Join Early Retirement Today
Closed Thread

Old 05-18-2019, 04:49 PM   #4161
Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso)
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by W2R View Post
... thoughtlessly leaning on his car horn this morning at 9 AM.

OK, I'm scraping the bottom of the barrel for a pet peeve.
That's a reasonable peeve. My neighbor's dad was visiting, and left to drive home at about 6 AM. He honked the horn goodbye, beep, beep-beep, etc, out the driveway and down the block.

I don't get what people are thinking?

And don't get me started on people whose cars honk when being locked or unlocked in the wee hours.
Join the #1 Early Retirement and Financial Independence Forum Today - It's Totally Free!

Are you planning to be financially independent as early as possible so you can live life on your own terms? Discuss successful investing strategies, asset allocation models, tax strategies and other related topics in our online forum community. Our members range from young folks just starting their journey to financial independence, military retirees and even multimillionaires. No matter where you fit in you'll find that Early-Retirement.org is a great community to join. Best of all it's totally FREE!

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest so you have limited access to our community. Please take the time to register and you will gain a lot of great new features including; the ability to participate in discussions, network with our members, see fewer ads, upload photographs, create a retirement blog, send private messages and so much, much more!

Old 05-18-2019, 04:53 PM   #4162
Give me a forum ...

I find Instagram addictive, but they have purposefully made the interface terrible.

No pause, no rewind. The videos that do have pause have a tiny pause button that usually ends up rewinding to the start. The aspect ratio is usually wrong on those.

There's no indication that the sound is on or off, and it's easily toggled by mistake (tap anywhere). Some videos don't have sound, but you can't tell which.

There's no way to say "Don't show videos that I've recently seen."
Old 05-18-2019, 08:29 PM   #4163
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by splitwdw View Post
ownyourfuture, I can't figure out when people think you shouldn't have something that bothers you, not them, you. That said, I couldn't figure out from your OP what you were peeved about in the ad. Atlantic salmon is a species of salmon, it can arrive at your store fresh or frozen and the ad states that it is farm raised Atlantic salmon. Which part of the ad bothered you because everything stated is true?
+1

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 05-18-2019, 08:32 PM   #4164
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by doneat54 View Post
People who pull into an intersection on a green light in heavy traffic when it is CLEAR that they will be sitting stopped in the middle of the intersection when their light goes red and then blocking the crossing traffic.
If they would start ticketing people for blocking the box then it might be less prevalent.

Retired Jan 2012 at age 56
Old 05-18-2019, 09:07 PM   #4165
gone traveling

I currently have about 5-6 ATVs running down the road near my house...they did this last year also about every weekend, and I refrained from calling the sheriff at 11;05 at night trying to be neighborly.....never again.
Old 05-19-2019, 04:07 AM   #4166
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
People who pull into an intersection on a green light in heavy traffic when it is CLEAR that they will be sitting stopped in the middle of the intersection when their light goes red and then blocking the crossing traffic.
I was taught in driver's ed to pull into the intersection, and look to turn as the light went yellow if I didn't get a break before. Back then, dedicated green arrows were either uncommon or non-existent. If you didn't pull in at a busy intersection, you might never make that turn. Part of the problem is oncoming drivers considering a yellow light an indication to speed up and beat the signal, even if the light turns red as they're going through.

I'm sure I've made somebody in the perpendicular direction have to wait a second or two as I'm at a red light waiting for the last car to zip through. Gee, I'm so terribly sorry to have slowed you down so much. But by the way, if you planned on gunning it as soon as the light turned green, you might get hit by one of those cars running a red.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:13 AM   #4167
Thinks s/he gets paid by the post

Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post
I was taught in driver's ed to pull into the intersection, and look to turn as the light went yellow if I didn't get a break before. Back then, dedicated green arrows were either uncommon or non-existent. If you didn't pull in at a busy intersection, you might never make that turn. Part of the problem is oncoming drivers considering a yellow light an indication to speed up and beat the signal, even if the light turns red as they're going through.

I'm sure I've made somebody in the perpendicular direction have to wait a second or two as I'm at a red light waiting for the last car to zip through. Gee, I'm so terribly sorry to have slowed you down so much. But by the way, if you planned on gunning it as soon as the light turned green, you might get hit by one of those cars running a red.

Yep, agreed.
Old 05-19-2019, 07:49 AM   #4168
Give me a forum ...

The opioid epidemic. Dear lord what did I do other than take my medicine as directed. Now I get 50% of the dose I've always required and get to suffer. For lords sake its 2019 and I'm going around like it's 900AD looking for plants and herbs to help my intolerable pain.

Is red krantom really better than green?
Old 05-19-2019, 07:55 AM   #4169
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunningBum View Post

I believe doneat54 was talking about people blocking traffic in the intersection when they are going straight, and not turning left.

A car turning left still has the right to continue the turn to clear the intersection after the light change. It's completely legal.

On the other hand, a driver intending to go straight has no place to go if the traffic of his lane is stopped, and is now blocking the perpendicular road. He should be strung up by his, er, private parts.

"Those Who Can Make You Believe Absurdities Can Make You Commit Atrocities" - Voltaire (1694-1778)
Old 05-19-2019, 09:19 AM   #4170
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by NW-Bound View Post
I believe doneat54 was talking about people blocking traffic in the intersection when they are going straight, and not turning left.

A car turning left still has the right to continue the turn to clear the intersection after the light change. It's completely legal.

On the other hand, a driver intending to go straight has no place to go if the traffic of his lane is stopped, and is now blocking the perpendicular road. He should be strung up by his, er, private parts.
Ah, gotcha. Yes, that totally make sense. Can easily cause gridlock. Even if it doesn't it's still very bad.
Old 05-21-2019, 07:39 AM   #4171
Give me a forum ...

More and more electronic advertising billboards inside diners, cafes and restaurants. AKA obnoxius light pollution.
Old 05-21-2019, 08:57 AM   #4172

My pet peeves for the day. I don’t like the shift in baseball and we can send a man to the moon but can’t put a muffler on a vacuum cleaner. These drive me nuts.
Old 05-23-2019, 05:52 PM   #4173

Clueless boaters. Tis the weekend. Nearly every memorial day weekend we rescue someone who really should know better. And then there are the people who tow skiers or kids in a tube much too close to our pier for safety. Also they wave as they go by, making a huge wake and unnecessarily damaging our pier. [emoji35]

The river is 1/4 mile wide in front of our camp- plenty of room for everyone. And then there is dumb and drunk- there will be plenty of that this weekend too.
Old 05-23-2019, 10:16 PM   #4174
Give me a forum ...

It has been said before, but I will say it again...

Stupid grocery prices...

I went to get some salsa as it was on sale.. so I look and there is a 75 cent off coupon... heck yea!!! Then I look at the price... the regular price for a 16 oz. is $1.75, so a discounted price of $1.00... but then I see the jar I normally buy which is the 24 oz. one at full price of $1.23... or cheaper than the smaller one per oz. and NOT on sale...

Then went to buy a bag of candy... they have a 40 oz bag. Well, not any more.. it is now 36.something ozs at the same price of the 40 oz...
Old 05-24-2019, 05:14 AM   #4175

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas Proud View Post

Stupid grocery prices...

I went to get some salsa as it was on sale.. so I look and there is a 75 cent off coupon... heck yea!!! Then I look at the price... the regular price for a 16 oz. is $1.75, so a discounted price of $1.00... but then I see the jar I normally buy which is the 24 oz. one at full price of $1.23... or cheaper than the smaller one per oz. and NOT on sale...

Then went to buy a bag of candy... they have a 40 oz bag. Well, not any more.. it is now 36.something ozs at the same price of the 40 oz...
+1..... And how about the large 'economy' size that turns out to be *more* expensive per ounce than the small size? Just had this happen with peanut butter. I bought 3 small ones instead of the big one. I think most people will assume the big one is cheaper per ounce, and not bother, or have the time, to check, and thereby get ripped off.
Old 05-24-2019, 07:40 AM   #4176
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Galt III View Post
+1..... And how about the large 'economy' size that turns out to be *more* expensive per ounce than the small size? Just had this happen with peanut butter. I bought 3 small ones instead of the big one. I think most people will assume the big one is cheaper per ounce, and not bother, or have the time, to check, and thereby get ripped off.

Agreed, which is why I am trying to teach my DD and get upset at DW at times... it is sometimes really easy to check as they have a price per oz or something like that on the sticker....
Old 05-24-2019, 09:40 AM   #4177
Give me a forum ...

Quote:

Stupid grocery prices...

The candy is a good thing, no one needs a 40oz bag of candy...And if they sell in a 36 oz bag it doesn't meet my definition of candy anyway...
Old 05-24-2019, 08:38 PM   #4178
Give me a forum ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
The candy is a good thing, no one needs a 40oz bag of candy...And if they sell in a 36 oz bag it doesn't meet my definition of candy anyway...

Why? It is the same candy as they sell in the 8oz 12oz 24 or so oz... just more in the bag... and cheaper per oz...

Noticed today they raised the price by $1 but now have a $2 off coupon.... so you think you are getting a good deal until that coupon runs out and you now have to pay the new higher price!!
Old 05-24-2019, 10:48 PM   #4179

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by ivinsfan View Post
The candy is a good thing, no one needs a 40oz bag of candy...
Hey, a little empathy here, ivinsfan...
I feel Texas Proud's pain. Went to the grocery store and saw that the 40 oz bag of Hershey's Kisses were on clearance (25% off) and were destined to never show up again. I, with the duchess of redduck, bought 5 of the 6 bags that were left. Couldn't reach the 6th bag way back on the top shelf. The duchess eats 2 kisses a night, I don't eat more than 4. Should last a while. But after they're gone, then what
Old 05-25-2019, 09:26 AM   #4180
Full time employment: Posting here.

Since we recently moved we have started grocery shopping at a Winn Dixie. I am already noticing a tendency that more than a few of the advertised "special sale price" items are out of stock, even when we arrive mid morning of the first day of the sale. It seems the store does not necessarily anticipate increased sales volume. Either that or it is just a ploy to draw you into the store.

I am getting a little tired of having to go to customer service for a rain check about every two out of three visits to the store. Customer service usually has a much longer line than the check out lines.
Closed Thread