Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-26-2016, 09:56 AM   #41
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW_M5 View Post
Sounds like me. Road a lot back in the late 70s and early 80s when living in Stamford, CT. Used to love the very hilly and curvy backroads up through Pound Ridge, NY. Had a high end Trek, columbus tubing, campy components and in those days no helmet. When it rained would train indoors on Kreitler rollers, which were great for improving balance. As my career progressed didn't have time for it anymore and then after arriving in Texas, came to the same conclusion about the danger on the roadways. Back in my younger days, drivers were not nearly as courteous to bikers as they are today, but even now thats still a problem despite all the share the roadway messages.
When we lived in Southbury, Connecticut, I rode a mountain bike quite a bit to coincide with my long distance running habit. There were lots of old fire roads through the woods and lightly traveled roads so biking was pretty safe. I alo had a few motorcycles back then.

Now around here, you have be prepared to deal with the large increase in traffic and drivers who really don't care much in sharing the roads with bikers. There have been a few very nasty accidents in the last year where bikers came out on the bad end, one getting killed.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-26-2016, 10:00 AM   #42
Moderator Emeritus

Great thing about my F150. After folding the back seat up, i throw the bike in the back seat and take off to whatever trailhead I want to start at. No need for a bike rack or truck bed rearranging.

Sent from my iPad using Early Retirement Forum
Ronstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:28 AM   #43
Moderator Emeritus

Bicycles? Pfft.

I am 68 right now. Some people age faster than others, and maybe I am old for 68. I think you get the idea. Look up "ancient" in the dictionary, and you will see my photo there. I had several bad falls before my cataract surgery, and do not want to fall any more.

Anyway, as I age, I am feeling less and less sure of my balance and also less and less sure that I would find a fall off of a bicycle to be trivial. I even hang on to hand rails on stairs, and step down off curbs very slowly and carefully. Seems prudent.

I decided that my bike riding from now on will be limited to stationary bikes, for safety reasons. Besides, the hot, humid weather here doesn't often make outdoor bike riding a very attractive form of exercise. And then like Aja8888 I am concerned about the dangers from oblivious drivers, as well.

Frank bought a trail bike a few years ago, and when I moved in here a year ago he asked to store it in my (gigantic) garage, so there it sits. He hasn't ridden it.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 11:47 AM   #44
Recycles dryer sheets

I have 3 bikes down from 5 - part of the downsizing for ER

1 MTB with slick tires to run errands and get around town. 1 road bike - 20 years old but a nice carbon Trek for casual rides. And a Tri bike since I still do an occasional triathlon and I love the time trial position and the feeling of going really fast.

Always use the bike in the summer as much as I can - DW is a big biker as well.

Some day I would like a new road bike - but I'll probably take my time and get a used one or last years model.

I see more bikers around town than ever - all ages.

I see a trend in electric bikes which will be nice when I still want to ride but I can't pedal the distance.
LastOfTheBoomers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 12:41 PM   #45
Moderator Emeritus

Interesting thread. DH (68 this year) just bought an all-purpose bike yesterday and we went for a short ride this morning around our neighborhood, me on my 40-year-old three-speed for 30 minutes in second gear and him doubling the distance. I do feel nervous riding it, from my own klutziness and fear of falling and not from the minimal traffic in our very quiet and mostly flat town. We will do this for fun, in the built for comfort and not speed mode, and extend the distance every time.

We bought our first helmets ever, too. Life is different these days.
Old 07-26-2016, 12:55 PM   #46
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you bike? Yes
How often? 3-5 days per week
Road, path or trail... cross country? At least 3 days road biking, about 2 days per week MTB
Length of ride? Road - 45-50 miles per day, MTB 10-15 miles
Part of a group? Almost always with a bike club - more fun that way
What kind of a bike (bikes)? Road, trail, recumbent etc. Specialized Roubaix road bike, Trek Superfly mountain bike
Been biking since teen years, but more seriously the past 2 years. Expect to bike until 80 (that be 25 years - dad is still road biking, often with this same club)

Fun thread, seeing what others are doing! My mileage/days per week are ramping up as I retire in less than a month and current work schedule allows me to ride before work.
Old 07-26-2016, 04:45 PM   #47
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you bike? Yes
How often? Typically 4 times a week
Road, path or trail... cross country? Road only
Length of ride? 3 rides to the gym ~17 total and one long ride on Sunday ~40-50 miles Occasionally the Wed Legs day at the gym will be replaced with a much longer ride usually 50-60 miles
Part of a group? Never with a group
What kind of a bike (bikes)? Road, trail, recumbent etc. And old ('82) steel for the gym and a new (2013) Cannondale CAAD 10-3 for the long rides
Been biking since I was a kid
Expect to bike until I can't or a car kills me which is kind of the same

I thought I'd see more people like a couple of people I've chatted with on longer rides here. They were both 300 mile a week people. In fact that 65 year old that told me that said you can't be any good unless you do at least that much. But it would get me divorced so I stick with my current schedule
Old 07-26-2016, 07:42 PM   #48
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Occasional bike riding for fun, to the bar, or the store, or a local festival.

