Where would your Ideal Retirement Location Be?

I bought some pork chops at the supermarket recently, much cheaper than mainland even. What I normally would pay $4-$5 vs $3 something I paid yesterday. New York Sirloin steak per pound at Whole Foods is about the same as in the mainland. You don't always have to stick with chicken or fish.

If we still had 10+ years to Medicare age and were newly retired we may have made an adventure out of it and moved to Europe. But I think at this point, and with the proposed changes mainly taking effect a few years from now, we will only have a few years to go before Medicare age. Prior to the ACA there were several states without pre-existing condition clauses and affordable rates. Our first choice would probably be to keep the current house, rent a small apartment and live in a state like Massachusetts for 7 months out of the year (or whatever it takes for residency), if that is still an option. We've got a lot of stuff, a dog and now that we've been retired several years, activities, retired friends and clubs we enjoy and would not want to give up more than we have to. We have friends that live half the year here and half on the East coast and that seems to work well for them.

I suspect healthcare will become more expensive, but in a big metro area like where we live now I doubt all the providers would pull out of the individual market so I think the odds are we will just be staying here. Plus California is on the liberal end of things and pretty solidly Democratic these days, so if single payer doesn't pan out hopefully at least there will be some consumer oriented plans and rates to be had.

As far as moving outside the U.S we've considered many options but I think the reality is we would just go live where we have a lot of family.

Last edited:
I lived & worked in the south of France (near Nice) for a couple of years in the late '90s. It was fabulous - mountains, sea, climate, food, culture, women, etc. Retire there? No. The joys & challenges of being an expat are better left to young folks, IMO. However, it's a pleasant daydream. 😎

If I were in similar situation I would look into Hong Kong and British Virgin Islands. Seriously, with $5 million, I'm sure I won't have a problem of living any where.

I love the BVIs, but what is the health care situation there?

Hong Kong was way too crowded for me when I went there on business.

I love the BVIs, but what is the health care situation there?

Hong Kong was way too crowded for me when I went there on business.

From my googling, it's either free or very affordable. People from US Virgin Islands return to BVI for healthcare.

Even in the USVI, we have found healthcare to be very affordable. $40 for a visit to Red Hook Family Practice and that included an EKG!

We already live there. Safe in the crook of the elbow of the strong right arm of Massachusetts. For three months we share our area with delighted summer people, then it all reverts back to us and our wonderful neighbors. We're just off mile 9 of the 22 mile rail trail bike path, so you can go by the cranberry bogs into Harwich and Dennis, or head off through Orleans to Eastham and Wellfleet. Just back from the new farmer's market by the windmill in Drummer Boy Park, then a trip to Hopkins House bakery with its lovely period front garden for something to bring to the book club meeting tonight.

Life just doesn't get better than this. We are content.

Do we live in the same Massachusetts? I live in the one that is covered in snow and freezing cold 9 months of the year :)

You are in a dreamy summer location and I think it's milder on the Cape in winter. Or maybe you don't mind the cold.

It is thought-provoking to learn what is important to others in the move-or-not decision, but it has dawned on me lately that I can't put it off forever. You have to do it while you are still able enough and adaptable enough to manage it.

We live in So CA and it's pretty great - fantastic weather, lots to do, and once retired, one can avoid traffic and crowds most of the time.

However, after being in the USVI's for 3 months, we are considering renting out our So CA home and coming down to the VI's for a longer period of time. The big advantage here is a beautiful, clear ocean one can be comfortable getting into all year, plus a simple, laid back vibe. Haven't blow dried my hair or worn makeup for 3 months! Don't know that we'd want to relocate here permanently, as we have many close friends in CA. However it is very tempting to put our things in storage, rent out our condo, and rent a long-term home down here for a while.

We live in So CA and it's pretty great - fantastic weather, lots to do, and once retired, one can avoid traffic and crowds most of the time.

However, after being in the USVI's for 3 months, we are considering renting out our So CA home and coming down to the VI's for a longer period of time. The big advantage here is a beautiful, clear ocean one can be comfortable getting into all year, plus a simple, laid back vibe. Haven't blow dried my hair or worn makeup for 3 months! Don't know that we'd want to relocate here permanently, as we have many close friends in CA. However it is very tempting to put our things in storage, rent out our condo, and rent a long-term home down here for a while.

I thought about the same thing, rent out our house and move to Hawaii. Years ago we rented a house in St Johns with ocean view and our kids remember it as our best vacation. My husband loved the fans. So relaxing.

I thought about the same thing, rent out our house and move to Hawaii. Years ago we rented a house in St Johns with ocean view and our kids remember it as our best vacation. My husband loved the fans. So relaxing.

Just curious- what kept you from doing it?

I've dreamed of moving to the California coast. I've had this dream since college. Still think about it but now that I have a granddaughter who lives a few minutes from me I'm not sure I can do it.

For the OP, I'm not sure anyone has mentioned Costa Rica. There's lots of expats there, affordable, affordable world-class healthcare available, and you can jump in the water any time of year without a wet suit. But, no seasons (as we know them), just rainy and dry.

For us, it is all about the weather, affordable healthcare & availability and reasonably priced housing. We have no direct family (Children etc.), so being near them is not a criterion.

Up to now other than a few other annoying and worrying (for us) US idiosyncrasies, the USA has offered us the best quality of life for all of the above since the ACA was passed. However, "if" affordable and readily available healthcare is taken from us, we will need to choose and alternative location.

We are both Canadians and I am also English, which offer quality affordable Healthcare, but fall very far short of the weather category.

We have been in the USA for over 30 years and certainly call it our home. However with the recent turn of events we have been (or will be) forced to look for a more suitable location.

I have scoured the internet and Equador, Colombia, Portugal, Spain and others do fit the bill.

I was curious if anyone here has experience of this big life decision that they could share, and in addition anyone who is thinking like we are?

We are 63 and 58 respectively and are pretty set in our ways. The idea is daunting just to think about. Year Round Weather is a Big Deal too.

Note: This is NOT a Healthcare thread, please refrain from commenting about it directly, other than if you cannot renew your current level of care in the years to come and what the alternatives (for you) are.

I would suggest that if you are comfortable in America right now, you will adapt even with the coming changes in health care. Not to turn the discussion political, but my get tells me that "after changes upon changes it will be more or less the same" (apologies to Paul Simon.)

With that in mind, the mainland US has very few places which are "perfect" (as in never too hot or too cold.) When you throw in "affordable housing" you may be out of luck. San Diego comes pretty close from what I've seen - just don't count on swimming much in the Pacific (personal opinion, of course). Housing any place close to the ocean is expensive, but moving toward the desert, housing becomes much more affordable (or so folks on this site have said - maybe check Zillow).

If I ever have to give up Paradise, I'm thinking the Carolinas or maybe northern Georgia - close to the Ocean. We did love St. Augustine, but haven't spent enough time there to verify the weather year round. It had a good vibe as well as beautiful coast line and history.

There have to be lots of places not too deep into the south with "acceptable" summer and winter climates. I know there are affordable places there - at least compared with Cali and other coastal areas.

If it were me, I would not give up the US except for the most dire of circumstance. You are obviously more traveled and more comfortable traveling. You have the ability to pick other nations, so moving from the US may not be as traumatic as it would be for me. So, YMMV.

NZ & Australia are a little hard to get into, and do not offer the Healthcare to Non citizens.

Have you looked into this much? Specifically, I thought it was relatively easy to relocate from England (UK passport) to NZ and get all the benefits of being a Kiwi. It is a beautiful country with excellent health care. Is is also a very long flight to anywhere else you have citizenship.

Have you looked into this much? Specifically, I thought it was relatively easy to relocate from England (UK passport) to NZ and get all the benefits of being a Kiwi. It is a beautiful country with excellent health care. Is is also a very long flight to anywhere else you have citizenship.

Yes I did a few years ago. Not recently though. I think there is a strict medical requirement, I have a pacemaker Doh!

Last edited:
Yes I did a few years ago. Not recently though. I think there is a strict medical requirement, I have a pacemaker Doh!

Wait, What?! Isn't that a pre-existsing condition? Shouldn't that be automatically covered? [ducking.....]:fingerwag:

Well, if there were no caveats (no issues w/ entry to country, health coverage, family locations) I would vote NZ...hands down. The Air Force was "kind enough" to send me around the world and I was "lucky" enough to see lots and LOTS of places (one of these days, I will count the number of countries I have been to) but NZ was the only place I have ever been that I was seriously contemplating going AWOL. :) It was really heaven on earth for me.

My second favorite place (and is actually doable and possible) is Isla Mujeres, MX although the gaining popularity and once an hour ferry shuttles to the main land are making it not as appealing as a retirement location. It is still a favorite getaway and I could really spend 3-6 months there and it wouldn't bother me in the least.

Nonetheless, there is a real world out there, so we will most likely stay stateside. I like Georgia but I would move farther north outside the metro Atlanta area. Probably something around Blue Ridge, so healthcare wouldn't be too far away. But, since I have drug my DW around since 2006, when my Dad passes, we will probably relocate to "fly over" country to be near her family. I do like it out in her neck of the woods, but there are some distinct negatives to moving out there...oh well, time will tell.

DH and I are in the process of retiring to Portugal. We have decided on a beach town about 20 minutes drive from Lisbon. The weather is similar to coastal Southern CA, with mild temps and lots of sun. Healthcare is inexpensive and easy to procure. Most people speak English, so it's easy to get around even without any Portuguese language skills (I'm hoping one day to learn the language). Housing is reasonably priced, especially if you are willing to be a short drive from the town center, while walkable locations cost more, but are still reasonable compared with CA. Portugal is one of the safest and most stable countries in the world, at least according to various NGO's. Produce and meat is of incredibly high quality, and cost less than 25% of what we pay here in California. Restaurants are also inexpensive and delicious. There's a ton of cultural opportunities in Lisbon. Also, plane fares to other parts of Europe are very cheap so it's easy to explore. We had thought about Ecuador and Costa Rica, as well as SE Asia and San Miguel de Allende but those places had problems that Portugal does not: excessive heat, humidity, crime, poverty, and political instability. It is surprising to me that Portugal is not a more popular retirement destination.

DH and I are in the process of retiring to Portugal. We have decided on a beach town about 20 minutes drive from Lisbon. The weather is similar to coastal Southern CA, with mild temps and lots of sun. Healthcare is inexpensive and easy to procure. Most people speak English, so it's easy to get around even without any Portuguese language skills (I'm hoping one day to learn the language). Housing is reasonably priced, especially if you are willing to be a short drive from the town center, while walkable locations cost more, but are still reasonable compared with CA. Portugal is one of the safest and most stable countries in the world, at least according to various NGO's. Produce and meat is of incredibly high quality, and cost less than 25% of what we pay here in California. Restaurants are also inexpensive and delicious. There's a ton of cultural opportunities in Lisbon. Also, plane fares to other parts of Europe are very cheap so it's easy to explore. We had thought about Ecuador and Costa Rica, as well as SE Asia and San Miguel de Allende but those places had problems that Portugal does not: excessive heat, humidity, crime, poverty, and political instability. It is surprising to me that Portugal is not a more popular retirement destination.

It makes one wonder if there are not some hidden reasons that folks don't flock there? Are there significant visa restrictions? High taxes? Other barriers to acceptance by local folks? I have no info on this, just wondering. It seems like the proverbial "vacuum" that wants to be filled. YMMV

If we were selecting a place in Europe to retire Portugal would absolutely be at the top of our list. We like the climate and the people seem (to us) to be much friendlier that those in Spain. Plus, there are not pubs and fish and chip shops on every corner.

So far our favourite retirement location is in Canada, beside the Rocky mountains. We leave for the winter. Preferred winter spots to date are SE Asia (Thailand/Vietnam) or Costa Rica/Panama. Grandchildren are changing that so it now appears that Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) is high on our winter list because of travel time and direct, competitive air connections.

Last edited:
If we were selecting a place in Europe to retire Portugal would absolutely be at the top of our list. We like the climate and the people seem (to us) to be much friendlier that those in Spain. Plus, there are not pubs and fish and chip shops on every corner.

So far our favourite retirement location is in Canada, beside the Rocky mountains. We leave for the winter. Preferred winter spots to date are SE Asia (Thailand/Vietnam) or Costa Rica/Panama. Grandchildren are changing that so it now appears that Mexico (Puerto Vallarta) is high on our winter list because of travel time and direct, competitive air connections.

We lived in Calgary for 6 years. But only 3 month of summer does get old. Kelowna is OK. But I prefer near a beach (Ocean).

It makes one wonder if there are not some hidden reasons that folks don't flock there? Are there significant visa restrictions? High taxes? Other barriers to acceptance by local folks? I have no info on this, just wondering. It seems like the proverbial "vacuum" that wants to be filled. YMMV

You would think there would be gotchas like those, but I haven't found any. It's easy to get a visa if you can show enough money to support yourself, although it does take a while because the Portuguese bureaucracy is very, very slow. Portugal has a favorable tax program for new residents called "non-habitual resident" status. Local folks don't seem to have any problem at all with us foreigners. One person said to us, "we love foreigners -- if it wasn't for foreigners we would be a part of Spain". I suspect one of the reasons Portugal is not more popular is that people don't know much about it.

You would think there would be gotchas like those, but I haven't found any. It's easy to get a visa if you can show enough money to support yourself, although it does take a while because the Portuguese bureaucracy is very, very slow. Portugal has a favorable tax program for new residents called "non-habitual resident" status. Local folks don't seem to have any problem at all with us foreigners. One person said to us, "we love foreigners -- if it wasn't for foreigners we would be a part of Spain". I suspect one of the reasons Portugal is not more popular is that people don't know much about it.

To my own surprise, I am intrigued by Portugal because of this thread. I don't see leaving the US for good, but if Hawaii doesn't work out (particularly, financially) I would definitely consider looking into Portugal for 6 months or so per year. I wonder if renting or leasing is better than owning, especially for "snow birding." Thanks for the information.

. . . . . . We love living in New Orleans. For a while, we thought of moving away to Springfield, Missouri, to get away from the hurricanes and crime (the main disadvantages of New Orleans, for us). But we decided not to do that.

Here are some of our requirements in a retirement location:

1. Low cost of living and housing
2. Very good medical facilities within 20 minutes' drive
3. No HOA or other reason why F can't put up ham radio antennas or tower as desired
4. City water and sewer, high speed internet (I'm the quintessential "city girl")
5. Not rural (see #4), and yet not a big city since F objects to that type of environment. A good compromise would be a small town or the outskirts of a small city.
6. Inside the USA
7. Not in Florida, Colorado, Arizona, or California since we allowed each of us to eliminate a couple of states from consideration.
8. Low crime
9. As warm a climate as possible, given the other requirements

The crime here in New Orleans is already pretty bad so we really do not meet "requirement #8" above. If it gets worse and becomes completely overwhelming we could envision having to move elsewhere in the US for that reason alone. But otherwise, we plan to stay right here in New Orleans for the duration.

I agree with the above list with some additions:
After living in 3 big cities, I prefer medium size cities with decent medical facilities.
And I like living within an hour and a half of a big city.
Having hills and mountains in close proximity is a big plus.
And living on a lake or river is also great.
Living in the Middle South is great as you feel 4 seasons--not too cold in Winter.

I would think Springfield, Missouri would fit the bill and it's got all the required culture with a university and Branson close by. Many places in East Tennessee, Western NC (Asheville), NW South Carolina and NE Georgia (mountains) meet all these requirements. I also like NW Arkansas and the Ozarks as an easy place to live.

Back
Top Bottom