Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 06-26-2017, 09:36 AM   #21
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
We're going to the Big Island in August and appreciate all the info in this thread. We're splitting our time between Hilo and Kona. We're not interested in the big resorts as we expect to be spending our waking hours exploring. We're flying in and out of Hilo as that was a couple hundred $$ cheaper at the time we booked. In Hilo, we're staying at Arnott's lodge in a deluxe suite and doing two of their tours - one to the volcano and one to the Mauna Kea summit. We will do the waterfalls on our own.
On our last visit to the Big Island, we stayed at Arnott's for 10 nights in a deluxe suite as well. We found the accommodation to be to our liking - clean, safe & quiet. In addition, we took the same tours with them as you are planning on. Both had excellent, informative guides. You'll want really good footwear for the volcano hike and bring lots of water (like a Camelbak) as there will be no shade and it can get quite warm on the lava field. Bring along some trail mix (no chocolate as it will melt).

You will definitely want to have a breakfast or two, or three at Ken's House of Pancakes. Ono grinds!
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2017, 09:54 AM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
On our last visit to the Big Island, we stayed at Arnott's for 10 nights in a deluxe suite as well. We found the accommodation to be to our liking - clean, safe & quiet. In addition, we took the same tours with them as you are planning on. Both had excellent, informative guides. You'll want really good footwear for the volcano hike and bring lots of water (like a Camelbak) as there will be no shade and it can get quite warm on the lava field. Bring along some trail mix (no chocolate as it will melt).

You will definitely want to have a breakfast or two, or three at Ken's House of Pancakes. Ono grinds!
"Clean, safe & quiet" was our thinking too. With its kitchenette, the deluxe suite will allow for breakfast and/or lunch for those days we're not at Ken's Thanks for the tip on the Camelbak; I wasn't sure we'd take them but now we will.
Ian S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 09:57 AM   #23

Forgot to mention - a wide-brimmed hat for that volcano hike is another must (sunscreen always a given in Hi.)
candrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 05:23 AM   #24

DW and I are headed to Maui and the Big Island next week, after a 12 year hiatus. We have been to Kauai twice since then.

Mai tais on my radar, although I plan on overdosing on fresh seafood, a bottle of chilled Sauvignon Blanc, would be great.

We always stop at local farmer's markets for produce where ever we travel, and use the grill at the condo for some great meals on the lanai. Don't have to worry about crowds, or poor service.
Winemaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:38 AM   #25
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Seems like instead of spending half the time in the Hilo area, you should spend at least a couple of night in Volcano National Park. Otherwise you are going to miss out on something really special about the big island.
Old 06-27-2017, 10:13 AM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by audreyh1 View Post
Seems like instead of spending half the time in the Hilo area, you should spend at least a couple of night in Volcano National Park. Otherwise you are going to miss out on something really special about the big island.
Well, we are doing a guided tour of the park that includes evening time there. If we decide to spend more time there it's only 45 minutes from our Hilo base via our rental car.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:19 PM   #27
Confused about dryer sheets

On our first trip to the Big Island DH and I splurged on a Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour of the island. It was spendy ($500 for us both) but it was the absolute highlight of our trip (which was full of amazing experiences). You fly over waterfalls that are taller than the Empire State Building, and are only visible from air or boat (much better view by air). You fly over Kilauea and can see lava hot spots and lots of steam vents. We saw circular rainbows while flying over the Hilo area. The whole trip you're pretty much going, "Oh, wow!" The company sells DVDs of your helicopter trip and we normally don't go for that sort of thing, but bought it anyway and were glad we did. We've watched it several times since we got home and are always blown away by the beauty of the place.

Another really fun thing to do, especially if you're a foodie, that is not a normal touristy thing is to go to the Waimea farmer's market on Saturday morning. The macadamia nut sticky bun that we bought & ate there haunts my dreams with its deliciousness. You can get fresh fruit and veggies, small batch processed macadamia nuts, and other gourmet goodies too. We sat at a picnic table eating our sweet rolls and talking to locals who were very friendly and laid back. We just loved Waimea, a very charming part of the island.

When you're on the Kona side, do not miss the Paleaku Peace Gardens - the most incredibly beautiful and peaceful botanical gardens you can imagine, with beautiful statuary/altars paying homage to the worlds' many religions.

