Join Early Retirement Today

Single, relocating after FIRE
Old 03-22-2018, 06:59 PM   #1
Recycles dryer sheets

Single, relocating after FIRE

I have been FIRE'd for about four years and am starting to give some serious consideration to relocating. The high costs and traffic congestion is something that I want to get away from. I am not tied to the Denver area because of family or kids. I have zeroed in on a location, checked out housing, medical care, etc.

In the past when changing location is was always for a job. That was always the compelling reason to go. My question is mostly directed to the uncoupled and that is if you relocated as a single was it harder after FIRE? Most relocation threads discuss the "we". I would like some thoughts about any pitfalls that may have been encountered, or did you make the decision not to relocate because you do not have a spouse/partner to help with the transition.
pjm-7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 03-22-2018, 07:35 PM   #2
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Single. Relocated after FIRE. It was easy. Easier than when I was working mostly because when I was working I was under some time pressure. You can only take so much time between current Point A and Point B. Usually it was a race against time to get to the new place, find a new place to live, & in the old days had to open a new bank account at an in-State bank. (especially in the early years) Then show up at the new work place for meet and greet yadda yadda. All those things going on simultaneously.

After I quit I could do it more or less at my leisure. The only time pressure I had was not letting my household stuff sit too long after arrival in the area because that costs money. But I was there to settle in anyway so I was not about to waste time getting my stuff unloaded.
razztazz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 07:46 PM   #3
Recycles dryer sheets

The first time I FIREd I relocated to a new city. The logistics of moving were easy. But building a social network in your 40's without job acquaintances was challenging. And most of the people I did meet were couples, and weren't always thrilled to have an extra single woman in their midst. Lots of meetups, book clubs, volunteer events, etc. It took some time but eventually I built a small network. The social isolation was part of the reason I took a job when one presented itself 18 months into my retirement.

I am now retiring again, in yet another area, and expect similar issues. I am older, and there are more retirees here. But I plan to actively explore churches, clubs, and new sports to meet people and get established. This time I will have more patience with myself and the process.
Lagniappe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2018, 08:46 PM   #4
Recycles dryer sheets

I'm going to RE later this year and live in a high cost high conjestion area. I need to be free of my job and the commute on public transpo so I can figure out where I want to live. I have a country place but I'm afraid to go there because I have no network, and not sure I'm up for trying to build one. I'm overdone by the throngs of people I encounter everyday. I was actually considering rural CO, at least for a long stay, few months to a year. Im single, female, and figure there won't be much network anywhere.
akidagain2018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2018, 08:21 AM   #5

I was single/retired when I decided to move from NYC to another country, I had never visited. I went online to line up a "long haired dictionary" and joined an expat forum to get the lay of the land. I chose a heavily touristed area for the language issues and scheduled lunches with the more knowledgeable expats. I would breakfast at the "in" Cafe and go to "happy hour" at the expat bar.

The guy I met my first day at "happy hour" 15 years ago became my closet friend and the 3rd gal I dated has been my Wife for 13 years now. I had a ownership interest in that "in" Cafe and after a few years of assimilation, people started calling me "The Mayor" and seeking out my advice.

It started taking over my life and though I enjoyed the notoriety and "free Whiskey", I walked away to enjoy the time with my wife and two young boy's.

Those first year's were truly memorable and my Wife and I now have friends from around the world, so in retrospect it was the best decision I have made yet!
NYEXPAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Your interests can help
Old 03-27-2018, 08:34 AM   #6

Your interests can help

I plan to relocate after retirement, but a few years down the road. If you have a serious hobby - some of them are location dependent and that can help decide. See the thread on retiring to Florida and the recommendations to Scuba about picking the Atlantic side rather than the Gulf side due to Scuba's self-denotive hobby.

The NY Times recently had a good article on making plans for aging as a single with no kids. It indirectly touched on situating oneself: https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/23/b...hans-care.html
Old 03-27-2018, 08:47 AM   #7
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

We retired to the West Coast of Florida without knowing anyone, but did check out the area extensively and had our heart set on Florida for a few years before moving. However being a couple in a new place could be very different than a single.
Old 03-27-2018, 08:52 AM   #8
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I am single and relocated shortly before ER. I had thought that w*rking would be my key to integrating into the community. In reality, once I retired, I developed a much larger circle of friends with shared interests. I am fortunate to live in a community with a lot of early retirees and a very active newcomers club.
Meadbh is offline   Reply With Quote