Join Early Retirement Today

Old 05-21-2018, 12:59 PM   #121
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
Not so sure!!!
Some of our Cajun friends love eating nutria too, but I'm not eating that either.

You know what I'd do in a doomsday scenario? I love fishing and I love cooking and eating fish. We live just a few short blocks from Lake Ponchartrain, and the Gulf of Mexico isn't all that far away either. So I'm pretty sure we wouldn't have to resort to eating disgusting critters like squirrels, wharf rats, or nutria. Fish would be amazing, terrific, and utterly delicious.
Plus you have the world's largest supply of Mud Bugs at your fingertips!
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-21-2018, 01:11 PM   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Plus you have the world's largest supply of Mud Bugs at your fingertips!
See? there you go. We have seafood everywhere here. And if Frank brought home a gator, a duck, or some edible snakes, that would be fine, too.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 01:50 PM   #123
Administrator

I guess it all depends on just how hungry one is. Nicely described by scenes from two well known films. Tom Hanks, eating a live fish in Castaway, and Charlie Chapman making a feast out of his shoe in The Gold Rush.
MichaelB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:22 PM   #124
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelB View Post
I guess it all depends on just how hungry one is. Nicely described by scenes from two well known films. Tom Hanks, eating a live fish in Castaway, and Charlie Chapman making a feast out of his shoe in The Gold Rush.
Not to further derail this thread (hard to do at this point ). But....that scene in Castaway is one of my favorites. It’s the first scene when time is fast forwarded. He’s a lean, mean survival machine; he’s learned to fashion a multiprong fishing spear & gets his prey on the first throw; then, the utter resignation on his face as he eats the fish raw tells us everything we need to know about his feelings on his predicament. That one short scene speaks volumes and is a microcosm of the entire movie.
Huston55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 06:30 PM   #125
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I would rather starve than eat squirrel.

Well, I say that, but I have never been in a position to have to choose. I do know that for sure, I would rather go to bed hungry than eat squirrel.

I don't like gamey foods! I hate venison, too, if that is any consolation.

I'm a city girl. It's city water, city sewage, and food from grocery stores, for me.
Me too. LOL
street is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2018, 10:01 PM   #126
Confused about dryer sheets

I worry about this risk as well but am managing it by putting enough of our portfolio in cash to live on for 2-3 years. We have the cash split between high yield savings and CDs, currently averaging over 2% return. I predict CD rates will be up in the 3’s before long. That is good enough to me to have the peace of mind to avoid the sequence of return risk. I actually have very few bond funds. I’d rather have high yielding cash and stocks mostly. I am sure to also own individual stocks that pay dividends like ATT, Apple and Pfizer so that even when the stocks crash you can still get the dividends. I think this strategy is good for smoothing out risk. It might sacrifice a little return but I place high value on sleeping at night!
Danie424 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:11 PM   #127

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danie424 View Post
I am sure to also own individual stocks that pay dividends like ATT, Apple and Pfizer so that even when the stocks crash you can still get the dividends. I think this strategy is good for smoothing out risk
I HATE getting dividends and having to pay taxes on them when the market's down, as the investment is at a loss. If you don't retain the dividends in the stock, you're getting hit with both taxes on what I consider a loss, and at the same time, not allowing the value of the dividend shares to recover. IMHO, it's a bad practice to take out dividends and not reinvest them in down markets. Other opinions?
HI Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:17 PM   #128
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HNL Bill View Post
I HATE getting dividends and having to pay taxes on them when the market's down, as the investment is at a loss. If you don't retain the dividends in the stock, you're getting hit with both taxes on what I consider a loss, and at the same time, not allowing the value of the dividend shares to recover. IMHO, it's a bad practice to take out dividends and not reinvest them in down markets. Other opinions?
If shares are down I’m buying more stock due to rebalancing, so no this is not a biggie for me.
Old 05-22-2018, 12:19 PM   #129
gone traveling

Even if we experience a doomsday here at least I have a wife that could handle it, she’s used to bartering, selling, farming, making your own, even with a catastrophe here we’d still be ahead of the times compared to her Thailand village life. No gas, no electric, no stores, no problem, that’s how she’s lived for 40 years.
97guns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 12:34 PM   #130
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark24609 View Post
For some reason, squirrel sounds tasty, like Frog legs which I love
Not even remotely the same. But both are good!
Old 05-22-2018, 12:36 PM   #131
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Huston55 View Post
Not to further derail this thread (hard to do at this point ). But....that scene in Castaway is one of my favorites. It’s the first scene when time is fast forwarded. He’s a lean, mean survival machine; he’s learned to fashion a multiprong fishing spear & gets his prey on the first throw; then, the utter resignation on his face as he eats the fish raw tells us everything we need to know about his feelings on his predicament. That one short scene speaks volumes and is a microcosm of the entire movie.
On the other hand, many of us spend meaningful money to eat raw fish called sashimi.

