Join Early Retirement Today

New Zealand
Old 11-19-2018, 04:03 PM   #1
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

New Zealand

So, we’re in the planning stage for New Zealand ... would like to go in February or so ... have travel partners who have a free first class Delta ticket to use - he just retired from flying.

We looked at cruises and there are some nice ones, but one of lessons learned is that there is never enough time on cruises covering lots of distance ...

So, another thought was to rent and share an apartment or house for a month along with a car and just zip around on day trips ... maybe two locations and try and cover ground that way ...

Anyone done this or anything like it? Recommendations of ANY kind are appreciated!
stephenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 11-19-2018, 04:23 PM   #2
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

My sister and her husband flew to Australia this year and toured before getting on one of the Oceana Cruises to New Zealand. The weather was too bad to dock in two ports in New Zealand, and they missed the southern end of the South Island.

I too would like to stay in one place and do day tours. But the South Island is so long that you'd have to stay in 4 different places to properly see the incredible scenery there.

I checked the normal airfares, and it is a $2000 flight and as long as 35 hours to get there. I'd hate to think how much business class or first class fares would be. Many of us "retirees' would have physical difficulties on such a long flight--uncomfortable.
Bamaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 04:46 PM   #3

DW & I traveled about New Zealand for 3 months, mostly backpacking and staying in hostels. New Zealand's hostel system is outstanding, BTW. We booked our accommodations in advance to insure we would get a private room. Kitchen, bathroom, etc. were almost always shared. We're okay with that, though and actually found that sharing those common areas provided excellent opportunities to meet other people.

Rather than renting a car and driving ourselves around, we opted for Stray Travel. They operate a hop-on, hop-off bus system covering both the north and south islands following prescribed routes with scheduled stops. Passengers have the option of hopping off at those stops and staying as long as they want before hopping back on the next scheduled bus (typically their buses are hitting those stops at least every other day). Their drivers are very knowledgeable and entertaining. We traveled with Stray for 8 weeks and saw New Zealand starting at Cape Reinga in the North all the way to Invercargill to the South. We did a home stay with Maori family on the East cape and at Lake Aniwhenua, stayed in a Maori village.

A caveat though - traveling as we did, staying in shared accommodations is not for everyone. If you need privacy, are uncomfortable in changing social settings or otherwise find it difficult to accept occasional ambiguity, it's probably not your cup of tea.

DW & I were almost always the oldest people by age on the buses. Most of the other passengers were at least 20-30 years younger than us. Yet, we had a great time and several 20-somethings told us that DW & I were an inspiration to them! If, however, you are up for some exciting experiences, meeting lots of new people and seeing some off-the-beaten-path areas of New Zealand that others will not have the opportunity to, it might be worth looking into.
Old 11-19-2018, 04:58 PM   #4
Give me a forum ...

That would be a great destination. Matt Lauer has a ranch there, I beleive he could keep it after his ordeal a year ago. Not all foreigners can own land there and you have to be a perfect life record to do so.

Have fun planning and trip.
street is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 05:05 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
Rather than renting a car and driving ourselves around, we opted for Stray Travel. They operate a hop-on, hop-off bus system covering both the north and south islands following prescribed routes with scheduled stops.
OMG!! That is a fantastic option. Very interested.

If you have already posted an account of your trip, would you please provide a link to it?

If not, please consider giving us some more details. I am absolutely delighted that such an option exists.
Old 11-19-2018, 06:47 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by braumeister View Post
OMG!! That is a fantastic option. Very interested.

If you have already posted an account of your trip, would you please provide a link to it?

If not, please consider giving us some more details. I am absolutely delighted that such an option exists.
I probably should have posted an account of our trip to New Zealand we took in January - March, 2017, but it didn't happen.

Would be glad to share some more details, though.

First off, if the OP does end up renting a car, driving around the Auckland and Wellington areas should be avoided. Auckland has some of the worst traffic in the entirety of Australasia not to mention a serious lack of public parking. Wellington isn't much better. And like other British commonwealths, they drive on the left.

For the OP, February will be high season in N.Z. (summer), so reservations for any sort of activities should be made sooner, rather than later.

For DW & I, the 3 months we spent traveling about N.Z. coupled with the experiences we had and people we met was life altering for us.

The Coromandel is one location that should not be missed. Beautiful beaches and stunning scenery. "Stunning scenery" pretty much sums up most of the country! Cape Reinga and the drive on 90 mile beach was another memorable part of our time on the North Island (not to mention sand boarding). Here is a pic of my experience flying down a sand dune.

Screen Shot 2018-11-19 at 6.09.42 PM.jpg

We stayed in a Maori village and upon arrival were greeted with the pōwhiri, a central part of Māori protocol, a ceremony of welcome involving speeches, dancing, singing and hongi that welcomes visitors on to marae - the sacred Maori meeting house. We were taught the Haka - the traditional warrior dance of the Māori.

