #1 right now...

I do think part of the problem is the coach... but, the powers that be think he is the savior and will not budge no matter what happens on the field....

I wish they would not have made it to the semis... that seems to show they are better than they really are... remember, they did not qualify for the Olympics...
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2016, 01:35 PM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
That's what we're doing in this thread.

+1

I don't understand the "soccer is irrelevant" drive-by comments in soccer threads.
By non soccer fans.

You don't see that kind of thing in NFL threads.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
mh is offline   Reply With Quote
Great Time for Soccer Fans
Old 06-22-2016, 01:50 PM   #24

Great Time for Soccer Fans

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post
I will agree that US played very poorly... not even up to their standards... but remember that Argentina is ranked #1 right now...

I do think part of the problem is the coach... but, the powers that be think he is the savior and will not budge no matter what happens on the field....

I wish they would not have made it to the semis... that seems to show they are better than they really are... remember, they did not qualify for the Olympics...

It's good that they played Argentina and had their mike Tyson-esque

"everybody has a plan till they get punched in the face " moment

They basically had two ways to go at the game
1) go at them full bore and hope the goal keeper and center backs have Lady Luck with them and bail you out through the game and score a goal or two

2) do the Italian "park the bus" and hope you can nick a goal on a set piece or infrequent counter attack

It looks like the plan was supposed to be (1) but they got punched in the face after 3 minutes and then ended up doing neither one or two. As a result they got beaten soundly by arguably the best team in the world at the moment

They also had 3 of their starters out due to yellow cards etc.. Which hindered them badly

Old 06-22-2016, 02:10 PM   #25

The US was outplayed by Argentina. I don't think that's a big shocker. They played an ok game, but really didn't have a chance. After the first goal 3 minutes into the game, they could have fallen apart, but they didn't.

I think it's amazing they made it this far. They made it to the semi-finals and get a chance to play for 3rd place. Pretty good, IMO.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:21 AM   #26
Administrator

Chile - campiones de Copa America!

Chile - Argentina was a good match, but very defensive. Neither team scored and the match was decided by penalty shots. A fantastic save by Chile's keeper Bravo will be remembered for ages. Argentina's Messi missed his shot and afterwards announced his retirement from international football. Lionel Messi: Argentina forward retires from international football - BBC Sport
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2016, 03:06 PM   #27

Great game for Iceland. One my favorites from Euro2016.

It'll be interesting to see how they play against France. England definitely had issues today and Iceland might not get that lucky again.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:19 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by tulak View Post
Great game for Iceland. One my favorites from Euro2016.

It'll be interesting to see how they play against France. England definitely had issues today and Iceland might not get that lucky again.
Yes, it was a good game for Iceland.... and I am also rooting for them now...

England has crashed out of almost all major tournaments... I was living in the UK during Euro 2000 and was in a pool... I had picked England to go a good ways as they had a good team... one of my employees told me that I was not going to win since no matter how good a team England puts on the filed they never win... the story is the same 16 years later....
Texas Proud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 06:17 AM   #29

I've watched most of the matches. The Italy/Spain yesterday was one of the best so far. Germany/Italy on Saturday is a must see as the Italians never lost to the Germans in competitive football but Germany is the reigning World champs.

England's loss to Iceland is pretty embarrassing considering Iceland is the size of RI with 1/3 the population. The French must play better than they've played so far to beat Iceland on Saturday or their coach will follow his English counterpart to the unemployment line.
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2016, 09:41 AM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corporateburnout View Post
England's loss to Iceland is pretty embarrassing considering Iceland is the size of RI with 1/3 the population.
I think more people live in my county in ID than live in Iceland
Old 06-28-2016, 01:07 PM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Hitter View Post
I think more people live in my county in ID than live in Iceland

Probably , a little over 330,000 people live in Iceland .

Old 06-28-2016, 01:59 PM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
Probably , a little over 330,000 people live in Iceland .

and the US team probably can't beat them either
Old 06-28-2016, 02:10 PM   #33

Quote:
Football (soccer) has never been a major sport in the US. It's fanaticism in England....
Corporateburnout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2016, 01:02 PM   #34

Quote:

Actually they can. They beat them a few months ago in a friendly. granted , it was a friendly , but it was an indicator they are completely capable of beating them.

Old 06-29-2016, 01:12 PM   #35

Quote:
Football (soccer) has never been a major sport in the US. It's fanaticism in England....

It's within the realm of argument that the MLS is now very close to being a major sport in the us - average attendance is now already greater than the nba and the nhl . They have a long way to go in the television revenue scheme of things - but since they are putting people in the stands , it's probably just a matter of time before they start catching up in that area

Old 06-29-2016, 01:28 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mh View Post
It's within the realm of argument that the MLS is now very close to being a major sport in the us - average attendance is now already greater than the nba and the nhl . They have a long way to go in the television revenue scheme of things - but since they are putting people in the stands , it's probably just a matter of time before they start catching up in that area

Houston Dynamo crowds are crazy
Old 06-29-2016, 01:30 PM   #37
Give me a forum ...

I actually worked with Bobby Boswell's brother for a few years.
Old 07-03-2016, 03:15 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Germany/Italy on Saturday is a must see as the Italians never lost to the Germans in competitive football but Germany is the reigning World champs.
1 all in complete time and overtime. 6:5 for Germany in penalty shots. Very exciting here in Koblenz.
Old 07-10-2016, 07:57 AM   #39
Administrator

The final match is today at 2:00 eastern time. Surprise finalists - Portugal vs France. Stay tuned ..
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2016, 08:05 AM   #40
Administrator

Portugal beat Wales in the semi final and the Telegraph cartoonist Matt had a great cartoon the following day. (For those that don't know, Wales has a railway station with the longest name in the country)
Attached Images
File Type: png Screen Shot 2016-07-10 at 15.01.00.png (144.0 KB, 7 views)