Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-27-2016, 09:27 AM   #241
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
Yeah, I'd say so! My Dad bought an inexpensive Breitling back in the 1970s just because he liked it. Apparently it's now "vintage" and desirable. He's 85 and still wears it daily.
This one is a 1985 vintage. Found on ebay with a few "problems" and got for a song. Sent to Breitling for overhaul. Total was 1/4 or less a new Navitimer.
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-27-2016, 10:19 AM   #242
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pilot2013 View Post
Do these qualify?
I don't know.

Saw S.1 and his S.O. recently at a get-together. I had to ask DW if S.O.'s engagement ring was bigger/nicer than hers (different cuts). As is often the case in this area, I sparked laughter. Apparently the kids didn't just go to the pawnshop and buy a "reasonable" diamond like we did. (They can easily afford it though...)
Old 07-27-2016, 11:32 AM   #243
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2017ish View Post
I don't know.

Saw S.1 and his S.O. recently at a get-together. I had to ask DW if S.O.'s engagement ring was bigger/nicer than hers (different cuts). As is often the case in this area, I sparked laughter. Apparently the kids didn't just go to the pawnshop and buy a "reasonable" diamond like we did. (They can easily afford it though...)
Pilot2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:09 PM   #244
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by athena53 View Post
I had an interesting Bling experience yesterday.

Last month we visited my 85-year old mother, who is getting hospice care at home for the cancer that's ravaging her body (she chose not to fight it and we support that). She's been giving away a lot of her things and as the oldest daughter I got her engagement ring and another diamond engagement ring that belonged to a great-great aunt. Mom always wore both but said she was afraid they'd disappear if she ended up unconscious in a hospital. I bought a 3rd diamond to match them from Blue Nile.

Two days ago we got the news that my husband's polycythemia has morphed to acute myeloid leukemia. We've known this was a possibility since he was diagnosed with polycythemia over 10 years ago and are grateful for the good years we've had since. Monday we meet with a doctor about his possibly entering a clinical trial for a promising new drug, but it may be Game Over and, at almost 78, it's to be expected.

So- with that happy prologue- yesterday I went into the nicest jewelry store in the area (Tivol, for those of you who know KC) and handed over the rings and the 3rd diamond to have them all set in a platinum band. As they wrote it up, I had plenty of time to wander around and admire the merchandise, most of it laughingly outside of my reality (a lovely diamond parure- too substantial to be called a necklace- was $55,000). It was beautiful, it was calming. These things are virtually permanent (provided they're not lost or stolen). The workmanship was amazing. The ring I'm having made, God willing, will go to my daughter-in-law and then to my granddaughter.

I'm not into retail therapy but it was good to be briefly surrounded by such beauty, even though it was partially man-made. I'm sure Amethyst can relate!

So sorry to hear about your husband, my late husband also lost his battle with AML in 2012. Unfortunately my hubby was only 53.

So I'm not a retail or bling basher, I'm more of a "big picture" gal. Day to day I'm pretty budget conscious so I don't stress if I drop 2k on a bag every 10 years. Enjoy your beauty however or wherever you find it. losing a hubby, a baby brother and a best friend all under 55 has definitely drummed home the "life is short" point
Old 07-27-2016, 01:32 PM   #245
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bclover View Post
Enjoy your beauty however or wherever you find it. losing a hubby, a baby brother and a best friend all under 55 has definitely drummed home the "life is short" point

Thanks! I know that bling won't bring Mom back after she's gone but it will mean so much to have the diamond Dad placed in her finger 60+ years ago. I used to watch "Antiques Roadshow" and joke to DH that I wished someone in my family had left me a canary yellow diamond ring worth $75,000 but my relatives were mostly happy to die debt-free. I'm glad to have a few more modest pieces from my mother.
athena53 is offline   Reply With Quote