Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 09-29-2016, 10:41 PM   #21
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
If one is worried about ownership by foreigners, why just tax it, just ban it, only citizens can buy property, that should kill the market pretty quick.
The issue in Vancouver is not having too many foreigners living in the city, but having too many middle and low income Canadians who cannot live there at all because the cost of housing is so insane. Chinese billionaires and multimillionaires buy homes in Vancouver to park their money abroad, or for their kids to attend university, or to establish residency with a view to citizenship. Many of these homes remain unoccupied. It's not healthy for the city.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 09-30-2016, 12:22 AM   #22
Give me a forum ...

Looks like London, England is facing a similar challenge.

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2...MCNEWEML6619I2
Old 09-30-2016, 06:37 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
The issue in Vancouver is not having too many foreigners living in the city, but having too many middle and low income Canadians who cannot live there at all because the cost of housing is so insane. Chinese billionaires and multimillionaires buy homes in Vancouver to park their money abroad, or for their kids to attend university, or to establish residency with a view to citizenship. Many of these homes remain unoccupied. It's not healthy for the city.
+1 Exactly!
Old 09-30-2016, 11:57 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

From today's Guardian:

http://www.theguardian.com/cities/20...e_iOSApp_Other
Old 09-30-2016, 10:55 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
The low and middle income Canadians could never afford to buy in Vancouver for about the past 20+ years.
Personally I'd like to live in a city where 10% of the condo's were owned, taxes paid, but nobody lived there, it would be less population density with extra tax money available since these empty places would be less of a drain on resources.

Anyhow, the easy solution for all the foreigners is to form a shell company and their company can buy the real estate. It will increase business for some lawyers.

There are a lot of places in various countries that a person earning the median family income cannot buy a house, they are called rich folk areas.
For example: "Los Altos, California, in the heart of Silicon Valley, is now the most expensive real estate market in the country, according to a new report from Coldwell Banker. The average four-bedroom, two-bath home in Los Altos costs $1,963,100"

The 10 most expensive real estate markets in the US

I do think it's totally within rights of the government to do this tax as there are already lots of other countries that do not allow foreign ownership of property. Just that it will not permanently solve the problem, and hurts all the Canadians who were hoping to sell their house to rich folks, so they could retire to a LCOL.
Like a some San Francisco/California owners do when they retire to AZ or NV.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2016, 07:17 PM   #26
Confused about dryer sheets

Companies buying in Vancouver must meet the criteria for foreigner ownership as well. Ie owners of the corp must meet rules.

Foreign ownership can be banned but it would violate NAFTA.

Remember the spevial tax only applies to Vancouver, not all the surrounding cities.
Twa2w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 06:56 AM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post

There are a lot of places in various countries that a person earning the median family income cannot buy a house, they are called rich folk areas.
For example: "Los Altos, California, in the heart of Silicon Valley, is now the most expensive real estate market in the country, according to a new report from Coldwell Banker. The average four-bedroom, two-bath home in Los Altos costs $1,963,100"

We moved from Los Altos 12 years ago so for fun I looked up our old street. The 3/2 1400 square feet house next to our old place has a pending offer for $2.4M. Crazy what the silicon valley job market has done. When we lived there, that neighbor was a 70 year old retired pensioner and former worker for the town. His whole yard was vegetable gardens.
jabbahop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 09:55 AM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabbahop View Post
We moved from Los Altos 12 years ago so for fun I looked up our old street. The 3/2 1400 square feet house next to our old place has a pending offer for $2.4M. Crazy what the silicon valley job market has done. When we lived there, that neighbor was a 70 year old retired pensioner and former worker for the town. His whole yard was vegetable gardens.
Great opportunity for him to sell (or even better for his inheriting children).
I wish my home would be bought for 2.4 Million, I'd be happy to move out in 10 minutes.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:29 AM   #29
Give me a forum ...

To the OP:

You should be aware of this morning's announcement by the Minister of Finance:

Federal government closes tax loophole used by foreign home buyers, hikes mortgage scrutiny | Financial Post

In future, in order to avoid paying tax on capital gains when you sell your home in Canada, you must be a Canadian resident at the time of purchase. We'll see how this rolls out.
Old 10-03-2016, 10:31 AM   #30
Full time employment: Posting here.

Policy experiments related to real estate are popular in Vancouver. In 1988 the large Expo '86 site was sold to a Hong Kong developer for a very low price. The resulting development and public amenities served up as part of the deal drew international attention.

Buy in programs for immigrants followed. This biased the immigrant population toward high net worth, and likely higher levels of education. The place is severely geographically constrained, and the outdoor rec. opportunities are massive. Low and mid income people did and will have trouble affording the place in the absence of subsidies, much like other similar coastal cities.

