Join Early Retirement Today

Old 03-21-2018, 10:22 AM   #21

I would make yourself a priority right now. Look for a job. You obviously have some skills, and a good reason for being out of the job market for a number of years. You may wish to check with your local or State government for assistance with job placement if you don't find one on your own quickly. You may qualify for some income assistance, food stamps, or assisted housing until you get on your feet. I would try all those before taking the pension leveling.

Unless there is a will or other document disposing of the house, you should take half the proceeds. You need it. Good luck.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-21-2018, 10:50 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by pb4uski View Post
Would it be feasible for you to move into your sister's apartment or for the both of you to share a different, larger apartment? That may be your best option... if you and your sister combine your resources and incomes you may both be able to live better than if you live separately.

Exactly what I was thinking this morning, perhaps OP could share living arrangements with sister, even have sister move into the house (may be cheaper than apt with more space).
Old 03-21-2018, 10:58 AM   #23
Give me a forum ...

I hope you consider all the good suggestions that you have been given. I hope this also serves as a cautionary tale to others on what not to do. While it was a wonderful thing to do for your parents you sacrificed your own old age. When my Dad was sick for 14 years I helped my Mom with him but I was a SAHM during that time. When my Mom needed help I and my 2 sibs would take time off of work (sick and vacation time) and rotate but none of us would have quit our jobs. I would never expect my kids to do that either because the sacrifice is too great. BTW, I am not an uncaring person as I spent my life working in human services and have seen many sad situations like this. It is time to do what is best for both yourself and your sister so I hope you take some of the good advice you have been given.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 11:18 AM   #24
Give me a forum ...

I agree with moving in with your sister. It doesn't really seem like there is enough assets / income between the two of you to live separately. I would also look for a job as soon as possible, even something like the beer money forum on Reddit or a gig type job like dog walking on Rover until you find something full time. Or apply for financial aid at a community college and get in some kind of short term certificate program to earn more.

Or could you both live in the parent's house and also rent out a room for extra income? Our young adult kids each live in houses where they have two or more roommates and and it really helps to keep fixed expenses low.
Even clouds seem bright and breezy, 'Cause the livin' is free and easy, See the rat race in a new way, Like you're wakin' up to a new day (Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether lyrics, Alan Parsons Project, based on an EA Poe story)
daylatedollarshort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:53 PM   #25
gone traveling

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbermaid View Post
Basically if you collect a company pension before opting into Social Security, the company will take your SSA estimate of what you might get at age 66 for SSA and use it to supplement your monthly company pension monthly amount till age 66 when they will then reduce your company pension amount for the rest of your life.

So, if I opt in I have to do it when I first accept the company pension. I anticipate if I do so, that I'll receive approx $1,300 per month in company pension (instead of $616) till age 66. At age 66 my company pension will drop down close to zero and my full SSA of $1408 per month will kick in. The amounts will vary slightly due to the amounts of both company and SSA COLAS which accumulate by then.
Unless you have absolutely no other choice, it doesn't seem to make sense to collect a higher pension for a few years, then pretty much nothing for the rest of your life.

I would suggest trying hard to get a job and see if you can live on your income for as long as possible. If you can find a way to hold off on collecting social security until 70, I think that is your best option.
joeea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I applaud you for dealing with a very difficult life situation with compassion and no apparent bitterness.

You are kind and compassionate towards the less fortunate and have options such perhaps a live-in caretaker with a wage and a place to live.

A nursing home activity director or personal care attendant.

Our nearest big hospital has an attached guest house where an attendant sleeps over keeps the kitchen area clean and is on call for emergencies.

An agency in our area has personal care aides, my SIL hired one for the day of her Dad's funeral, her Mom needed help in and out of the car and to the bathroom and stuff like that.

It seems you would be a natural for many of these jobs and after interviewing you people would realize they would be lucky to have you. Good Luck.
ivinsfan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:16 PM   #27
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Sticking to the numbers...

It appears that the company would give you (1500-616) = $684 extra per month for 6 years,
in exchange for giving you (616-100) = 516 less per month thereafter,.

The breakeven date on that deal is about your 74th birthday. I'd go for the regular, level pension.

And, that's ignoring the COLA in the pension. The COLA makes the level payment even more attractive. How much more depends on how they do the COLA for the stepdown option. (Also, I'm guessing on the $100 above.)

I noticed that my local Target store is advertising $11.25/hr to start. That's $1,350 per month assuming 4, 30 hour weeks. I'd be optimistic about earning enough to match your eventual SS benefit, though it may take a little while to get there.

And, ignoring the numbers, you sound like a wonderful person for your commitment to your family.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 01:29 PM   #28

How exactly did the house ownership pass to your sister?

Did she get her name added to the deed? Did she get your parents sign a Quit Claim deed to her? If so, were your parents fully informed and aware of the result of what this would be? (ie your sister receiving the house and you, her caregiver, getting nothing?)

