55 Days--almost enough time to slowly drive and hike around New Zealand.

2017ish

Thinks s/he gets paid by the post
Wow. What a trip.

55 days, including 5400 miles in a 53 day car rental! We did a rough figure 8 on both the North and South Islands, hitting m/l the southernmost and northernmost points. Route and stops shown here: Our route between lodgings

Wine tastings? Oh yeah! We tasted a bit more than 300 wines. We actually don’t really like the Marlborough sauvignon blancs for which the country is renowned, but there is so much more! The wines we enjoyed the most were from wine regions that are under the USA radar—to the extent we didn’t even know that some of them existed prior to planning this trip (Nelson, North Canterbury, and especially Martinborough.) Luckily, many of the small wineries have banded together to form a wine collective that jointly handles the legal and logistics hurdles involved in shipping to our door in the USA.

PBJ lunches? To the point of (figurative) nausea—but that offset the cost of the wine tastings (hah!).

DW planned and plotted it out. In addition to the week in Fiji before, and another after, she reserved 22 AirBnBs, 1 youth hostel, and a wilderness lodge. From talking to other travelers, the advance reservations made a big difference, particularly in the first few weeks, which were still close to the high tourism season.

The day hiking is quite good, although not quite up to the standards/challenges of Patagonia (we did not do any of the renowned multiday hikes, which are another thing entirely).

The restaurants/food were better than we expected, particularly in the small towns that we focused upon. Probably the best meal of the trip was in Nelson, of all places—at a place, Le Plonc, that has refused to be reviewed by the primary NZ restaurant reviewers and actually asked us how in the world we heard of them!

DW did 20 posts on her ad-free photography/travel personal blog (beginning at First NZ post) on this trip, so it is hard to summarize in a single post. But, strolling through impressive 170 year old redwoods(!) that were planted to advance the timber industry, as well as the massive, 1000+ year-old native Kauri trees (second only to the Redwoods in size), hiking in Mt. Cook National Park, experiencing the rainy forests and bays of Milford Sound, seeing endemic penguins and other birds up close and personal, and driving/hiking through Northland are great experiences.

Then, at the end of the trip, we spent 2 days in the CBD of Auckland, which is another world entirely. (Think, Northland and Western South Island ~ East Tennessee/UP of Michigan, while Auckland is a combination of NYC and SFO.)

The flora and fauna are quite distinct from North America (despite the imported trees, deer, and wild turkeys!), driving is easy (albeit on the other side of the road than the USA, and with traffic circles in lieu of stop signs/lights), the language is a close version of our English, the people are very personable, and the grocery stores are amazingly similar to our own.

An eye-opening trip that is also comfortable to experience. We’d recommend it to almost everyone. (55 days was almost enough time—but we wish we’d have allotted a few more days so that we could have worked around weather related cancellations. In particular, we missed the sperm whales at Kaikoura due to high winds off-shore.)

Any questions, I’ll be happy to answer. Again, we’ll be recommending this type of a NZ trip to our friends. Moreover, although we didn't do it this way, if you can sleep well in an RV/Campervan, or are into long motorcycle or bicycle trips, this would be a destination right up your alley.

Last edited:
We did a similar tour for 5 weeks in Feb/March 2020. just before covid lockdowns. We would go back in a minute if not for DH's walking problems (spinal issues + CMT/HMSN) and will if he improves.

Wonderful place to visit- we did a much shorter version with Tauck this March, then rented a car when the tour ended and drove to Tongariro to do some fly fishing. Really enjoyed New Zealand and my wife loved the Marlborough Sav. Blancs. We certainly didn't see as much as 2017ish above but all in all a great place. I guess my favorite location was Queenstown - so much to do. I wish we had more time there.

Wonderful place to visit- we did a much shorter version with Tauck this March, then rented a car when the tour ended and drove to Tongariro to do some fly fishing. Really enjoyed New Zealand and my wife loved the Marlborough Sav. Blancs. We certainly didn't see as much as 2017ish above but all in all a great place. I guess my favorite location was Queenstown - so much to do. I wish we had more time there.
Your wife is definitely in the majority with her wine preference; we felt a little weird in preferring the country's Riesling, Pinot Gris, and Syrah wines. (The Central Otago Pinot Noirs, OTOH, are beautiful and needed no apologies!)

My wife actually avoided Queenstown in her planning out of fear that it was too much the crowded adventure tourism headquarters for the region. (Did the skydiving in Franz Joseph instead.) Nearby Wanaka, where we stayed on two separate occasions, was our favorite. Same region and, she guessed, a little bit slower paced. As it was, we drove right by Queenstown several times. May have been easier to stay there!

Just wow!

We drink mostly reds but we do love Sancerre (Sauvignon Blanc from a town in the Loire Valley France) and we did eventually try the Marlborough Sauvignon Blanc but it doesn’t come close IMO.

It has been a few years since DH & I drove a camper around New Zealand but what was memorable (in addition to seeing the countryside) were the driving habits of the locals. Roads were narrow and drivers were fast and fearless. We happened to share a campsite with a NZ safety professional. He said that Japan required car owners to replace their vehicles frequently (emissions) so NZ residents purchased them but the cars were small and overpowered for their roads.

Sounds like a wonderful, memorable trip. Good for you!

It has been a few years since DH & I drove a camper around New Zealand but what was memorable (in addition to seeing the countryside) were the driving habits of the locals. Roads were narrow and drivers were fast and fearless. We happened to share a campsite with a NZ safety professional. He said that Japan required car owners to replace their vehicles frequently (emissions) so NZ residents purchased them but the cars were small and overpowered for their roads.
Interesting. We thought the drivers were pretty good as a whole. But, then again, we were mainly in rural areas.

We did the campervan thing in Australia and NZ South Island. We had about 10 days in each location. It was incredible.

We're actually talking about longer stays in Europe. Maybe 2 months at a time.

Wow, great trip! Thanks for sharing the map & the blog (your wife's writing and photos are fantastic). We did a shorter 2-week trip in Feb 2020 and highlights for us were the multi-day Milford Track, the town of Wanaka, seeing the Kea Parrots at Arthurs Pass, and the town of Hahei on the Coromandel Peninsula. Would love to go back someday and do a similar long-drive route to yours, as there was a lot we had to skip due to time constraints (back then DH wasn't retired yet & had limited vacation time). Highly recommend self-driving -- the roads are generally well-maintained and it was really easy and non-congested outside the main cities.

Wow! That's an amazing trip. Thanks for sharing.

Back
Top Bottom