Join Early Retirement Today

Cell phone question
Old 06-26-2017, 06:43 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Cell phone question

I am thinking of buying a phone with 8GB Internal Memory, 1GB RAM. All I want to do is run a few banking apps on it(one at a time) and make calls. Will this phone do?
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 06-26-2017, 07:11 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Should be adequate. Many Android phone can have memory added inexpensively. Not so on Apple phones.
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2017, 08:54 PM   #3

Check what version of android the app you want to run requires. Some low end phones may come wither older versions and may not be able to update.
rbmrtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 06:51 AM   #4

I can provide my recent choices as a baseline.

I bought an iPhone 7 Plus with 128G of storage - have used half of it in 3 months - lots of photos and music - am now considering I should have paid another $100 for the 256G version.

I can't imagine not having the capabilities and views on the world the device provides ... ya don't have to go Apple, but if you want flexibility and utility, go for the most you can afford. You don't have to use the features, but you probably will.

I use my device, with its larger screen when I don't want to fire up the laptop - not ever going back to smaller device.

If you feel comfortable with a belt holster, get one ... putting them in pockets damages them and allows lint to get into the charging port.

Finally - I bought my device straight from Apple - then I bought a 5 GB/month prepaid plan from Boom Mobile ($39.99 taxes and fees included). Boom uses the Verizon network - my phone behaves exactly like my wife's and she is on Verizon. The network connection points are exactly the same - Boom uses the Verizon network.
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:16 AM   #5
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephenson View Post
I can provide my recent choices as a baseline.

I bought an iPhone 7 Plus with 128G of storage - have used half of it in 3 months - lots of photos and music - am now considering I should have paid another $100 for the 256G version. ...
How much memory needed for photos and music is a personal thing. Some people will want a lot, others may not use a single byte. I'd suggest OP to base their decisions on their needs/wants, not other's needs/wants.

An advantage of the Android phones is that most of them will take an SD card. You can add and swap memory as needed, cheaply and flexibly.

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 07:27 AM   #6
Administrator

Memory is different than storage. Memory is needed by the CPU to run programs, storage is for the user to save photos, files, videos, etc. 1GB of memory sounds like a lot, while 8GB of storage sounds like not enough. If it is field upgradable, as TL suggests, makes a difference, as long as the cost to upgrade is not excessive.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:23 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
Memory is different than storage. Memory is needed by the CPU to run programs, storage is for the user to save photos, files, videos, etc. 1GB of memory sounds like a lot, while 8GB of storage sounds like not enough. If it is field upgradable, as TL suggests, makes a difference, as long as the cost to upgrade is not excessive.
For light use (as described in the OP), I would say 8 GB is plenty.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 08:38 AM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
You are mixing terms there.

Memory used by the CPU to run programs, and storage for the user to save photos, files, videos, etc are both 'memory'.

The memory the CPU uses is RAM (Random Access Memory), and it is 'volatile', it doesn't retain the memory if the phone is shut off and/or battery removed.

The memory used for the user to save photos, files, videos, is also RAM, but it is also non-volatile, so your photos, etc are preserved when the unit is off and/or battery removed. Usually referred to as 'Flash memory' or just 'storage'.

1GB RAM for the CPU is probably enough for all but highest end users (I think 1GB RAM is pretty standard these days).

8GB storage can be plenty (or not), depending on the user. In most Android phones, an SD-Card (which is 'Flash memory') can solve that, with the added advantage of being user swap-able/upgrade-able.

Hope that helps reduce confusion on these similar terms.

-ERD50
Old 06-27-2017, 08:45 AM   #9
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERD50 View Post
The memory used for the user to save photos, files, videos, is also RAM, but it is also non-volatile, so your photos, etc are preserved when the unit is off and/or battery removed. Usually referred to as 'Flash memory' or just 'storage'.

-ERD50
Sorry, a nit-pick - FLASH is not really RAM.

SRAM is faster, power hungry, and more expensive. Good use for a CPU running an application.

FLASH memory is cheaper, usually built from NAND logic gates, and is slower (also typically requiring large block-erase before overwriting). Good use for putting something somewhere and leaving it there.

One persons explanation (not previewed - warning ad-heavy):
Flash memory vs. RAM: What's the difference?
Old 06-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #10
Give me a forum ...

