Here we go! Class of 2017 checking in!

GSMAN

Recycles dryer sheets
So tomorrow morning I do my exit interview and say good bye to a 30 plus year career in Aerospace. It's been a great ride and I am stoked about my future. I have literally been thinking about tomorrow for decades. I knew in my early twenties I was going to call it quits early. I wanted to retire at 55 but I missed it by one year. At 56 my DW and I still have plenty of energy to enjoy the next few years doing fun stuff. My plans for this year are a couple of cruises, a road trip to Key West, an Alaskan fishing trip with my buds and spending some quality time up at my cabin! I have enjoyed some free wise advice on this forum through the years and for that I am grateful!

Fantastic! I'm joining you in 11 weeks.

Four more work days for me. I'm out January 20. I am giddy with anticipation. I just scheduled a visit from the cable company for the 25th between 10:30-12:30. Before this would have been a real headache. Now it's no problem...it's not like I have to sneak away from work.

So tomorrow morning I do my exit interview and say good bye to a 30 plus year career in Aerospace. It's been a great ride and I am stoked about my future. I have literally been thinking about tomorrow for decades. I knew in my early twenties I was going to call it quits early. I wanted to retire at 55 but I missed it by one year. At 56 my DW and I still have plenty of energy to enjoy the next few years doing fun stuff. My plans for this year are a couple of cruises, a road trip to Key West, an Alaskan fishing trip with my buds and spending some quality time up at my cabin! I have enjoyed some free wise advice on this forum through the years and for that I am grateful!

How did it go?? Congratulations!!

Retirement Day

It went great yesterday. Very surreal and giddy at the same time. My buddies took me to Top Golf for lunch then we went on to a seafood place to eat. We are going to celebrate next week since my DW is under the weather.

Thanks!

How did it go?? Congratulations!!

Good luck in the future.

Sent an email to the boss today making it official my last day is 3/3. I told him verbally last week, but realized both he and I needed it in writing.

retirement-meme-10.jpg

Last edited:
I gave my notice today. Talked to my boss and his boss. They were both happy for me and a little sad. 25 years with my company next month. Last day on schedule for February 10. Yee-HAW.

July 07, 2017 will be my final day. I am a bit late to the party as I will be 64 and 1/12 years old at that point. Still not sure what retirement will mean for me. I will give myself at least 6 months to decompress, visit my granddaughters (who live in another state) and focus on fitness.

After that I will look for volunteer opportunities or some kind of fun part time work in a field outside my profession.

Be mindful of the road trip to Key West. Consider breaking it up and plan for a day. You will likely get behind RV's (and others) that will never exceed 30 MPH). Instead of tolerating that, plan a few (or more) veer off points along the way. Maybe a brunch stop, a swing through (or an overnight at) Key Largo, a "we're almost there" margarita (but only one) an hour or so out. Have fun - be patient!

That's the plan!

Good advice Red Badger. We are planning to stay in Key Largo, and maybe Marathon for a some fishing trips. Maybe do some diving as well.

Be mindful of the road trip to Key West. Consider breaking it up and plan for a day. You will likely get behind RV's (and others) that will never exceed 30 MPH). Instead of tolerating that, plan a few (or more) veer off points along the way. Maybe a brunch stop, a swing through (or an overnight at) Key Largo, a "we're almost there" margarita (but only one) an hour or so out. Have fun - be patient!

Back
Top Bottom