Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-26-2017, 08:16 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShokWaveRider View Post
A 1600sqft condo on the beach in SoCAL. Beyond a lot of our budgets, can you give us a rough location in SoCAL? Hopefully not Laguna Beach..... PS I lived in MV for 15 years before moving to FLA.

Between LA and OC, not cheap but one of the best value/least expensive beachfront communities. Much less expensive than Laguna or Manhattan Beach.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2017, 08:50 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Send a message via Skype™ to kcowan
We have a 3300 sq.ft. Ph that is 3br, 2bath with sunroom and includes a 1300 sq.ft. patio in that sq.ft. It was just right with our 2 cats. Now we are empty nesters. Looked at downsizing last year and took a pass.

Ten years ago, we acquired a snowbird condo 2br, 2bath at 1750 sq.ft. additional.
Old 06-26-2017, 12:50 PM   #23
Give me a forum ...

We are at about 2200 square feet and I think it's about 200-400 too much. It's just the DW and me so many of the rooms aren't used. We haven't eaten in the formal dining room in over a year!

I have known several folks that REALLY upsized after all the kids moved out and I never really understood that thought process. To each their own, right?
Old 06-26-2017, 01:38 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scuba View Post
We would probably have done this if we had a much larger portfolio, but decided our freedom from work was more important to us. We also enjoy changing environments but choose to do it by renting properties in other locations vs owning multiple homes. We used to own 3 homes and the overhead was very expensive. Plus we enjoy the flexibility of being able to easily change where we spend time.
I understand and certainly can see your point of view. We are very lucky to be able to do this and it turns out that I really value having control over my envireonment. Don't like to find new places to rent or move my stuff around. Like my cars in the garage and my clothes in the closets. Like my decor and art. Agree it's very expensive and can be time consuming. Certainly not for most people. But I like it.
Danmar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:52 PM   #25

DH and I are in a 1500 sqft place with 3 smallish bedrooms, 1.5 baths, a 2-car garage, and a parking pad for our camper van. It's just about right, enough space for all our stuff but not too much, as we don't like to accumulate too many unused items. That aspect really came in handy when my folks downsized!

One thing I would like to downsize though is the back yard. We're on a double lot with many big shrubs and some trees in the back, so several weekends a year are dedicated to trimming and clean up. It is nice to see from the living and dining rooms though, like looking out over a pleasant green park.
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 01:56 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2Bfree View Post

One thing I would like to downsize though is the back yard. We're on a double lot with many big shrubs and some trees in the back, so several weekends a year are dedicated to trimming and clean up. It is nice to see from the living and dining rooms though, like looking out over a pleasant green park.
We also have a large backyard that my DW insists won't be "won" by nature. This means many hours trying to beat back the inevitable! At 43 years old, it's great to live in a park-like setting, but it will stop being fun before too long.

My Dad also lives on a large lot that at one time was on the local gardener's tour. It was beautiful, simply magnificent. But that was through the efforts of my Mom's 3-4 hours of DAILY work on it. Today, I can barely keep it from being overgrown and keeping my Dad out of trouble with code enforcement.
Old 06-26-2017, 02:35 PM   #27
Recycles dryer sheets

We also moved after ER. All part of the ER plan. We rebuilt/expanded one of our rentals and moved into it. It was about 10 miles away so not too far.

Downsized house: From 2 story >3400 sq ft down to 1 story >1700 sq ft. We probably would prefer another couple hundred sq ft more but due to the lot size, either need to apply for a variance or add a second story. We don't want to bother with the variance and don't want to have trouble walking up/down stairs in another 30/40 years. We want to stay for the long term. Everything was built with later living in mind like higher plugs.

Downsized lot: From >1/3 acre down to no longer use acre as a measurement After the construction, we landscaped both the small front and backyard to be low maintenance, no lawn, hardscapes with pavers, rocks, easy maintenance plants.

Upsized financially: From an excellent expensive neighborhood to an even more expensive neighborhood mostly due to a more centralized location that we can walk, take public transportation and join into all kind of happenings while we are still young and want to do more. We paid a lot to rebuild/expand the house and more monthly due to higher property taxes.

We have been living here for over a year and we are very happy about it. Glad that we did even though it was a lot of work building the house and moving. The house and the lot are much more manageable due to the smaller size and low maintenance. The location is near everything for daily living and for leisure/enjoyment but yet still a quiet family neighborhood.
GoodWishes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 03:41 PM   #28
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
I have known several folks that REALLY upsized after all the kids moved out and I never really understood that thought process. To each their own, right?
Maybe they've wanted to upsize for a few years, but didn't want to move out of the school district? Once the kids were out of school they were free to move where they wanted. Just a guess.
RunningBum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 05:21 PM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExFlyBoy5 View Post
Maybe they had a premonition that one or more kid would be moving back in later, perhaps with grandkids in tow!
O2Bfree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:05 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danmar View Post
I understand and certainly can see your point of view. We are very lucky to be able to do this and it turns out that I really value having control over my envireonment. Don't like to find new places to rent or move my stuff around. Like my cars in the garage and my clothes in the closets. Like my decor and art. Agree it's very expensive and can be time consuming. Certainly not for most people. But I like it.

I think it's great that you can afford to have your lifestyle. Completely understand the positives and would love to be in that situation, but also wanted my freedom at 56. Couldn't do both so we settle for renting additional properties. They are never quite as nice as our primary residence, but we enjoy them and when we leave, we're happy to walk away with no further responsibility for the property.
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
Down, up, right-size
Old 06-27-2017, 06:36 AM   #31

Down, up, right-size

I'm facing a similar challenge ...
My 3000 sq ft, 4 bedroom, 1 acre lot, $10k real estate tax, awesome school district home doesn't work for us any longer.

Considerations
1. Come September we will have 2 at Penn State so I'll need to stay in state
2. My bum bionic knees remind me how much I want a first floor master
3. Let someone else mow the lawn
4. I want turn key with more security.. a condo seems like a reasonable move.
5. Daughters first job is about 30 minutes away... need to draw a 40 minute circle around that.

No doubt about it moves cost money - but if we want to do a bit of snow birding - turn key would be great. Now that the youngest graduated HS and I will be working PT there are lots of options and considerations.
rayinpenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:22 AM   #32
Give me a forum ...

We just moved from a six month rental condo that turned into a four years rental.

1400 sq feet, fully developed basement, open plan, and HOA means no gardening and snow removal. Lock and go.

Cannot believe the things we kept when we packed up into a container after selling our house. I still have 'mystery' boxes to go through. Keep hearing the words 'why on earth did we keep this'. Thought we did a good job in downsizing from our house to a container but not as good as I thought.

I suspect that part of it is that our tastes, wants, and desires have changed over four years of rental living and lots of travel. What has changed for me is lack of accumulation. Got rid of so many clothes and have no desire to shop for more over and above what I really need. We have found that our attitude toward many things has changed through four plus years of retirement/downsizing.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote