Stable Value Fund Rates

jazz4cash

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
For those with access to a SVF, what's the interest rate ?

The 1yr return on my fund is 1.7% (eff 12/31/16). It bottomed out at 1.62 last year and rose a bit from there.

Access to this fund is one reason I keep this 401k from a former employer open in retirement. In looking at the plan details, it appears I can still roll funds into the fund from an IRA. I plan to test the rollover feature in a few months.

I did same last year, rolled over a portion to IRA and left behind funds for Stable Value access, paying 2.35% for 1yr @ 12/31.

I have 3. Wells Fargo is 1.7%. ATT is 2.3%. And IBM is 2.8%. And these are all net of any fees, and "earnings" that get deducted or added during the year.

Last edited:
Net of fees the 2016 return on my SVF was 1.76%

ours is with trp and returned about 2% from 10/2015 to 9/2016

Interesting article on such funds: https://www.thestreet.com/story/130...ance-companies-hope-you-learn-more-about.html

I don't know if it's in the same category but I have an old contributory retirement plan (State of Arizona) with VALIC. It's worth about $100K today and I have it all invested in their "Fixed Account Plus" option which has had a fixed interest rate of 4.5% for over a decade. A few years back as I was consolidating plans, I opted to keep this one as there was nothing comparable I could get anywhere else. It will serve as my rainy day fund unless and until interest rates rise greatly!

The 1yr return on my fund is 1.7% (eff 12/31/16). It bottomed out at 1.62 last year and rose a bit from there.

Access to this fund is one reason I keep this 401k from a former employer open in retirement. In looking at the plan details, it appears I can still roll funds into the fund from an IRA. I plan to test the rollover feature in a few months.
. 2.0 First qtr of 2017

I just checked mine. The crediting rate is 1.77% as of Nov 2016.

Interesting article on such funds: https://www.thestreet.com/story/130...ance-companies-hope-you-learn-more-about.html

I don't know if it's in the same category but I have an old contributory retirement plan (State of Arizona) with VALIC. It's worth about $100K today and I have it all invested in their "Fixed Account Plus" option which has had a fixed interest rate of 4.5% for over a decade. A few years back as I was consolidating plans, I opted to keep this one as there was nothing comparable I could get anywhere else. It will serve as my rainy day fund unless and until interest rates rise greatly!
4.5% is a great rate. If interest rate rise significantly, what will be investment of choice?

Stable value

SVfs pay nice yields. What kind of fees are you guys paying on those investments?

Mickeyed: my fee is 0.29 I like using my Stable Value Fund for my bond component. Our SV fund averaged 2.22 % last year.

Certain renditions of TIAA Traditional Annuity can be considered a SVF since they are fully liquid. Mine is paying 3.0%. Less liquid versions are paying above 4.5% for some folks, but they were paying those rates when bonds were paying higher rates, so there was no free lunch.

Access to this fund is one reason I keep this 401k from a former employer open in retirement.

I also kept my old 401K for access to the SVF. Rate is 1.94%.

Last edited:
My older 401k performance was 1.66% for year 2016.
That return is net of 0.15 - 0.35% fund assets fee.
90% of holdings was Invesco Stable Value Portfolio 10-07-25.

For 2016 in Colorado 529 Plan: 2.54%
For 2017 in Colorado 529 Plan: 2.59%

Moved all 529 plan monies for my two boys into the Stable Value Fund in 2016 as one started college Sep 2016, his brother starts Sep 2017. Decided did not want the potential volatility of the market this close to need to withdraw.

Looks like my rate is trailing the pack. Guess I'll reconsider rolling funds into this plan and maybe stick with longer maturity CD ladder.

I have a Fidelity 401k that has one and it was 1.34% for last year. It is low enough that I have not put anything into it.

My Megacorp 401K SVF rate was 3.0% last year.

Back
Top Bottom