What did you do today? 2017 version

Status
Not open for further replies.
Ventura CA

After getting 6 and half inches of rain in the last 24 hours, the sun finally came out. We drove down to the beach. We had sushi at a local restaurant,then went to a place called Surfer's Point.It was a beautiful sunny day, and we enjoyed it thoroughly.

[-]27[/-] 37 years ago today... Team USA defeats the USSR in 1980 Olympics in Lake Placid in the men's hockey semi-finals.

https://youtu.be/qYscemhnf88

I recall it vividly... I was home sick after coming down with a bad cold after attending the Men's downhill earlier in the games and watched the game on TV... I was so sick I gave away my ticket to the Men's ski jumping that day to a friend... he and some other friends went to the ski jumping and then hung around downtown Lake Placid at some bars and watched the game... I'm told it was wild.

Since then I have been to a number of games in what is now called Herb Brooks Arena... a neat place to watch a hockey game. I saw the US team that won the gold play in an exhibition match long before the games and some D3 national championships since.

Last edited:
With the temperature climbing, our winter green vegetable has gone to seed. My wife has uprooted some, and I will need to prepare the soil for the warm season plants.

Have seeded some tomatoes, cucumbers, and zucchinis for later transplanting. The snow peas planted a month earlier have started to climb on the trellis.

Last edited:
After trying out the other two applications, I think I will stick with my Quicken 2016 for as long as I can use it. I will be surprised if they lock it down so I cannot do manual entries, but I have put the wrong password in and with this version you have to go to Quicken to get it unlocked. Time will tell.

I cut ties with Quicken after 10 years of use. I went with AceMoney as it is one of the few ones out there that will import quicken. Supposedly, AceMoney has free updates for life. Had it less than a year so don't haven't needed updates yet.:D

Drove with DW down to Charlottesville, VA for a checkup tomorrow with the electrophysiologist who did my cardiac ablation almost a year ago. It was a beautiful drive through Virginia horse country and some mountain views. After checking in at the hotel we walked to a Mexican restaurant about three blocks away and had a late lunch/early dinner. For some reason the GPS sent us down a bunch of VA state routes which was a much better drive than the normal boring 100+ miles on I-81.

And we are both loving this warm February weather! Yeeha, 62 degrees at a time of year when there's usually an even chance we'd be up to our butts in snow!

I tried out the new pressure washer. After the first start it went well. Washed out the garage and DW'S Wrangler, my truck too. I did the wrangler a second time as it was pretty muddy. Sadly I had gotten rid of my old PW before the move as I didn't think we'd need it. Oh well, this one is more compact and easier to use.

DW and I went to another brewery for lunch. She had fish and chips and I went for the Yak burger! Next time I'm planning on a Cabrito burger.

Can't believe I went for a job interview today. :banged:

I neither need nor want a job but there are some areas of law I still find interesting and this seems to be preferred way of keeping it going as a hobby.

Turned up in jeans and a hoodie. The guys doing the interview were in suits. I think they got the message.

Can't believe I went for a job interview today. :banged:

I neither need nor want a job but there are some areas of law I still find interesting and this seems to be preferred way of keeping it going as a hobby.

Turned up in jeans and a hoodie. The guys doing the interview were in suits. I think they got the message.

You had to wear pants?? Nyet!

Ah yes: "beware of any enterprise that requires new clothes"!

I took the day off in anticipation of the big snow storm that is supposed to arrive tonight into tomorrow--and this after record highs in the 60s just a couple of days ago. Have a big pot of red beans and rice on the stove. Red beans and rice is by no means me being frugal as much as one of my favorite dishes! Pure comfort food.

Last edited:
Got up this morning and had a light breakfast at the hotel. Pricey, but convenient since there isn't much open within walking distance. Then we walked to the hospital.

Met with the electrophysiologist late AM and he had good news. Since it's been almost a year, the odds of having a recurrence of afib decline the longer there are no further events of it. That's different from what the cardiologist said, that there WILL be recurrences but he can't tell when. We certainly hope the first one is right.

We were hopefully able to ease the stress for a lady who overheard us say the name of the Dr. who did the ablation on me, and assured her that he's good (my cardiologist had his ablation done there) and that he takes the time to thoroughly explain what will happen and why, that my case came out well, and all that stuff.

What I really wanted to say was "Well, a guy you've met only once is going to cut a hole in your femoral artery and run some wires up into your heart and start zapping places where electrical signals are being generated. What could possibly go wrong?":LOL:

Then we drove for about an hour and a half and stumbled across a good Mexican restaurant in Front Royal, VA that had only been open a couple of months. We weren't specifically looking for Mexican, just wanted to stay out of chains. We liked it so much we'll make a point to stop there when making the drive to/from Charlottesville. Then another hour drive to home and unpack.

On February 10th, had a bone density scan and a mammogram done on the same visit. Later that afternoon, I found out my bones are normal. However, I didn't get the result from the mammogram until today. That result was normal as well.

I swear, I think a parting gift of a box of chocolates or a doobie for each day a woman has to wait for a mammo result should be a requirement by the medical center.

Great news, Walt! Tough to beat a good health diagnosis and a good Mexican food finding in the same day.

bbbami - great news on the medical diagnoses. DW recently had a wait on mammogram results - benign cyst. They put in a titanium plug in the cyst area so they could find it later.

We had a few cracked floor tiles at the front entry of the vacation house. Removed all the tile in preparation for installing hardwood. The tile came up really easy, which doesn't say much for the quality of the original installation. Hardly any mortar stuck to the subfloor, which was a blessing.

Had to say goodbye to my oldest crown. After 25 years it had allowed decay to set in.

A very uncomfortable crown prep. From start, they couldn't get me numb. To finish, perhaps the longest crown prep I've had. The last molar, too much time with my mouth wide open, too much time in the chair. Finally six hours later, I'm starting to feel my jaw.

Edited the configuration in my Android phone navigation app, and removed the location "Work" from "My saved places".

Edited the configuration in my Android phone navigation app, and removed the location "Work" from "My saved places".

It worked?
Took mine several years before I could get rid of "W*rk". Sadly it was the same address as my home too.

Great news, Walt! Tough to beat a good health diagnosis and a good Mexican food finding in the same day.
I agree on Walt...it is great news. :flowers:
bbbami - great news on the medical diagnoses. DW recently had a wait on mammogram results - benign cyst. They put in a titanium plug in the cyst area so they could find it later.
Thank you. :)

Sure am glad to hear her cyst was benign. It surprised me at first about the titanium plug...but then realized it was needed as a marker. I learn something new everyday.

..and MRG, sure does sound like you went through an ordeal. Dang. Hope you feel much better tomorrow.

On February 10th, had a bone density scan and a mammogram done on the same visit. Later that afternoon, I found out my bones are normal. However, I didn't get the result from the mammogram until today. That result was normal as well.

I swear, I think a parting gift of a box of chocolates or a doobie for each day a woman has to wait for a mammo result should be a requirement by the medical center.

Heck, for a doob and some chocolates, I'd sign up for a mammogram! [emoji12]

First stop was to the orthopedic doc to get the confirmation I'm getting a new knee. Then it was to the dealerships to contest Toyota against Honda with SUV/van/Truck comparisons (still no clear winner). I'm finishing up after a stop to the liquor store to spend an evening with some Jeremiah Weed Sarsaparilla Whiskey.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom