55yo - FIRE'd Update

ItsTime

Dryer sheet aficionado
Hello,

With our two year anniversary of being FIRE'd this past month, I wanted to share our experience in the event it provides any help to others. This post is also a reflection of the insights I have learned from this supportive and highly informative community.

Background
55yo / DW 53yo - 2 Kids with one entering college this fall and the other having graduated college last year and off the payroll :)

I left my 50+ hours a/week job at the end of December 2021 but have been working three days a month just as a transitionary step. I did have some anxiety of not receiving a bi-weekly W2 paycheck after 30 years and still having some work related income was beneficial in this regard.

Fast forward to today, we are preparing to focus more on volunteering and live off our portfolio until social security becomes an option.

Three takeaways from our journey:
• Investment Policy Statement (IPS)
○ Having our plan documented provides a tremendous sense of focus and mitigates any impetuous decision making during the market up and downs

• Part Time Work
○ Working part time for the past few years significantly reduced our anxiety during the FIRE transition and allowed us to test our estimated annual budgets and spending with less worry

• Three Year Cash Moat
○ For us, having the security of three years cash provides a psychological benefit and allows us to sleep at night. Currently using a three year CD ladder for the cash.

For 2024, our withdrawal rate is targeted at 2.40% but we are comfortable moving up to 3%+ if desired.

Overall, our FIRE experience has been everything and more! We could not have made the jump without the insights provided via this community so "Thank You" to all!

Congratulations, it sounds like your plan is working very well for you!

Please keep posting updates. We love success stories like yours. Well done!

With your age/kid situation very similar to mine (though I haven't officially retired) , I would be curious to know what level of retirement savings/spending you are experiencing- I understand if you aren't comfortable offering this.

As a reference point,

We are ~ 1.3M
with an annual spend of $84K (30K of which is the dang college kid)
Stopping today with those numbers would be a 6.4% WR i think. Not comfortable with that.

Regards
PWF

With your age/kid situation very similar to mine (though I haven't officially retired) , I would be curious to know what level of retirement savings/spending you are experiencing- I understand if you aren't comfortable offering this.

As a reference point,

We are ~ 1.3M
Stopping today with those numbers would be a 6.4% WR i think. Not comfortable with that.

Regards
PWF

But I assume at least SS is still in the wings, waiting for you? Nothing wrong in principal to spend down your stash a bit in anticipation of SS (or maybe pension or annuity, etc.) It just makes it more "interesting" as you potentially see the stash value stagnate or even drop a bit. We certainly spent a lot more of the stash in our "youth" about 58 to about 62 when DW went on SS. YMMV

Koolau - yes that is correct, I haven't put in any SS in the WR above. Running firecalc with SS at 62 for me, 65 for wife..we should be ok if we can get our spend down to around 55K per year...which shouldn't be too hard as we would be past the college years (which is 36% of our spending currently!)

As a reference point,

We are ~ 1.3M

Regards
PWF

We are at roughly $5M with annual spending of $96K. College for our last kid is funded via a 529 plan which I do not include in our portfolio total (and yes, dang expensive :) )

Our goal was to be at a WR in the 3% range before pulling the plug on the full-time work. Even though we hit that goal, having some part time income really helped in working through mental aspect of leaving the full time gig for the first few years.

Back
Top Bottom