Residential real estate has far greater liquidity than it used to, but I personally would be reluctant to "trade" unless I lived there and could have my ear to the rail frequently.

Victoria is a different story, I rarely travel there and have no sense of what is going on.
bld999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 10:56 AM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meadbh View Post
To the OP:

You should be aware of this morning's announcement by the Minister of Finance:

Federal government closes tax loophole used by foreign home buyers, hikes mortgage scrutiny | Financial Post

In future, in order to avoid paying tax on capital gains when you sell your home in Canada, you must be a Canadian resident at the time of purchase. We'll see how this rolls out.
Good input, although as Canadian Citizens, myself and DW would not be classified as foreigners. At least it could be argued.
Old 10-03-2016, 11:05 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
Good input, although as Canadian Citizens, myself and DW would not be classified as foreigners. At least it could be argued.
The text focuses on residency, not citizenship. You might have to reestablish Canadian residency before you go house hunting. Or buy the house early in the year and move in immediately so that you spend at least 183 days in Canada during that year.

Minister Morneau Announces Preventative Measures for a Healthy, Competitive and Stable Housing Market

Specifically, from the technical backgrounder:

"An individual who was not resident in Canada in the year the individual acquired a residence will not—on a disposition of the property after October 2, 2016—be able to claim the exemption for that year. This measure ensures that permanent non-residents are not eligible for the exemption on any part of a gain from the disposition of a residence."
Old 10-03-2016, 12:09 PM   #33
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We are just visiting the area of Mont Tremblant, 2 hours north of Montreal. For sale signs on every 3rd house. Whatever this means...
chris2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2016, 12:19 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris2008 View Post
We are just visiting the area of Mont Tremblant, 2 hours north of Montreal. For sale signs on every 3rd house. Whatever this means...
Right, Quebec's real estate market would not be viewed as comparable to Vancouver or Toronto. Much lower prices.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Similar real estate market to the US in some ways
Old 10-03-2016, 01:35 PM   #35
Recycles dryer sheets

Similar real estate market to the US in some ways

Canada is similar to the US or UK in the sense that you have a handful of powerful housing centers powering housing market up. Toronto is unique in this regard as, really, Canada's major economic hub.

Vancouver has had a long-standing blistering market for other reasons. Same outcomes as Toronto, but different inputs and conditions. I don't have definitive data but I'm intuitively fairly sure that Toronto is being buoyed heavily by foreign money too; however, the economy is so big and diverse you don't see it nearly as clearly as in Vancouver.

Most other markets in Canada move at the rate of inflation or are flat. Some are down in recent historical terms and over the medium term. Calgary has obviously been hit hard by the energy deflation and it's spillover effects. Montreal, Halifax, Ottawa, Edmonton, Winnipeg and some other medium cities are "stable".
timemoveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2016, 05:26 PM   #36
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
The argument about Vancouver is that it has attained Pacific City Status meaning that a Chinese person can move into any neighborhood and encounter others who speak his language. Before, say 10 years ago, it was only the suburb of Richmond that had that status.

The fact that such people could attain a principal residence exemption indicates how incompetent our federal government has been.
Old 10-05-2016, 06:32 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by kcowan View Post

The fact that such people could attain a principal residence exemption indicates how incompetent our federal government has been.
Agree. Hopefully the changes announced yesterday to tax reporting and mortgage qualification will fix this. I think we are getting pretty close to a correction in the real estate bubbles in Vancouver and Toronto.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 07:31 AM   #38
Give me a forum ...

Two years or so ago we looked at a condo in the complex (Calgary) where we are currently renting. Asking price was $619. There is currently an identical condo now listed in the same complex, same condition, same view for $509K.

Our realtor tells us that there is enough condo supply, current and coming on stream, to satisfy this market for five years.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
makes sense
Old 10-05-2016, 07:55 AM   #39
Recycles dryer sheets

makes sense

Brett, that makes sense. A pin-prick to Toronto or Vancouver price levels would do the same thing to their condo markets.

I have moved in and out of condo investments over 15 years in Toronto and I can assuredly say you must buy extremely carefully and understand neighbourhoods, rent levels, the controls, condo expenses, the boards, etc. to make a low-acceptable return as an investor in an expensive city like this.

As a homeowner, it is a very expensive way to go as well that has risk if you are forced to relocate prematurely for work or family reasons.
timemoveson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2016, 09:18 AM   #40
Give me a forum ...

Well, I'm saving my spocks for when the market drops low enough for me to be able to buy.