Took a helicopter ride onto the Franz Josef glacier for an afternoon hike led by a guide and witnessed the glacier calving off a chunk of ice about the size of a single family home!

Did a 25km mountain bike ride in National Park on the South Island. Finished that with DW & I covered in mud!

Hiked a chunk of the Abel Tasman trail and also did some ocean kayaking there where we saw Blue Penguins.

Went to surfing camp at Raglan. I learned how to wipe out spectacularly and frequently (actually got up on my board several times). DW was able to get up on her board and ride a wave in!

We wanted to hike Tongariro pass, but it was closed due to high winds. We did get to hike around the base of Mount Cook. The entire Southern Alps of New Zealand are absolutely beautiful. We had to pick our jaws up off the ground many times.

Milford Sound was surreal. We took a boat ride out on a day with low hanging clouds and mist clinging to the cliffs. Waterfalls cascaded down from recent rains. It was an almost otherworldly experience.

New Zealand was holding their national bagpipe band championships in Nelson while we were staying there with the winner having the privilege of representing their nation in Glasgow to compete for the world title. We watched a parade of bagpipe bands that lasted for several hours.

Kiwis are incredibly friendly, hospitable and we really appreciate their sarcastic sense of humor.

I'm not sure where else on the planet there is as much bio-diversity as one can find on an island land mass the size of New Zealand.

DW & I are leaving for another trip to New Zealand in mid-December and will be staying for a month in the Auckland area, house sitting for a couple we befriended last year during our travels. Can't wait to have some more fish & chips at The Ancient Mariner!
Old 11-19-2018, 09:52 PM   #7
Give me a forum ...

DH and I have been to NZ twice and loved it both times. First off getting there and back--it is a very long plane ride. Not sure where the OP is starting from the first time we went we left from NC and changed planes on LA and kept on flying. It was too much for us and by they time we got to NZ both of us were sick with sinus infections. Second time we went we wised up, stopped in Hawaii coming and going for a few days, much better.

We were in NZ 3 weeks for the first trip and 2 months for the second trip, both times we rented camper vans. Camper vans are a great way to see the entire county--both islands. The camping spots are great, with a camper van you can take your time and see ever thing.

Some highlights of our trips--Auckland sailing, Rotarura, Napier Art Deco, Mitford Sound kayaking, Dunedin, Christchurch,.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2018, 10:26 PM   #8
Give me a forum ...

Location: Spending the Kids Inheritance and living in Chicago
Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
DW & I traveled about New Zealand for 3 months, ...

DW & I were almost always the oldest people by age on the buses. Most of the other passengers were at least 20-30 years younger than us. ...
Your picture of sledding down the sand looks like you are 55 ?

Would that be a close guess, wondering basically the age as it relates to the travel you did.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:28 PM   #9
Give me a forum ...

We have not been there, the flight seems like a killer for us, I dream we would take a cruise at least in 1 direction just to avoid the flying.

Stopovers could be a good idea I never considered.
Old 11-19-2018, 10:39 PM   #10
Recycles dryer sheets

Four of us spent five weeks in NZ starting mid-February 2018. We rented a car and traveled about to prearranged housing. The housing was a mix of AirBNB, motel, and hostel. We hit most of the highlights with a big focus on hiking. Mid-February is their late summer and their kids have gone back to school so there wasn't a problem with crowds. One unexpected crowd was the Chinese New Year crowd. Chinese New Year everything was booked up.

We started in Auckland, rented one car for the North Island, took the ferry across Cook's Straight, rented a second car for the South Island, and returned to Auckland from Christchurch by air.

One tip for the flight is to go to sleep right after they serve dinner and sleep until they serve breakfast. We arrived in Auckland about 9AM. Enjoy.
Old 11-20-2018, 12:56 AM   #11

My son, his wife and our two grand children lived in NZ for 7 years. Our third was born there. We flew over 4 times. The flight is an absolute killer. Here's a trick though; when you check in your luggage, ask the person if there's any seating where there are only 2 of the three seats you can occupy. That way one of you can lay down on the other's lap for part of the trip. Sitting 3 abreast with a stranger is just awful, I don't care who it is, for that long. Bring ear plugs and one of those sleep masks. A memory foam seat cushion too as I swear you sit on metal covered in some sort of cheap fake leather.

If you drink, that helps.

First couple visits, my son lived in Wellington. I didn't think the traffic was bad at all, but then, I'm from California. Visit the zoo, the museum, library, the port and of course the studio where the Hobbit movies were created. We toured Hobbiton as well and that was fun. A pint at the Green Dragon was the finale.

It's windy in Wellington area.