Dahon mu with a da'vinci n360 CVT drivetrain. (Folding bike)

Sent from my iPhone using Early Retirement Forum
dallas27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2016, 08:37 PM   #49
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by nuke_diver View Post

I thought I'd see more people like a couple of people I've chatted with on longer rides here. They were both 300 mile a week people. In fact that 65 year old that told me that said you can't be any good unless you do at least that much...
I wonder why they think you have to be "good" at riding a bicycle and what that means--move those pedals, stay upright, feel the breeze in your face? Good enough for me!
Old 07-26-2016, 11:54 PM   #50
Recycles dryer sheets

Do you bike? Yes!
How often? 6 days per week.
On the Road
Length of ride? 17miles round-trip to/from work, also on Saturday (length varies: 20-60mi)
Part of a group? Not usually. Mostly by myself, or with husband.
What kind of a bike (bikes)? Road -- specifically Rivendell bikes
Been biking since 1999... Expect to bike until 2049
slowsaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 08:19 AM   #51
Recycles dryer sheets

Rear view mirrors are something I've experimented with over the last several years. The 'purists' seem to shun mirrors, but for those of us riding city streets, I highly recommend them.

I finally found one that I like very much. The 'Take-A-Look' mirror is small and very durable. Two versions available. I use the compact. They're designed to be mounted on rims of eye glasses, but the majority I see are helmet mounted, which is how I have mine mounted. Other than the helmet, it's the best piece of safety gear I have. Couldn't do without it.

https://www.amazon.com/Bike-Peddler-...compact+mirror

Helmet mounted.
https://velohobo.files.wordpress.com...15-800x550.jpg

...open up your mind and see like me...
Avalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 09:20 AM   #52
Dryer sheet aficionado

Do you bike? Yes
How often? 4-7 days a week
Road, path or trail... cross country? All
Length of ride? 25-100 - Recently finish a cross-country self supported tour at bit over 2000mi to Bar Harbor,ME and 2yrs ago completed a 3600mi tour to Santa Barbara,CA. Many century and double centuries during the 80's-90's
Raced for about 12yrs
Part of a group? Mainly solo- Rode with team during racing yrs and week long tours (BTC,RTR and others)
What kind of a bike (bikes)? Several both Ti & Steel Road, Surly Disc Trucker Touring, Litespeed Mtn bike.
Been biking since? Since kid - More so the last 30ys
Expect to bike until ? Until they pull the plug
bks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 10:10 AM   #53
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post
Rear view mirrors are something I've experimented with over the last several years. The 'purists' seem to shun mirrors, but for those of us riding city streets, I highly recommend them.

I finally found one that I like very much. The 'Take-A-Look' mirror is small and very durable. Two versions available. I use the compact. They're designed to be mounted on rims of eye glasses, but the majority I see are helmet mounted. Other than the helmet, it's the best piece of safety gear I have. Couldn't do without it.

Helmet mounted.
Can't do that. I want to look like a Tour de France biker.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg fat guy riding bike.jpg (248.8 KB, 4 views)
Old 07-27-2016, 10:33 AM   #54

I'm slow in all 3 aspects, and don't do long distances, but I am a triathlete. So, yes, cycling is a major part of my fitness activities. I cycle about 3 times/week.
I have 2 relatively new bikes, road bike and a hybrid, so I have choices between riding on paved surfaces and dirt. Running remains my favorite passion, but every time I'm on one of my bikes I'm in a state of ecstasy.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 11:41 AM   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon View Post

I finally found one that I like very much. The 'Take-A-Look' mirror is small and very durable. Two versions available. I use the compact. They're designed to be mounted on rims of eye glasses, but the majority I see are helmet mounted. Other than the helmet, it's the best piece of safety gear I have. Couldn't do without it.

Helmet mounted.
I think a rear view mirror is an absolute necessity. When I hear a vehicle approaching, I take a quick look to make sure it's moving over. Literally couldn't live without it.

I recommend Tiger Eye. Home
Which Roger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 12:37 PM   #56
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Which Roger View Post
I think a rear view mirror is an absolute necessity. When I hear a vehicle approaching, I take a quick look to make sure it's moving over. Literally couldn't live without it.
Our VBT bikes had them and I was impressed with their utility. I think it is like AC. Once you have had it, it is essential...

(BTW the VBT itinerary was 45 to 65 km per day, and, with my compromised legs, I was concerned, but it was no problem and almost completely on bike trails along the river. Very safe.)
Old 07-27-2016, 02:13 PM   #57
gone traveling

Used a small clip on mirror that could be attached to eye glass frame, very helpful.
eytonxav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 04:29 PM   #58

I tried the helmet mounted clip on mirror but it just didn't work for me. I have one that plugs into the end of the handle bar, works great for me.
zinger1457 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2016, 05:56 PM   #59
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by zinger1457 View Post
I tried the helmet mounted clip on mirror but it just didn't work for me. I have one that plugs into the end of the handle bar, works great for me.
I don't use a mirror I do it the old fashion way by looking behind me but I thought those ones like this would be best for me. The helmet mount just seems to get in the way though I know a lot of people use them.

If I'm on a road where looking back might cause me to steer slightly towards the car I just stay put and don't look. I don't worry a lot about cars behind me hitting me (yeah it could happen) but I have more problems with the cars that pass me and then turn in front of me and a mirror isn't a solution to that problem . The mirror is likely better for seeing other cyclists come up behind me since they are often riding much closer to me (ie in the bike lane).
Old 07-27-2016, 09:00 PM   #60
Give me a forum ...

Riding on the local paved trails has its own set of problems, but being run down/over by a car isn't on of them.

...not doing anything of true substance...
HFWR is offline   Reply With Quote