Join Early Retirement Today

Old 08-15-2017, 09:35 AM   #561
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I didn't think Venus was that big. Maybe we should terraform that instead of Earth. OTOH, I understand it's rather hot and humid there.

The worst decisions are usually made in times of anger and impatience.
Chuckanut is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 08-15-2017, 02:10 PM   #562
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckanut View Post
I didn't think Venus was that big. Maybe we should terraform that instead of Earth. OTOH, I understand it's rather hot and humid there.
Gonna assume you meant terraform Mars, not Earth..

When I was a kid, speculative fiction about Venus was on par with that about Mars (Rice Burroughs notwithstanding) Pioneer kind of killed that off.
Old 08-15-2017, 02:19 PM   #563

Quote:
I didn't think Venus was that big.
I remember in high school I missed out on winning a $1,000 prize (serious money in 1967) from a radio station call-in quiz because I was too lazy to get my butt out of bed and make the call. In a science class that day the question had been answered.

The question was "What planet in the solar system is closest in size to the earth?" I knew the answer was Venus. But I had insomnia for some reason, it was 3:00 AM, I was listening to the radio via a small transistor radio on my bed, I had school the next morning, and I (wrongly) figured I'd be too late to dial in. And yes, "dial" was the way it was done then, no push-buttons on our phone.

After about five minutes of no one calling and giving me ample time to call in, someone else did. And got it wrong! He said "Mars".

Talk about figuratively kicking yourself in the butt for the rest of the month!
Old 08-15-2017, 02:41 PM   #564

Quote:
Definitely hot (900 degrees), but I don't think humid. Predominantly CO2 and, I believe, sulfuric acid. Not particularly pleasant....
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2017, 06:42 PM   #565
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mystang52 View Post
Definitely hot (900 degrees), but I don't think humid. Predominantly CO2 and, I believe, sulfuric acid. Not particularly pleasant....

Are you sure? I saw this movie years ago "Queen of Outer Space" with Zsa Zsa Gabor. It looked pretty good to me.

Old 08-16-2017, 09:05 AM   #566
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Are you sure? I saw this movie years ago "Queen of Outer Space" with Zsa Zsa Gabor. It looked pretty good to me.
OMG! Check out the trailer:

So in 1958, they figured we would be traveling to Venus by 1985! And we are still waiting for flying cars!

OK, the whole thing was meant as a joke, but still. I didn't know it could get this bad (but some of those girls from Venus are very nice looking!).

-ERD50
ERD50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 11:27 AM   #567
Give me a forum ...

We opted for less space. 1400 sq feet...down from about 4000.

It is perfect.
brett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2017, 03:44 PM   #568

Quote:
Originally Posted by brett View Post
We opted for less space.
but is that your final frontier ?
Old 09-14-2017, 11:26 PM   #569
Give me a forum ...

If you haven't seen Elon's/SpaceX blooper video how not to land you're in for a treat.

It worth noting that Elon posted this at 2 AM California and evidently was involved in the making of it. Does the guy sleep?

clifp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 06:13 AM   #570
Gone but not forgotten

What happens when 4 men and 2 women live together for 8 months in a 1200 square foot room?

News from The Associated Press
imoldernu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 07:20 AM   #571

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post
If you haven't seen Elon's/SpaceX blooper video how not to land you're in for a treat.
"Entropy is such a lonely word." Gotta love that man.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:11 PM   #572

I can't believe that no one mentioned the end of the Cassini probe yet. This video of Saturn images is awesome.

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/908678835603951617
Old 09-15-2017, 12:25 PM   #573

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRoy View Post
I can't believe that no one mentioned the end of the Cassini probe yet. This video of Saturn images is awesome.

https://twitter.com/NASA/status/908678835603951617
I have been following the Cassini mission since it began. The ongoing pictures. and what we learned as the mission progressed, defied proper adjectives. Awesome, awe-inspiring, breathtaking are good starts. But I agree this entire mission was just amazing.
Can't wait (and hope I'm still around!) when the 2 planned Europa missions reach that moon.
mystang52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2017, 12:46 PM   #574

Quote:
Originally Posted by clifp View Post

It worth noting that Elon posted this at 2 AM California and evidently was involved in the making of it. Does the guy sleep?
I think a lot of fortune exec's live off 4hrs of sleep on a semi-daily basis. I knew a VP at GM finance, she never turned work off. Worked from 5am until dinner, then after putting kids to bed right back working on her laptop until 1am.

Couldn't pay me enough.
Old 10-23-2017, 05:04 PM   #575
Give me a forum ...

For those of your who can't get enough Star Trek, check out this freebie on YouTube for Star Trek Continues. IMHO, they get better as ones gets farther into the 10 episodes.

Old 11-09-2017, 10:05 AM   #576
Give me a forum ...

Today (11/09/2017) is the 50th anniversary of the first launch of the Saturn V rocket.

Here's an article:

‘Without Breaking the Shell’: 50 Years Since the Saturn V’s Maiden Launch « AmericaSpace

Quote:
Fifty years ago, the largest and most powerful rocket ever brought to operational status thundered into the clear Florida sky, shaking windows, dislodging roof-tiles and making spectators wonder if the Sunshine State had sunk into the ground.

Quote:
And yet perhaps the most memorable account was that of veteran CBS anchorman Walter Cronkite. “Our building’s shaking!” he exulted. “The roar is terrific. The building’s shaking. This big blast window is shaking. We’re holding it with our hands. Look at that rocket go into the clouds at 3,000 feet. The roar is terrific!”

Old 11-09-2017, 10:24 AM   #577
Full time employment: Posting here.

AWESOME! Thanks for posting. I'm hoping to go see the Spacex Delta Heavy launch soon.
48Fire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 10:37 AM   #578

Quote:
Originally Posted by Koogie View Post
Gonna assume you meant terraform Mars, not Earth..

When I was a kid, speculative fiction about Venus was on par with that about Mars (Rice Burroughs notwithstanding) Pioneer kind of killed that off.
I read somewhere not too long ago that Mars was the best candidate for terraforming a planet. I guess that's obvious. What's not so obvious is that even if everything went right, with our current technology it would still take 100 years to change Mars weather conditions to make it suitable for life as we know it.

Now, Stephen Hawking and Elon Musk want to go to Alpha Centauri to look for life or possible Earth like planets. I would like to see it too, but I just don't think I will see it my lifetime.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 12:41 PM   #579

When I lived in Atlanta I heard from some of the older folks in the astronomy club that when the F-1 engines for the first stage of the Saturn V were tested in Huntsville, it could be felt in Atlanta. This web page states that the test firing was the loudest noise ever heard in Alabama.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2017, 02:53 PM   #580
Full time employment: Posting here.

I recently finished the 3 book trilogy by Cixin Liu (Chinese author, translated). Three Body Problem, The Dark Forest and Death's End.

It is fiction, but the third book (Death's End) took "space is big" to a new meaning. Amazing imagination and story. No way to explain other than to say read it.

Recommended if you are a space/fiction fan.
bloom2708 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
space spacex