Next couple times over, son lived in Tauranga in the Bay Of Plenty area. It's much more resort-like. Lots of islands, looks like it's straight out of Peter Pan movie. Fishing and surfing is off the charts there as it's much warmer than Wellington (South end of the North Island)

Last time we met them in Christchurch and drove all over the south island. Down to Dunedin (Du ne din). Did some hikes, overnighting in shelters along the way, skiing, helicopter trips to fjords, etc. Very cold on the south island. Nothing between it and Antarctica after all.

At our current ages, 62, I don't think I'd do another flight in coach over there. And that's saying a lot because I spent 7 years in the Air Force. Fortunately, my son and family moved back here within an hour of where we live now a couple years ago.

Prices for everything is off the charts. A burger joint lunch for 4 adults and 2 small kids was over $80. We went at Thanksgiving once. Not celebrated over there of course. A 14 pound turkey cost us over $80. Best meal deals are to go to any harbor area and order fish-n-chips. Tons of food for under $20.

Very hard to understand their version of English until they realize you are a 'Yank'. They talk way too fast and way too much slang. It was like I was in Compton or something, talking to a gangsta rapper. I finally pretended I was extremely hard of hearing. People slow down their speech and shout at you when talking and that worked. Ha!

Gas was over $8 US a gallon, so factor that in when planning a road trip. I'm sure it's more now. Driving on the left isn't hard with the wheel of the car on the right. Just don't get freaked out when you see a dog sitting in what, in our country, would be the driver seat. Ha! My son even had a stick shift, no problem. Roads are very narrow and rarely find more than single lane each direction. The big cities are the exception but once you are out away from downtown, back to one lane. Lots of round-abouts instead of regular stop sign intersections. Drivers do NOT stop for pedestrians unless they are in a legal cross walk. I am not exaggerating here; step off a curb into traffic, and you are fair game. It's like they got a points system and they try to bean you! With single lanes that are very narrow, parking hard to find in metro areas, get a small car. Lots of Japanese imports that you don't see in the USA over there. Many have female voice commands but since they are in Japanese, who knows what you are being told. Buckle your seat belt or you are out of gas I suppose....

We did enjoy the accents our grand kids picked up. Adorable! All candy or sweets are called lollies. When they ask me for a lolly, I could not resist. Made the mistake of pointing out a bum once. My grand daughter blushed and giggled. I asked her what was up and she told me a bum was a persons behind, their bottom. I told her it was a homeless man in the USA. To this day, I point out someone that looks homeless and call out a bum and she laughs and blushes.

Have someone take you to see the glow worms. Bungee jump into the river where I was told bungee jumping originated. Ride horse back across the country. Very little fencing.

There's no such thing as tort law there. No one can sue anyone else for harming them. My son was riding his bike, a car cut in front of him and he went over the hood, busted out a front tooth. Social medicine so no medical fees. All he was able to get was the bike fixed. If he had lost a leg, same thing; no injury claims. Because of that, drunk driving is a problem. Drunks are protected by the courts; their names are not released to the press, no public record.

Sorry for the rambling dialog, I'm just typing it out as I remember things.

I used my credit card for everything. I called the card issuer and told them I was going to NZ and it was all good. I ended up coming back with almost all the converted money I left here with. Easy to get cash from teller machines with the credit card over there. Wifi is pretty fast. Check first to see if your cell phone will work over there. They have some pretty good beers. Lamb is not cheap, even though they are everywhere. Beef, well, forgetaboutit. No Mexican food. At all. Period. We had to bring tortillas after our first visit as treats for our kids.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2018, 04:26 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset View Post
Your picture of sledding down the sand looks like you are 55 ?

Would that be a close guess, wondering basically the age as it relates to the travel you did.
I was 59 at the time of the photo and should have edited my post to indicate that most of the other passengers we traveled with were 30-40 years younger than us.
Old 11-20-2018, 11:42 AM   #13
Give me a forum ...

Just remembered one of the highlight hikes we did both times we were in NZ ---the Kaikoura Peninsula walkway. A fairly easy 3-4 mile walk along cliffs above the sea (in places you can walk down to the beach). Great scenery, many birds, seals etc, not to crowded when we were there (in December). Just magnificent but watch out for the seals, they can be mean. This walk is in the South Island.

We actually enjoyed the South Island better than the North Island (although we enjoyed both). South Island is less crowded, less traffic, more scenic, more wildlife, better hikes.

Regarding the flights. The second time we went we did it right--we flew from NC to Honolulu on the flight out, stayed about 5 days in Honolulu and then went on to NZ. Did the same coming back. This broke up the trip about in half, worked out great for us.