It is my most fervent hope that in retirement I will be able to spend long stretches of time staying on the Big Island. It is a special place.
Shehawk12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 11:44 AM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shehawk12 View Post
On our first trip to the Big Island DH and I splurged on a Blue Hawaiian helicopter tour of the island. It was spendy ($500 for us both) but it was the absolute highlight of our trip (which was full of amazing experiences). You fly over waterfalls that are taller than the Empire State Building, and are only visible from air or boat (much better view by air). You fly over Kilauea and can see lava hot spots and lots of steam vents. We saw circular rainbows while flying over the Hilo area. The whole trip you're pretty much going, "Oh, wow!" The company sells DVDs of your helicopter trip and we normally don't go for that sort of thing, but bought it anyway and were glad we did. We've watched it several times since we got home and are always blown away by the beauty of the place.
Wow! Thank you for this suggestion. They have several awesome looking helicopter tours including one that actually lands at a remote waterfall.
Old 07-04-2017, 11:56 AM   #29

If you take the Blue Hawaiian Helicopter from Hilo, it's cheaper, about $200 something per person. From the West side, it was about $600 something per person. In the end my husband didn't think he could see the lava flow any better than on TV because of the smoke. But we did see it from a snorkeling boat trip, IIRC.
Fedup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 02:22 PM   #30
Give me a forum ...

Love Blue Hawaiian, we still have the movie of our trip taken by the Pilot.
Old 01-30-2018, 06:40 PM   #31

Well, the Big Day hath nearly cometh. We leave tomorrow for our month on The Big Island.
All packed, ready to fly. Winter Storm Kalani dropped a few inches, not bad, but the temp here has dropped to low single digits...perfect for getting out of Dodge, just as the mid-winter blahs have set in.

Aloha.
HadEnuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 10:07 PM   #32

Godspeed and make sure you get some poke' from Costco, it is delicious! They have a few different varieties.
Old 01-31-2018, 12:32 AM   #33
Full time employment: Posting here.

Jealous.
We've only spent a week on the big island during a trip a few years ago. We drove all over the island and really enjoyed all the different areas.
Old 01-31-2018, 03:18 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
Godspeed and make sure you get some poke' from Costco, it is delicious! They have a few different varieties.
I have quite a few poke locations marked on my map. Thanks!
Old 01-31-2018, 04:11 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

I'm sure you will have a good time on the Big Island, but it just means you will have to go back sometime for Kauai. We spent 10 days there in May 2013 and it was fantastic. Kauai is the oldest of the islands and has some unique features like Wiamea Canyon and the Na Pali coast. I did the helicopter tour there. It was fantastic.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_420FB.jpg (992.9 KB, 22 views)
Old 01-31-2018, 08:14 AM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I'm sure you will have a good time on the Big Island, but it just means you will have to go back sometime for Kauai. We spent 10 days there in May 2013 and it was fantastic. Kauai is the oldest of the islands and has some unique features like Wiamea Canyon and the Na Pali coast. I did the helicopter tour there. It was fantastic.
+1000

Also, I had to go back and look..... if you can snorkel, and I've done it in all the islands, the best trip I been on is Alii Ocean Tours. They take you down to the Cook's monument. Millions of fish, several schools of dolphins and some turtles. We were there 2nd week in July, realizing that this is "whale season", the ecosystem and wild life may be different now in Jan/Feb.
We stayed in a condo close to the Poke Shack, and the boat literally went by our condo every day.
Old 01-31-2018, 07:11 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
While in Hilo, IMHO, a meal at Ken's House of Pancakes is a must.
+10!!
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:27 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by HadEnuff View Post
OK folks, we are set for The Big Island. Spending the first two weeks in February in a cottage on a farm, about 15 minutes north of Hilo, (the wet side), and the next two weeks in a little cottage slightly south of Kailua-Kona (the dry side).
Between mile markers 18 and 19 north of Hilo on Route 19 (the Belt Rd), there is a bridge called Nanue. It's the tallest bridge on the Big Island. There is a big pull-off area on each end of the bridge (for a reason). There is a beautiful waterfall nestled back in the trees. Supposedly, it is a moderate-difficulty hike.
gindie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2018, 07:29 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by Winemaker View Post
+1000

Also, I had to go back and look..... if you can snorkel, and I've done it in all the islands, the best trip I been on is Alii Ocean Tours. They take you down to the Cook's monument. Millions of fish, several schools of dolphins and some turtles. We were there 2nd week in July, realizing that this is "whale season", the ecosystem and wild life may be different now in Jan/Feb.
We stayed in a condo close to the Poke Shack, and the boat literally went by our condo every day.
Thanks!! that's the 2nd two weeks, over in Kona. We are walking distance from the Poke Shack...thanks for the tip on Alii Ocean Tours. Will definitely check that out.

Mahalo
Old 01-31-2018, 07:33 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I have been to the Hawaiian Islands one other time, 34 years ago, in another life with a different wife. A short week on Kauai...it was wonderful. Among my lasting warm memories:

The Na Pali Coast,
A warm friend who is no longer with us,

and the strongest feeling of "I DON'T WANT TO LEAVE YET!!!" that I have ever experienced. Yes, if this trip goes well, we will likely return, next time to Kauai.