Join Early Retirement Today

Old 01-17-2017, 12:24 PM   #81
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bestwifeever View Post
I am amazed at people's inability to count. Yesterday I took my 11 items to the 15-and-fewer line at my neighborhood store, and the young man in front of me had 24 items. I wish the cash registers would sound an alarm at the 16th item and refuse to proceed.
Oh, they can count. They just don't care. They do not want to wait .

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 01-17-2017, 12:31 PM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lakewood90712 View Post
First it was Costco, Now Albertsons. I asked the checker why ? " Shrinkage " was the reply.

Home Depot and 2 other markets nearby still do it, but with a checker supervising at all times.

I would be ok with killing the self checkout if replaced with a " Cash Only, No Talking " line.
The reason I think the self check out isn't quite a winner is because companies don't really save money having one. In theory a company saves money, in practice no, because they still have to have someone there in the area for alcohol sales and other potential issues.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:43 AM   #83
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amethyst View Post
Which reminds me of a pet peeve, which I'm too lazy to put in the proper thread. The Giant where I sometimes shop, has someone roaming the self-checkouts in case someone needs help. This person also bags your self-checked items, while you are going through the business with the scanner, and doesn't ask first if you want them to bag for you.
No!!! Do not tell Wegmans about this. I have learned to do the self-checkout precisely because I can bag my own groceries. Well, also because at the time I go, the self-checkout is always available.

Wegmans has the helpers, but so far they only help when asked.
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 07:50 AM   #84

I go grocery shopping on Tuesdays and usually get there before 8am. Tuesday mornings are supposed to be the least busy time and I have found it to be true. It's mostly other retired people but also working people making a mad dash for it. Those are the people I see in front of me with too many items in express.

Instead of going into a silent fury, as I used to, now I pity them a little. My next destination is home, and it doesn't matter when I get there.
Old 01-18-2017, 07:53 AM   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
I have learned to do the self-checkout precisely because I can bag my own groceries. Well, also because at the time I go, the self-checkout is always available.
Me too. I use the self-checkout at Kroger or Meijer for two reasons:

1) usually I just want to pack my own bags - not a huge deal, but I like things the way I like things ;-)

2) Sometimes I just have a couple of items and self checkout is just so quick and easy.

And I don't have to talk to anyone, not even to just exchange pleasantries.
mpeirce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:08 AM   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnrealizedPotential View Post
Oh, they can count. They just don't care. They do not want to wait .
Exactly. Manifestation of the current American attitude of "Eff you. So, what are you gonna do about it?" It's been going on for quite a while
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2017, 08:36 AM   #87
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by razztazz View Post
Exactly. Manifestation of the current American attitude of "Eff you. So, what are you gonna do about it?" It's been going on for quite a while
Pretty much. It has been my contention for a long time that if EVERYONE (and I mean EVERYONE, even me!) were just *a little* more courteous, then society would be exponentially better. But, as long as "it's all about ME!" and the population continues to grow and confine us further, I don't think it's going to happen anytime soon.
Old 01-18-2017, 10:22 AM   #88
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
I go grocery shopping on Tuesdays and usually get there before 8am. Tuesday mornings are supposed to be the least busy time and I have found it to be true.
You're way too busy & regimented for my idea of retirement.
gerntz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 08:23 AM   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerntz View Post
You're way too busy & regimented for my idea of retirement.
I guess you don't want to hear about swimming at 5am every week day then Structure makes me happy.
Old 01-19-2017, 08:43 AM   #90
Give me a forum ...

I like the laser checkout system at Empire Market.

LOL! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 06:17 PM   #91
Give me a forum ...

I like the self checkouts when I don't have a ton of items and they are not disappearing around here. I have not seen anyone write a check in years.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2017, 11:16 PM   #92
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by MRG View Post
It's not just minimum wage or unskilled jobs. I spent a great deal of my career developing software to replace people in back office positions. The thought was if a human adds no value to a business transaction why should they do it?
Me too.
My last great project was to replace the owner of the company, then 10 employees can now work on their own.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:13 AM   #93

Do these retailers consider at all what the customer wants ? or is it a situation of the retailer knows what is " Good for the Customer" ?

Other industries research the customer opinions . Maybe it's not applicable to non durable sales.
Lakewood90712 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2017, 06:19 AM   #94
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Me too.
My last great project was to replace the owner of the company, then 10 employees can now work on their own.
Yes, I was always amazed that as indispensible as I was that if I went on vacation for a couple weeks that the work just kept humming along without me... not sure how they did it, but they seemed to muddle through better without me.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
pb4uski is offline   Reply With Quote