Portal Forums Links Register FAQ Community Calendar Log in

Join Early Retirement Today

Old 07-05-2018, 05:22 PM   #121

Individual preferences for soft boiled eggs are even more diverse than for hard.

No way will you get consensus on that one.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 07-05-2018, 05:23 PM   #122
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
Individual preferences for soft boiled eggs are even more diverse than for hard.

No way will you get consensus on that one.
Sorry I asked.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:09 PM   #123

No, it's a very good question.

The classic "three minute egg" has many variations.

I've never been a fan myself, but my mother loved her soft boiled eggs, and even had an "egg cup" that held it while she ate it.

I was just trying to prepare you for the inevitable plethora of opinions on the topic.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:17 PM   #124
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Sorry I asked.
I do my soft boiled eggs for 4 minutes after they reach a rolling boil, which is about half as long as I boil hard boiled eggs. I don't like three minute soft boiled eggs as much as 4 minute because they are too runny and uncooked for my taste. YMMV

Happily retired since 2009, at age 61. Best years of my life by far!
W2R is offline   Reply With Quote
This is Great!!
Old 07-07-2018, 07:35 AM   #125
Recycles dryer sheets

This is Great!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by klucich View Post
1) Bring pot of water to boil over med-high heat.
2) Slide eggs in one at a time with tablespoon. If they are cold, some may crack, but that's really not an issue for me. Doesn't seem to affect them much.
3) Set timer to 14 minutes. Eggs will return to boil, but time is not counted from when the water returns to boil, but rather when you put them into the hot water. I do about 4-6 at a time, so you may have to add a minute or two if more.
4) Remove pot from stove and rinse under cold water 15 seconds or so, just long enough only to be able to set the pan into the sink. Add just enough water to cover the eggs.
5) Immediately pour a layer of ice over and let sit for at least 10 minutes.
6) Crack eggs and rinse under water. They peel so easily most of the time I can just crack and squeeze them out.

Works on fresh or old eggs. Ran across this a couple of years ago and I really can't believe it took over 50 years to perfect a hard boiled egg. I've tried everything else people have suggested with varying degrees of success, but this works perfect every time.
I tried Klucich's method of cooking the eggs and it is is fantastic. The shells come off in one piece and the eggs are perfect. My life has changed!!
LuckyDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 08:55 AM   #126
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
I do my soft boiled eggs for 4 minutes after they reach a rolling boil, which is about half as long as I boil hard boiled eggs. I don't like three minute soft boiled eggs as much as 4 minute because they are too runny and uncooked for my taste. YMMV
I'm with you, although I'm closer to 5.

I like my soft boiled barely running, i.e. about 2 1/2 minutes. A 4 or 5 min egg is totally "wrong" according to all the chefs I see on TV. Apparently serving a nearly raw egg is the proper way.
JoeWras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 09:08 AM   #127
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem View Post
I put the eggs in the pot with cold tap water.
Put in a of salt (4 TBSP?). This is not for flavoring, but to make the water boil at a higher temperature. This is supposed to make the eggs easier to peel, and I think maybe it works.
Put on high heat, and let 'em cok for about 10 minutes after the water boils.

I use this technique but no more than a teaspoon of salt. Seems to work on the ease of peeling. I only boil 3-4 at a time. After 10 minutes of boiling I dump the hot water and add cold. Let it sit on stove for 10 minutes or so and then peel. W/o the salt it used to be a pita to peel one.
Old 07-16-2018, 04:07 PM   #128
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDog View Post
I tried Klucich's method of cooking the eggs and it is is fantastic. The shells come off in one piece and the eggs are perfect. My life has changed!!
I also tried his method of cooking the eggs today and they were indeed perfect and very easy to peel. This is my new way of making hard boiled eggs. Thanks
Dreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 06:27 PM   #129

If anyone is still having trouble with eggs, this gadget is on the Prime Day deals for a little while longer : https://www.amazon.com/Dash-Rapid-Eg.../dp/B072JBFR58
cathy63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2018, 07:23 PM   #130
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathy63 View Post
If anyone is still having trouble with eggs, this gadget is on the Prime Day deals for a little while longer : https://www.amazon.com/Dash-Rapid-Eg.../dp/B072JBFR58
Thanks! Just bought one!!
Old 07-16-2018, 07:43 PM   #131
Recycles dryer sheets

...dash egg cooker...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aja8888 View Post
Thanks! Just bought one!!
Me too, love hard and soft boiled and poached. Also bought one for my daughter hoping for her to get into healthy quick breakfast instead of expensive unhealthy starbucks goodies. The red will match her french press.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:47 AM   #132
Recycles dryer sheets

Glad I could help

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyDog View Post
Glad to share LuckyDog. I don' know how many people I've told and I don't think they believe me. Why it took so many years to perfect a boiled egg, I have no idea.
Camas Lilly is offline   Reply With Quote
All you need is a pot of water...
Old 07-20-2018, 09:50 AM   #133
Recycles dryer sheets

All you need is a pot of water...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamer View Post
I also tried his method of cooking the eggs today and they were indeed perfect and very easy to peel. This is my new way of making hard boiled eggs. Thanks
Who needs an appliance for eggs??
Soft and Hard Boiled
Old 07-20-2018, 10:57 AM   #134
Recycles dryer sheets

Soft and Hard Boiled

I think there needs to be two threads for soft and hard boiled eggs. Sounds like soft boiled eggs are an art.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:03 PM   #135
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by klucich View Post
I think there needs to be two threads for soft and hard boiled eggs. Sounds like soft boiled eggs are an art.
I suggested that earlier and it got shot down.
Old 07-20-2018, 09:04 PM   #136
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Tried our new little egg cooker today and it worked great!
Old 07-21-2018, 01:28 AM   #137
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
I actually ordered that on Prime Day (the red version though). It has arrived but I haven't used it yet. I found it on there last year and wasn't quite ready to buy it. The Prime Day sale pushed me over the edge. I am hoping it will work well....
Katsmeow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 06:40 AM   #138
Give me a forum ...

I have the Dash egg cooker, and use it for hard boiled eggs (plus soft boiled). The hard boiled eggs peel easier and more cleanly than when I did it stove top in a pan. But I can’t say they are super easy to peel - not with shells coming off in one or two pieces or anything like that.
Old 07-21-2018, 08:59 AM   #139

Did eggs in the InstantPot this morning. Perfectly done and the shells slipped off in nearly one piece.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2018, 01:02 PM   #140
Give me a forum ...

Well since I already have an instant pot (best thing for stews ever IMO), I’m definitely trying the hard boiled eggs.