Some one mentioned costs--NZ is very expensive, seems like things are double in price as compared to the U.S. We rented a campervan and that helped keep the expenses down. The van was not terribly expensive and it furnished us our transportation and accommodations all in one package. The van had a small cooking facility so we could buy fresh seafood, veggies, etc and eat much cheaper than a restaurant. We found that campgrounds in NZ are very nice and not too expensive, most have communal kitchens and nice shower facilities. In the campgrounds we met people from all over the world.
harllee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:39 PM   #14
Dryer sheet aficionado

Going to NZ first part of Feb 2019 for a little over a month.
Flying out of SFO directly to Auckland,NZ. 12-13hrs

This will be the longest flight by far I have taken.Hopefully it will not be
too much of a drain. Using economy with window seat.

I will have 3 days in Auckland prior to the main trip with Flying Kiwi tours
using the Ultimate Explorer option.

Then 2 days in Auckland before heading back thru HOUSTON, TX
bks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2018, 01:55 PM   #15

This is a great info thread by many of the posters - thanks so much for sharing this!
Old 11-28-2018, 02:20 AM   #16
Recycles dryer sheets

Another option in New Zealand is train travel. When we were there for a few weeks after a cruise last year, we didn't want to deal with driving on the left, so we took the Northern Explorer train out of Auckland. Very scenic and comfortable. https://www.greatjourneysofnz.co.nz/
NW-Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2018, 05:07 AM   #17

During our travels in NZ, we also used their national bus network. Clean, comfortable coaches.

https://www.intercity.co.nz
Old 11-30-2018, 05:17 PM   #18
Full time employment: Posting here.

With the caveat that although I've been to NZ twice, my last trip was many years ago. Both trips were mostly biking, with some hiking in several national parks, but I also spent time in some of the cities, and visited some unusual sights in various places.

If you're interested in architecture, I highly recommend visiting Napier on the east coast of the North Island. It was destroyed by an major earthquake in 1931 and rebuilt with wonderful Art Deco architecture. I went on a walking tour there which I enjoyed immensely. We also got to go inside some of the Art Deco buildings. I thought there was a much greater concentration of Art Deco in Napier than in Miami Beach. Napier is more upscale than most NZ towns, and a fair number of NZ retirees live there. There are also quite a few vineyards in the region.

In and around Dunedin on the South Island:

I went on a brewery tour at Speigt's Brewery in Dunedin. It was an excellent tour with samples, or course. It was free when I was there, but now there's a charge.

Near Dunedin at the end of the Otago peninsula, there is the world's only "mainland" Royal Albatross colony. You book a visit in Dunedin and online. They only nest where the average wind speed is quite high, and it's fascinating watching them take flight as well as land on the cliffside where their nests are located.

Near the Albatross colony, there's a Blue Penguin colony, as well as another area where there are rare Yellow-Eyed Penguins. I don't think the Blue Penguins were present during the time of year I was there, but I did see the Yellow-Eyed penguins.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Nelson is a pleasant artsy town on the north end of the South Island. It supposedly has more sunshine than most places in the country. Like Napier, it seemed more upscale than most towns in NZ. I think it might be a nice place to be based for several days.

The scenery along the west coast of the South Island is glorious--when the sun's out.

I hiked ("tramped" in NZ parlance) the Routeburn track on the South Island. When I did it, you could do it at your own pace. I think now you have to reserve a group hike where your mountain huts are reserved. In any event, the scenery was outstanding; temperate rainforest at lower altitudes, and alpine scenery in the mountains. I went on quite a few day hikes in other national parks, and another multi-day hike in Tongariro NP on the North Island.

Much of NZ has a great climate for gardens. There was a superb garden in Auckland built in a former quarry. I believe it is Eden Garden. 2 hectares/5 acres. I visited some nice botanic gardens in various places in NZ.

Just after you get off the ferry in Picton (northern South Island), there is a magnificent road along Queen Charlotte Sound. It's along the water with lots of little islands and dense vegetation. It is a bit like the San Juan Islands (WA) or Gulf Islands (BC), though with NZ's more exotic-looking plants. Very much worth the short detour from the main road.

I went whitewater rafting on the South Island on the Shotover River. Part of the raft trip included going through a fairly long tunnel.
anethum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 05:36 PM   #19

Quote:
Much of NZ has a great climate for gardens. There was a superb garden in Auckland built in a former quarry. I believe it is Eden Garden. 2 hectares/5 acres. I visited some nice botanic gardens in various places in NZ.

We went to one in a quarry. It was called Quarry Park. Had a whole section for butterflies. When we made it to the top of the quarry, evidently it was a rather large hill, the view was spectacular to look out over the patchwork farmland around.
skipro33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2018, 11:26 PM   #20
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Reader View Post
Another option in New Zealand is train travel. When we were there for a few weeks after a cruise last year, we didn't want to deal with driving on the left, so we took the Northern Explorer train out of Auckland. Very scenic and comfortable. https://www.greatjourneysofnz.co.nz/
Thanks for the link.
When you took the train, was it straight through, or were you able to make many stops along the way (possibly overnight) ?