Q.
I'm currently walking 11 miles each way to work, at McDonald's. I'm thinking of buying a bike from Walmart to make my life easier. Will this suffice?

A.
No, I would not ride anything with out a carbon fiber frame and titanium wheels. The frames on inexpensive bicycles are simply not efficient enough for your use. Also, be sure to buy the proper clothing, as you will not get the most out of your bike without the right clothing. This will only cost a minimum of $15,000. Cheers!
travelover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:53 AM   #11

Thanks everybody I am new to cell phones. I plan to use it lightly maybe 5 apps and some surfing.
FANOFJESUS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 09:54 AM   #12
Give me a forum ...

Side-topic technical detail note, ignore if you wish (and you probably should! )...
Quote:
Originally Posted by FIREmenow View Post
Sorry, a nit-pick - FLASH is not really RAM. ...
I really can't agree with that. RAM means Random Access Memory, and Flash is that. True, it is not the same as SRAM or other types of RAM, but it is still RAM. It's like the all roses are flowers but not all flowers are roses logic.

Now, at the deeper nit-pick level, I guess you can say it isn't exactly byte-level random access, as I do think you need to read a block of data, but then the byte you want is selected from that block. And I think (don't know for certain, but it makes sense that it is done that way to me) that is all done at the memory controller level, so even to the CPU it acts like byte-level access RAM. I think hard drives work the same way.

Your other comments appears accurate and informative, but that still doesn't lead to saying Flash is not RAM.

-ERD50
Old 06-27-2017, 09:57 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Q.
I'm currently walking 11 miles each way to work, at McDonald's. I'm thinking of buying a bike from Walmart to make my life easier. Will this suffice?

A.
No, I would not ride anything with out a carbon fiber frame and titanium wheels. The frames on inexpensive bicycles are simply not efficient enough for your use. Also, be sure to buy the proper clothing, as you will not get the most out of your bike without the right clothing. This will only cost a minimum of $15,000. Cheers!

Yes, but people mostly hate the almost-always correct and relevant answer: "It depends".

-ERD50
Old 06-27-2017, 10:06 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
Thanks everybody I am new to cell phones. I plan to use it lightly maybe 5 apps and some surfing.
Wise decision.

I have a 4 year old Moto G w/ 8 GB. Dozens of apps installed, and it is perfectly suitable for my needs.
mrfeh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 10:16 AM   #15
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Your other comments appears accurate and informative, but that still doesn't lead to saying Flash is not RAM.

-ERD50[/INDENT]
Only trying to clarify your two paragraphs earlier, wherein, the way it was worded, one could mistakenly INFER that these are both the same type of memory (hardware).
Old 06-27-2017, 10:41 AM   #16
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by rec7 View Post
I have found having a phone with a user replaceable flash drive very lovely.
I can tell my phone to store the apps and photos on either the phone or the flash drive.

So I put in a 64 Gig flash drive and have lots of room for the various apps, photos, movies, etc.

I will never buy a phone without the ability for me to add storage space to the phone.
Sunset is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:26 AM   #17

Never is a long time ...

I never say never 😀
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2017, 11:45 AM   #18
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I don't know for certain,
Indeed........
Old 06-28-2017, 02:45 AM   #19
Recycles dryer sheets

Cell phone question

I have a moto 5g+ handles all the apps that I have loaded, big enough screen for these mature eyes to read, etc. I feel that it is good bang for the buck.
chrisaukcam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2017, 07:11 AM   #20
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Originally Posted by travelover View Post
Q.

A.
Carbon fiber? I can't believe you're still recommending that junk. My bike is made of unobtainium blessed by the Pope. The wheels are a medical-grade titanium-gold alloy, four times stronger than mere titanium, and they're only six millimeters wide. The whole thing is lighter than a fart.

Lycra is also outmoded, replace by lighter and sleeker spray-on shorts. You don't even need a helmet, as the speeds you'll be able to attain will guarantee that an accident is non-survivable.

The price is slightly more than the gross national product of Andorra, and only a little less than my last divorce, but what does money matter? For six weeks, you'll be the fastest thing on two wheels. Then the new model will be released.
Nightcap is offline   Reply With Quote