Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-26-2016, 06:12 PM   #61
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

I tried to almost 2 years ago.

Just a ridiculous update. One of the docs came to me to ask about something about the August schedule. Ummm...I'm done. I said I'm not working. He abruptly said ok. It's beginning to feel like I need a legislative act to stop working. No means no. Good grief!!!!
EastWest Gal is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2016, 06:25 PM   #62
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

It's pretty easy. Just stop going in. They'll figure it out after a couple days.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:05 PM   #63
Full time employment: Posting here.

I think the hardest thing to get used to is life will go on without you! And the things that now are meaningless to you (August schedules for example) still have an outlandish importance to them. Make the break. Switch your mind to your new state. Let them continue in the old. Don't look back too much. Try not to get caught up in the minutiae of gossip or drama or the rhythm of the work life. Your focus should be on your future - without them

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Dd852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:07 AM   #64
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dd852 View Post
I think the hardest thing to get used to is life will go on without you! And the things that now are meaningless to you (August schedules for example) still have an outlandish importance to them. Make the break. Switch your mind to your new state. Let them continue in the old. Don't look back too much. Try not to get caught up in the minutiae of gossip or drama or the rhythm of the work life. Your focus should be on your future - without them

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
I second this recommendation. Their lives revolve around w*rk, whereas yours WILL NOT (at least it better not!!!). About a year after I retired, I went to a former co-workers promotion party (at his house, not the official one) and after about an hour, I was ready to kill myself. Everyone would not stop talking about w*rk...every single time I tried to divert conversations to something OTHER than w*rk, it took about 2 minutes to circle back around. After that episode, I decided that I would most likely not attend anymore "fun functions" of former co-w*rkers...it's just too depressing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastWest Gal View Post
I tried to almost 2 years ago.

Just a ridiculous update. One of the docs came to me to ask about something about the August schedule. Ummm...I'm done. I said I'm not working. He abruptly said ok. It's beginning to feel like I need a legislative act to stop working. No means no. Good grief!!!!
Ah yes, people who don't "get the memo." For the last couple years of my career, I often got calls from folks around the AF looking for my opinion or "expert advice" on stuff that was airplane related. I was a true "subject matter expert" and was in the position to be "in the know" for R&D progression as well as knowing about issues with the latest software updates, etc. BUT...after I retired, these calls continued...even from people that KNEW I was retired. They would get quite miffed when I told them, "I don't know. Call someone who cares...it's not my deal anymore." After about a month of that madness, I changed my voicemail to highlight the fact that I would not return any calls that were related to official airplane "stuff" and stopped answering the phone unless I *knew* who it was. It took about 2 more weeks for the message to sink in and I haven't had one of those calls in a very long time.

So my advice? Stop being so dependable and helpful. By the time you leave, if everyone is READY for you to get the hell out, then you will be in good shape to not get those calls!
Old 07-27-2016, 11:09 AM   #65

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
Congrats!
Make sure you are out of town for August.
I second that. Also tell them you aren't taking phones or other electronics. You can, but just don't reply unless you really want to.
Taxman59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:13 AM   #66
Give me a forum ...

Atta girl!!! Congrats!!!
Old 07-28-2016, 04:57 PM   #67
Give me a forum ...

Perhaps wearing this T shirt would convey the message.

Take your silly-assed problem down the hall | T-Shirt | SKREENED
Old 07-29-2016, 05:44 PM   #68

You helped me make the decision to be FIRE'd.

Can't wear the shirt at work and it's not my style of speech. When you work taking care of newborns, there are no silly ass problems.

Sunday will be my last day. The practice is disintegrating. Too bad. The leadership vacuum is the obvious problem. It's sad.

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
Old 07-30-2016, 06:23 AM   #69

I have borrowed a phrase from my sister: It's a problem, but it is not my problem. It helps me to realize that there is nothing I can do to fix whatever the problem is. (Usually, in relation to my DD and her family.) I used to want to jump in and fix whatever the problem was, but they have to live their own lives. Your practice is going to have to fix their own problems.

Congrats to you and I hope that you enjoy the theater, music and the arts and your retirement!
Dreamer is online now   Reply With Quote
It is a done deal
Old 08-01-2016, 10:58 AM   #70

It is a done deal

This week was a doozy. Worked 50 hours in 4 days (5 calendar days). Finished at 6PM yesterday. Went into the hospital today to turn in my time sheet (I'm an independent contractor) for the month, turned in my office key, and brought bagels and cream cheese for the nurses. One last goodbye to a few people and I was gone.

