Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 04-28-2017, 06:32 PM   #1441
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

A beautiful day working in the garden followed by a bottle of Pinot Noir and relaxing by the fire pit. Planted flowers, tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 04-28-2017, 07:03 PM   #1442
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Went down to the city to pick up my Jeep. While I was down there, I ordered hearing aids at Costco. I have my misgivings about hearing aids, but my hearing is getting so bad that the ability to communicate in person is a real struggle.

I got back from town just in time for it to start snowing. It will probably snow all night.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:09 PM   #1443
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hermit View Post
Went down to the city to pick up my Jeep. While I was down there, I ordered hearing aids at Costco. I have my misgivings about hearing aids, but my hearing is getting so bad that the ability to communicate in person is a real struggle.

I got back from town just in time for it to start snowing. It will probably snow all night.

DW thinks I need a hearing aid. I know my hearing was damaged in my Air Force days, but I can understand any conversation without a lot of background noise. She had picked up this habit of speaking in a near whisper to me. I understand everyone but her. I ask her to just speak in a normal tone and I'll hear her fine, but she insists it's me. Can't win!
Old 04-28-2017, 07:17 PM   #1444
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Any way they could make that new role 4 days a week for 80% of full-time pay? Might be a win-win. I worked for many years towards the end of my career less than full-time... in our firm everything was just a % of FTE... so my vacation pay was 80% of an FTE, etc. Only thing that was different was health insurance... that was the same for everyone from 50% to 100% and nothing for those less than 50%.
The situation would be coming in to clean up a dysfunctional mess. Can't imagine that this would be doable on 4 days a week. Might be able to wangle some work from home time, though. They have not clearly formulated positions, etc, yet so this is a slow burn.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
Old 04-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #1445
Gone but not forgotten

Send a message via AIM to Khan
Moo
Old 04-28-2017, 07:24 PM   #1446
Give me a forum ...

Ran errands and did grocery shopping the morning knowing there was a big storm coming in. Resisted the temptation to muck with bees despite the 65F and sunny weather since overnight lows will be in the low 20s. Banged out a flat of trap shells at my reloading bench and then made dinner for family and MIL (quail egg quiche and Jerusalem artichokes, MIL brought salad). Now sitting in front of the fire with a glass of scotch while the snow piles up. This one will be a tree breaker.

- George Orwell

Old 04-28-2017, 07:35 PM   #1447

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
DW thinks I need a hearing aid. I know my hearing was damaged in my Air Force days, but I can understand any conversation without a lot of background noise. She had picked up this habit of speaking in a near whisper to me. I understand everyone but her. I ask her to just speak in a normal tone and I'll hear her fine, but she insists it's me. Can't win!
I haven't been able to hear in a noisy environment since my stints in the Air Force and Air National Guard many years ago. Recently, I have had trouble hearing even people with fairly low frequency voices. It was definitely time for me after putting it off for well over 40 years.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:36 PM   #1448
Gone but not forgotten

Had an interesting day.
This morning we posted a notice of a pre-demolition sale for tomorrow.
Happened to look out the window and noticed people taking stuff from the house and loading it into their van.
DH went out and asked them what the @#$% they were doing. They got belligerent and starting yelling at him. Then the guy shoved him and he responded by punching him, and told me to call the police.
They took off, but got stopped.
We didn't press charges, but the whole island is going to know about this.
Old 04-28-2017, 07:37 PM   #1449
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khan View Post
Had an interesting day.
This morning we posted a notice of a pre-demolition sale for tomorrow.
Happened to look out the window and noticed people taking stuff from the house and loading it into their van.
DH went out and asked them what the @#$% they were doing. They got belligerent and starting yelling at him. Then the guy shoved him and he responded by punching him, and told me to call the police.
They took off, but got stopped.
We didn't press charges, but the whole island is going to know about this.
I am curious why you did not press charges? If this happened in my house the very least that would have happened is the miscreant being hosed down with pepper spray and being held for the police.

- George Orwell

Old 04-28-2017, 07:43 PM   #1450
Gone but not forgotten

It was complicated.
He signed a waiver.
The sheriff said they would have a bad time and charges from their activities.
Old 04-28-2017, 08:45 PM   #1451

Did my last "swim practice driving" for the season. Older son's high school swim team regular season is over. The drive has been a grind because it involves driving him to practice, then driving younger son home, then driving back through rush hour to pick him up after practice... I will not miss this.... Next year both boys will be in high school and I've informed younger son he *will* be on the swim team because I will not be driving back/forth/back/forth. I'll just bring my book and read during practice.

Had dinner with my sister. She's going through some tough times personally... and I want to be there for her.
Old 04-28-2017, 09:19 PM   #1452
Give me a forum ...

We worked out lifting weights for 45 minutes today, next week the goal is to add another 15 minutes every session.

I got groceries as normal. It's DW'S 60th birthday, normally a card, cake and dinner.

We made plans for dinner and DW didn't know there's a lovely floral place at the grocery store. Spent a while with a nice lady who put together a piece DW loved.

We went to one of the best restaurants in town tonight for dinner, French Country cuisine. Perhaps not my favorite, but I liked the company.
Old 04-29-2017, 07:30 AM   #1453
Full time employment: Posting here.

I just had a house insulation done. It was cellulose blown-in insulation for walls and cellulose with fiberglass bats over it for the attic. The installation was only supposed to be 3 days but it was 3 days spread over a week. So yesterday it was finally done. There is now a thin layer of dust on every item in the entire house, also mouse poop tracked everywhere from the gross attic. Luckily I was smart enough to take up the area rugs prior to. It feels like I am camping in my own house.

Today starts the massive cleanup. So what am I doing? Posting on forums.

But there are some benefits, aside from the obvious one of not having to spend next winter in a breezy refrigerator covered with ice dams. When you have strangers in your house, and there were alot of them, you see it through their eyes. I have some ideas for DIY projects this summer that I would not otherwise have thought of. Also, I think some more things are going to be ejected when I go to dust them off and think "Why is this even still here?"
Old 04-29-2017, 10:10 AM   #1454
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dash man View Post
How annoying. Here's what I'd do if I was you: Go to Costco and get your hearing checked. If you don't need hearing aids, you'll have proof! And if you do, I have heard they have pretty good prices.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
Old 04-29-2017, 07:59 PM   #1455
Administrator

Worked in the garden this morning. Sang in a concert this afternoon. We performed Haydn's Creation; I sang the part of Uriel. Mowed the lawn when I got back home.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:34 PM   #1456
Moderator Emeritus

Decluttering continues - sold my wood chipper.
Old 04-29-2017, 08:44 PM   #1457
Give me a forum ...

Did my first 'ride' with a biking group - 14 miles and two hills tested my mettle.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Old 04-29-2017, 09:46 PM   #1458

My oldest kid came back so that the oil of her car can be changed by my husband while she and I went to Costco for an eye exam. She lost all her contacts going through TSA. Afterwards we went for a nice lunch near the local burger join and I had a small pizza. It was a nice lunch and she discussed how she made certain decision with her business. Her business has been growing and she didn't have problem charging customer more. In the past, her business partner was too reluctant to charge more. Now she is in charge of business, she starts making these decision. She said it's the year to make or break it, meaning if it's not successful, it's time to fold the business and get a 9-5 job. I couldn't agree more.
So it sounds like they are progressing along nicely. I kept reminding her any big bonus she gets this year she should save it for retirement. Overall, a nice day out for the 3 of us.
Old 04-30-2017, 01:02 AM   #1459
Give me a forum ...

Our events for this weekend so far have been going to the San Francisco Museum of Modern Art and the special Matisse/Dierbenkorn exhibit and tonight we attended the play Hershey Felder as Irving Berlin at the Berkeley Rep.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
Old 04-30-2017, 07:25 AM   #1460
Give me a forum ...

One of my bands had a gig yesterday...hauled gear and did sound check in the afternoon and then played to a packed house in the evening.
Closed Thread