Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-20-2018, 07:29 AM   #21
Full time employment: Posting here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katsmeow View Post
But there are a number of things that have sentimental value to me that I want to kept and would enjoy looking at. Now -- to be clear -- many of these things are not really aesthetically pleasing. I want to look at them because of the meaning they have for me.

Anyway -- any ideas? If you display any of this kind of stuff, what do you do?
I have built-in shelves in the corner of my bedroom. I enclosed the top shelf with a clear plastic sheet. Then I cleaned each item the best I could - not easy since a few of them are, at this point, over 100 years old. They are arranged so I can see them all. Now that they are no longer a dusting chore, it is a joy to look at them.

Picture attached, somewhat obscured by the reflections on the "glass" front. Most of the things belonged to my parents and evoke happy memories of them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_0847.jpg (478.2 KB, 10 views)
misshathaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-20-2018, 09:09 AM   #22
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

I have a bookcase in my dining room and 3 shelves have books and 3 have pictures and sentimental items.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 10:04 AM   #23
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

We've done some fun things with Shadow Box picture frames. They are deep and have glass, and we have a few of my dad's fishing lures in one.

I bought another and add all our ticket stubs from games & concerts through a slot DH drilled at the top.

Whenever I am looking for ideas like this, I am always amazed at what I can find on Pinterest: http://pinterest.com/ There are some clever people out there.

Try searching it for "displaying greeting cards" or "displaying old toys", something like that. Watch out, you'll fall down a pretty deep rabbit hole.
SumDay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 11:23 AM   #24
Moderator Emeritus

I have no toys or other stuff from my childhood that I ended up with (grew up very poor), but DD has a few items I gave her that she treasures.

One is a pull toy wooden duck (Walter) I bought in Germany in the early 1980's that she has displayed on a bookshelf in her hallway. She was two when I gave that to her and she pulled it around until the "quacker" wore out. It's all wood and painter bright green, orange and yellow with some red in it. I guess the rest of the items are in boxes somewhere in her house.

Its just like this (exactly):

duck.jpg
Old 07-20-2018, 12:40 PM   #25
Give me a forum ...

My plan for the sentimental stuff that I would like to display. I am going to crate a small shadow box for some of my Dad's stuff...mostly aviation related since this was a love we had in common.

My Mom was pretty big into drawing out sketches of floor plans (she designed their home) so I am going to pick out 2 or 3 of those sketches and have them framed.

These will be displayed in my home office, where "Dad's Chair" will welcome me for unanticipated but much revered afternoon naps at any given time. If there was a log book for that chair for the hours snoozing, it would number in the many, many thousands.

Here are couple of pictures of it. The older one was Dad and me...and my first dog. The second one is how it looks today...and yes, it's calling to me...come...nap...now. It's all powerful, you know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dad.jpg (494.5 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_20180720_142744330.jpg (333.5 KB, 9 views)
Old 07-20-2018, 03:49 PM   #26
Give me a forum ...

I made a shadowbox of my Dad's items from when he was a city councilman and gave it to my oldest son.
Teacher Terry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 04:08 PM   #27

I tend to keep more stuff than I should, but I'm doing better. I'm at the point where I'll ask myself "Do I really want my kids to have to throw this away someday, or should I just do it now?" That helps a lot when choosing which category things are in.

Sometimes I worry that stupid little things I hang onto will cause my kids to feel bad about throwing them away, thinking they "meant something" to me. Not really. Keep the memories. The junk can go in the trash.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 07:52 PM   #28
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
I tend to keep more stuff than I should, but I'm doing better. I'm at the point where I'll ask myself "Do I really want my kids to have to throw this away someday, or should I just do it now?" That helps a lot when choosing which category things are in.

Sometimes I worry that stupid little things I hang onto will cause my kids to feel bad about throwing them away, thinking they "meant something" to me. Not really. Keep the memories. The junk can go in the trash.
+10,000

I spent 3 hours this afternoon getting rid of various things. Things that I felt I needed or were dear to me years ago, just aren't any more. I threw out my PhD prelims and college transcripts and research stuff, and old Christmas cards from family members that had nothing written on them except for a signature. While I was at it, I threw out (or will take to the shredding company) paper bills from 1996-2015, and tax materials from 1996-2010. If anybody decides they need any of that old paperwork, then too bad.

Feels good, like a boulder off my chest.

I think many humans just keep way too much stuff, or at least I do.

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2018, 08:00 PM   #29
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by misshathaway View Post
Picture attached, somewhat obscured by the reflections on the "glass" front. Most of the things belonged to my parents and evoke happy memories of them.
That is lovely. That is a great idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teacher Terry View Post
I have a bookcase in my dining room and 3 shelves have books and 3 have pictures and sentimental items.
We are big on bookshelves and something like that might work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SumDay View Post
We've done some fun things with Shadow Box picture frames. They are deep and have glass, and we have a few of my dad's fishing lures in one.
I like the Shadow Box idea also for some of the smaller items. I did look up greeting cards and displays and that is how I found the pic of the gutters holding the cards which was incredibly cool looking.

I am actually meeting with an interior designer next week about various issues (especially the bathroom remodel) but I am going to ask her about this issue also.
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 03:01 AM   #30

Many people want to give stuff away to loved ones, but wind up moving their basement stuff to others basements.

My mother died when I was young. When in college, my great aunt (mother's side) put together a photo album of my Mom as a child, teen, young bride and mother. Auntie gave it to me, and it is a treasured possession, since I never received any photos from my dad. If I had been given a shoe box of photos instead, who knows where it would have ended up? The album is easy to store, and easy to pull out when nostalgic.

Nearly 50 years later, I still think of my late Aunt when flipping through the album. What a great gift.
brucethebroker is offline   Reply With Quote