Ha
Old 05-22-2018, 12:40 PM   #132
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 97guns View Post
I’ll stick to my cases of toilet paper in the attic, makes for great insulation and I figure I can trade a roll for some frog legs or a squirrel post doomsday
no way José. Most of the world does without tp, and none of us can do without food, at least not long unless we start out plenty fat.

Ha
Old 05-22-2018, 12:46 PM   #133

Quote:
For some reason, squirrel sounds tasty, like Frog legs which I love
Old 05-22-2018, 05:15 PM   #134

Quote:
Originally Posted by haha View Post
no way José. Most of the world does without tp, and none of us can do without food, at least not long unless we start out plenty fat.

Ha
I'm not fat. I am famine resistant.
GravitySucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:22 PM   #135
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeea View Post
I don't think I'd like eating city sewage... but that's just me.
Quote:
Er, not exactly what I meant! But it might be better than eating squirrel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by REWahoo View Post
This is where I have to disagree - strongly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
With a bit of sewage as an appetizer, the squirrel will taste fantastic.
Hold the sewage. I will just have my squirrel straight, please!

There's a dish in the world, which I have never come close to, which is reportedly as smelly as sewage! I don't care what it tastes like, that smell would trigger my gag reflex.

With squirrel which I have not had, I am sure the meat will be fine, and with the right seasoning, it is most likely a good eat.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
NW-Bound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:51 PM   #136
Give me a forum ...

This thread has gone down the drain.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:05 PM   #137
Full time employment: Posting here.

Flush twice and then check again. As for famine, that doesn’t affect those who are breatharians.
Old 05-22-2018, 07:23 PM   #138
Moderator Emeritus

I saw an extremely large grey squirrel on my driveway this afternoon. He looked me in the eye, but did not seem very scared of me at all. He probably reads the forum and knew he was completely safe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
There's a dish in the world, which I have never come close to, which is reportedly as smelly as sewage! I don't care what it tastes like, that smell would trigger my gag reflex.
Are you thinking of balut? I have heard some descriptions like that, but have never eaten it myself.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:57 PM   #139
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
With squirrel which I have not had, I am sure the meat will be fine, and with the right seasoning, it is most likely a good eat.
Squirrel is very tasty. It reminds me of dark meat chicken, but it is richer and somewhat more flavorful. Squirrel and dumplings and squirrel pot pie are hard to beat, and of course they are great in gumbo.

About 2nd or 3rd grade my youngest had to do an "all about me" assignment and one of the questions was what is your favorite food (squirrel pot pie)? So my wife had to face the teacher when she asked (in a genteelly horrified tone), "does your family eat squirrel?"

I would have paid good money to see that go down.

- George Orwell

Ezekiel 23:20
brewer12345 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 07:58 PM   #140
Recycles dryer sheets

Quote:
Does anyone ever worry about their portfolio?

Let’s say an investor with a $3,000,000 portfolio has 40% in stocks, which is the recommended allocation from many financial advisors for retirement. I often hear take the number 100 subtract your age and that is the allocation you should have for stocks. Age 60 means 100 - 60 = 40%. You decide to retire at age 60. It is the day before you retire. You have your retirement party and everyone says their goodbyes. You have no pension. You wake up the next day after some world event transpired followed by terrible earnings reports from your favorite companies. The market tanks 10%. The spiral downward continues dropping a total of 45% in two years, and then it takes four years for recovery.

40% means you have 1,200,000 invested in the stock market. After the drop, that leaves you with $720,000 still invested in the stock market and a loss of $480,000 in your portfolio. Because inflation has also picked up your bond portfolio drops 5% in the same time period. That’s an additional $90,000 ($1,800,000 * .05) drop. You have now lost $570,000. That once magnificent $3,000,000 portfolio just left you with $2,430,000 but wait, you still have to live. We have to subtract $94,000 (my estimated annual living expenses) for the two years of drop and the four years of recovery, a total of 6 years (we won’t take any inflation adjustment) that’s an additional $564,000 we have to subtract in a bear market. We became eligible for Social Security at age 66, one year before the recovery so we add 50,000 back’ (amount my wife and I should receive) Now we have $1,916,000. During the course of six years, more than a third of your portfolio vanished.

That means to make back your $1,084,000, your portfolio has to increase more than 33%. Of course, you may have had a heart attack before all this is finished in which case you no longer have to worry.
move money to cash or principal protected vehicles.

Savings account, CD's, Fixed annuities, fixed index annuities,

for a period you're comfotable with.

or better yet ..find a way to earn some passive income
jzajzz is offline   Reply With Quote