This time feels very different. In 2014 I was stunned when I suddenly had free time. I've had more free time and have travelled these last two years but returning from travel to work where the best people are leaving/have left was distressing.

It is much easier to just walk away to my own life. No parties, no accolades. Former coworkers will fade in my life, as I will in theirs. Friends will stick around and become more important. I have band practice twice this week, loads of weeding to do, and we are looking at a slow upgrade of many parts of the house--painting, carpets, probably changing light fixtures, etc.

DH just finished a show. DS is volunteering as a marching band instructor while the job search is on. He was supposed to be gone all day, but band camp got cancelled because DJT political rally is happening at his high school tonight and security kicked them out. He actually will be working part time for the group I just left too. We're all home together this afternoon, and it's sweet.

When you are retired, your time and activities belong to you and those you love.

When you work for someone else, you are told where to be and what to do. When you own your own business, your business owns you.
I feel like shouting from the rooftop today
Old 08-01-2016, 03:16 PM   #71

Quote:
I feel like shouting from the rooftop today
Wow, it sounds like you needed to retire! Congratulations on making it.
Old 08-01-2016, 03:25 PM   #72
Give me a forum ...

Congratulations! Good for you, that you have so many wonderful talents and interests to devote yourself to.

As a patient, I mourn the accumulation of BS constraints and requirements that have made good physicians' working lives miserable, and keep them from serving their patients to the very best of their ability. I can see the difference in my own doctors - they are starting to slip up on things because their time is so sliced-and-diced.
Amethyst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2016, 12:52 PM   #73
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Can't wear the shirt at work and it's not my style of speech. When you work taking care of newborns, there are no silly ass problems.

Sunday will be my last day. The practice is disintegrating. Too bad. The leadership vacuum is the obvious problem. It's sad.

Clearly a failed attempt at humor on my part. I do know doctoring does not include silly. It was more for the idea of co-workers not accepting your departure.
Old 08-02-2016, 01:56 PM   #74
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
When you are retired, your time and activities belong to you and those you love.
^ There is SOOOO much truth to this and is signature worthy!

I am of the mindset that there is nobody out there that would pay me ENOUGH to give up the freedom of MY TIME...it is truly PRICELESS.

Again, a hearty congratulations to you AGAIN! It's a happy, happy, happy day with many more to come!
Old 08-07-2016, 06:07 PM   #75

Congrats! I thought you returned as part time, 50 hours doesn't sound part time.
My primary doctor just 'retired' by going to urgent care. Said the paperwork and politics there is someone elses problems. Sad to see good doctors leaving.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:37 PM   #76

Quote:
Pulling out my introductory thread again. It appears our medical director is pulling out the OMY routine on me. I have 16 work days left, and he has asked me to consider working at our second hospital in a different capacity. The stress level on mind and body is about 1/5 that where I work now. The money would be about half and doesn't include health insurance.

It would help with expenses this next 12 months but is it worth it?

I don't know, I guess we'll make the old pros and cons list and see how it shapes up.

Well, this comes from a former teacher who retired with a MUCH lower net worth than yours. But my OMY experience was similar. The school offered me other options, but I still had a strong sense that it was time for me to leave (mainly because DH was terminally ill). But then they offered me a 2-day/month mentoring position (helping new staff meet their state licensing requirements), which I did take. I only did it for the first 4 years of ER, and the extra $ was nice. But DH and I were very happy to learn that we were able to live on less than we had planned for in ER. And that added to my happiness that I took the plunge when I did.

We never wanted for anything and enjoyed some luxuries. Of course, the best part was that we had two good years of ER before he passed away. I could have spent those two years slaving away on the job while his health continued to decline. It's such a relief to look back and know that I made the right choice.

Even without DH's health issues, though, ER was worth the risk. It has been WAY more affordable than our calculations had predicted.
Old 08-07-2016, 08:54 PM   #77

So Sorry, E/W Gal......

I didn't read the dates on your original posts, so just noticed your 7/16 update describing your decision to fully retire. Congratulations! Your practice was fortunate that you stayed with them a couple years longer than expected. But it also sounds like you came to a point where you "had your fill" of all the logistics that had so little to do with caring for your patients.

Am so glad that you now will have time to enjoy your interests!!