5 Reasons Installing Fewer Apps Helps You Stay Safe

Midpack

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I suspect I’m preaching to the choir here, but we’ve made it a practice to download only those desktop-laptop-tablet-smartphone apps that are really beneficial, knowing we’re exposing ourselves to more tracking/data mining with each one. And we delete any if they stop being useful. I just got the “opportunity” to download a hotel app to expedite check-in with a digital key. :nonono:

I do know people including seniors who download almost every app they’re asked to. And never remove any. :confused:
  1. You Have a Smaller Attack Surface
  2. You Expose Yourself to Less Tracking
  3. Fewer Accounts That Can Be Compromised
  4. Less Software to Keep Up-to-Date
  5. Reduced Risk of Installing Malware
https://www.makeuseof.com/why-installing-less-software-better-security/

Last edited:
Agreed! Unfortunately, with Windows they leave artifacts in the registry and who knows where else. No utility I know of really cleans them all out.

It irks me to no end that some things are mobile app only, vs. having a regular site instead. Or when I "need" a store's app for their discount vs. say an email sign up. Um no, I don't, and I don't need this purchase.

For example, google has "home" to manage your smart devices. I can turn my outside lights on an off - but (last I checked) I cannot do this via my PC, only via the apps on my phone/tablet. Annoying.

I always disable location tracking and notifications on all apps, unless, like Maps, they need it to function, in which case I have them set to only have access when in use. Or an airline app when I'm actually travelling for notifications about my flight.

But I'm well past the point where I loathe anything new that requires an app.

It irks me to no end that some things are mobile app only, vs. having a regular site instead. Or when I "need" a store's app for their discount vs. say an email sign up. Um no, I don't, and I don't need this purchase.
That's where we're at. We've yet to use a store app for a discount. We get tracked enough as it is.

Same goes for a retail location that will either text you a receipt, email you a receipt, or print one out. I always print one out. I don't need to give my phone number or email address to yet another business.

Last edited:
That's where we're at. We've yet to use a store app for a discount. We get tracked enough as it is.

Same goes for a retail location that will either text you a receipt, email you a receipt, or print one out. I always print one out. I don't need to give my phone number or email address to yet another business.

agree but for those online occasions where I must I have created a junk email address for those occasions. 'they' can spam that address to their heart's content. :cool:

That's a great list of reasons. Thank you. I have practiced that philosophy for a long time now. Everybody wants me to put an app on for this store or that and I just figure out a way to do it all within their web application.
Just about everything can be worked from a web interface.

agree but for those online occasions where I must I have created a junk email address for those occasions. 'they' can spam that address to their heart's content. :cool:

We all need an app that gives the trackers so much false information that it becomes useless and sellers come to the realization that they are paying for useless lists.
And why do resellers think right after I bought a product,
say a drill bit or a voltmeter, that I'm in the market for what I just bought. :mad:

Back
Top Bottom