Join Early Retirement Today

Old 12-30-2018, 02:06 PM   #381
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian S View Post
Just finished first season of Bosch. It's a good police show but not in the league of say The Wire. Interestingly, at least two major actors from the latter have significant roles in Bosch. The title character is hard to relate to imho but maybe that's intentional.
Harry Bosch is a deeply flawed character and that might be why he comes across as unrelatable. This series has grown on us over time and it one of our favorites. In addition, there seem to be frequent nods to Michael Mann in how the show's producers have chosen to film on location in L.A.

IMO, it would be a heavy lift for any cop series to be in the same league as The Wire. Having said that, we find Bosch to be a rock-solid police procedural series.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 12-30-2018, 02:22 PM   #382
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by candrew View Post
Harry Bosch is a deeply flawed character and that might be why he comes across as unrelatable. This series has grown on us over time and it one of our favorites. In addition, there seem to be frequent nods to Michael Mann in how the show's producers have chosen to film on location in L.A.

IMO, it would be a heavy lift for any cop series to be in the same league as The Wire. Having said that, we find Bosch to be a rock-solid police procedural series.
Is Bosch "deeply flawed" not IMHO. I feel the disconnect is that each series is comprised of at least two or three Bosch novels and it's the novels that show Bosch's true character and compassion. Too much of the real "Harry" is omitted in the TV series.
ivinsfan is offline   Reply With Quote
What new series are you watching?
Old 01-15-2019, 04:32 PM   #383
Give me a forum ...

What new series are you watching?

Valley of the BOOM on National Geographic Network. It’s a docudrama about the early days of the internet, but it kinda starts with the Netscape IPO around 1994 so it feels like a lot is missing.
Old 01-15-2019, 05:13 PM   #384
Give me a forum ...

I'm rewatching season one of Fargo on Hula. I watched it 3 years ago or so when on FX but I thought it was good enough for another visit. Billy Bob Thornton plays an evil part better than most.
Old 01-15-2019, 07:30 PM   #385

On a much lighter note, is anyone else watching The Masked Singer? I am hooked. It's such a crazy, silly thing, and I'm sure I won't know most of the "celebrities" when they finally unmask them all, but somehow it's just what I needed this year.
cathy63 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 01:07 PM   #386
Give me a forum ...

I watched the first 2 episodes of Project Blue Book on the History Channel. Based on investigations made by the Air Force concerning UFOs back in the 50's and 60's. Has a little X-Files air to it. Probably not for everyone.

Old 01-17-2019, 01:52 PM   #387

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I'm rewatching season one of Fargo on Hula. I watched it 3 years ago or so when on FX but I thought it was good enough for another visit. Billy Bob Thornton plays an evil part better than most.
+1

Ralph Waldo Emerson
Rianne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:21 PM   #388

I have been watching "Stranger Things" on Netflix. It reminds me of the old Goonies movie in some ways and is a cross between Goonies and ET. Not too spooky, but just enough to keep your interest.
Old 01-17-2019, 09:45 PM   #389
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dawg52 View Post
I watched the first 2 episodes of Project Blue Book on the History Channel. Based on investigations made by the Air Force concerning UFOs back in the 50's and 60's. Has a little X-Files air to it. Probably not for everyone.

Me too. Excellent so far!
Montecfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2019, 06:12 AM   #390

Not new but we started watching Boston Legal again on Hulu. Hilarious, the major actors have great lines. Kind of a parody of legal shows, as the Orville is to Star Trek.
Old 04-07-2019, 07:45 PM   #391

Just discovered the British TV series "Detectorists"--available at my local library. Good fun!
Birdie Num Nums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2019, 08:36 PM   #392
Give me a forum ...

Second season of Killing Eve now showing on AMC.
Old 04-15-2019, 05:27 AM   #393
Full time employment: Posting here.

Game of Thrones started last night. They’re showing one épisode a week, i think. If you wait until they’re all out, they do a free 1-week subscription... HBO.
Old 04-15-2019, 06:54 AM   #394
Give me a forum ...

Roman Empire on Netflix, series 3 is about Caligula. Excellent.

Traitors is about the post WW2 recruitment of a spy by US intelligence operating in Britain. A young woman is tasked with finding Soviet spies in the British government.
Lsbcal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:15 AM   #395

Series 3 of Unforgotten is now streaming on PBS Passport and airing on Sundays on Masterpiece Mystery. The first two seasons were outstanding IMHO and the third is starting out very good, as well.
GalaxyBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 07:20 AM   #396

Quote:
Originally Posted by ultx View Post
I recently re-watch True Detective 1st season, 2nd is bull ****, aiming to try 3rd one which released in early in 2019 - anyone seen it? Glad to hear any impressions from watching!

Thanks!

Season 3 started out with great promise. But faded miserably down the stretch. I wouldn’t bother. Loved season one.
Old 04-15-2019, 10:41 AM   #397

Quote:
Originally Posted by folivier View Post
Not new but we started watching Boston Legal again on Hulu. Hilarious, the major actors have great lines. Kind of a parody of legal shows, as the Orville is to Star Trek.
Boston Legal came to Amazon last month. Never having seen it, I started watching it. While I was entertained, it seems to be a be of a parody, a bit satirical. Basically, a farce. I doubt that lawyers talk trash and sexually harass each other on a daily basis. Nor do they bed hop with each other and talk about it with colleagues. The show should be named "Glamorous, Sexy Law."

I remember watching and enjoying LA Law in the 80's. That was a bit farcical but had very serious stories as well. Still, looking back now, it seems too yuppie-ish, and concerned itself with first world legal problems. (Think most of Arnie Becker's divorce cases.)

Needing my legal TV scratch to be itched, I've found "The Practice" on Amazon. This is more like it. Gritty, realistic lawyering with moral dilemmas and relateable characters who are not prima donna, wealthy snobs. Really liking it. If you watch, be warned it is not in high definition, but the stories are worth ignoring that fault.

Age is a very high price to pay for maturity.
Qs Laptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 10:59 AM   #398
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeborahB View Post
Game of Thrones started last night. They’re showing one épisode a week, i think. If you wait until they’re all out, they do a free 1-week subscription... HBO.
I feel so left out when people take about GOT. It's like i'm the only person who hasn't seen every episode and knows every character.
aaronc879 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:05 AM   #399
Recycles dryer sheets

I have not seen even one episode.
jcretire77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2019, 11:10 AM   #400
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcretire77 View Post
I have not seen even one episode.
Me either.

I've been watching Chance on Hula. Made it through the 1st season. One to go.
Dawg52 is offline   Reply With Quote