Probate courts can and will reverse transfers like this when the surviving sibling was not exactly above board.

-gauss
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 03:19 PM   #29
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by rubbermaid View Post
My sister is 70, in decent physical shape right now and may outlive me. She suffered a traumatic event at age 5 which left her emotionally and mentally stunted to the level of a late teenager. She was incapable of helping with the folks, and I will have to supervise her welfare for the rest of her or my life. She works a simple job and I have her set up in her own apartment, but I'm her POA and manage her expenses. She is resentful of this because she is older and doesn't perceive her inadequacies. She knows everything that I have done, but doesn't understand it's significance. She has a small pension and will get a decent SSA award shortly. I've also built up her both her 401k s to just over 100K total. She'll get the house money (maybe $90K, because market values are very low here) too per the wishes of my folks, because whether I'm around or not she can't manage on her own and will ultimately have to pay for personal or nursing care.
It sounds like your sister cannot take care of her finances and you have to oversee them (and have done well at that). Sad irony that you seem to be on the edge financially yourself--you have spent years taking care of your parents and of her economic life, while neglecting your own. If you can possibly claim half of the house proceeds, you certainly are justified to, imo.
Old 03-21-2018, 03:28 PM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Independent View Post

It appears that the company would give you (1500-616) = $684 extra per month for 6 years,

The breakeven date on that deal is about your 74th birthday. I'd go for the regular, level pension.

And, that's ignoring the COLA in the pension. The COLA makes the level payment even more attractive. How much more depends on how they do the COLA for the stepdown option. (Also, I'm guessing on the $100 above.)
I think what you meant was NOT to take the income leveling pension option and to instead take the regular pension. The "leveled" pension is the one that keeps her income level by jacking up for a few years prior to SS and then dropping when SS kicks.
Spock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2018, 04:27 PM   #31
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:

......d go for the regular, level pension.

This is confusing as it's one or the other:

Regular Pension or RipOff Level option
Old 03-21-2018, 04:51 PM   #32

OP-

Lots of good advice on which pension to take, trying to live with your sister, and employment so, I won’t rehash that.

Did your father or mother serve in the military? If so, there is a possibility (and it’s a small possibility) that you might be eligible for Dependency & Indemnity Compensation (DIC). If either of your parents is a Veteran, PM me and I can guide you through the process of determining if you’re eligible.

I admire you for what you’ve done for your family.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 02:51 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post

Did your father or mother serve in the military? If so, there is a possibility (and it’s a small possibility) that you might be eligible for Dependency & Indemnity Compensation (DIC). If either of your parents is a Veteran, PM me and I can guide you through the process of determining if you’re eligible.
+1
This can be significant in the cases I have seen (where there is a surviving widow involved). Do take Huston55 up on his offer if your parents served.
gauss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 06:18 PM   #34

Quote:

I noticed that my local Target store is advertising $11.25/hr to start. That's $1,350 per month assuming 4, 30 hour weeks. I'd be optimistic about earning enough to match your eventual SS benefit, though it may take a little while to get there.

And, ignoring the numbers, you sound like a wonderful person for your commitment to your family.
Edit: I see the confusion in labels.

I meant that I would take the option where the pension remains level at $616 (plus the COLA).
I would not take the option where the pension starts high and steps down.
Independent is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2018, 10:16 AM   #35
Give me a forum ...

Some places like Starbucks and Home Depot give health insurance to p.t. workers. I would get a survival job as soon as possible. Even p.t. would be a big help.
Teacher Terry is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 08:09 PM   #36

I would look for a job as soon as possible and delay getting the social security check as long as possible. What if you live a long time and can no longer work? What happens then? So that's why I agree with others that getting a working paycheck and having it for as long as possible. Then if you need to take SS , hey you need it. But I would put it off for as long as possible since you have no savings.

The first rule of compounding: Never interupt it unnecessarily. Charlie Munger
UnrealizedPotential is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2018, 10:13 PM   #37

rubbermaid,

I too am awed by your dedication to family and the sacrifices you made. To summarize most of the recent posts, if you can get a min-wage or better job there is no reason to take the levelized pension.

As others have noted, based on your writing skills you should be able to get a customer service or similar job, and IMO do well. My thoughts on your situation are:
  • A minimum wage job is $1,200/month, which on top of your regular pension is manageable for a low cost-of-living area
  • A 3% COLA on your pension is great, so you don't want to lose that by going with the levelization scheme
  • If family dynamics work, living with your sister seems to be a great solution (or compromise!).
Good luck and God bless you.

"All models are wrong, some are useful." - George Box
There is always a well-known solution to every human problem: neat, plausible, and wrong.” - H.L. Mencken
USGrant1962 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
ssa leveling income