7-19 (-900) points: Holding? Selling? Buying?

I enjoy (Jim) Cramer, but he too gets caught up in the micro-analysis of hourly moves in prices to create frame and headlines. We might be hitting a flat spot, but lots of reasons to “BUY, BUY, BUY!”.

Made 2%+ on my “cash” in the last 24 hours. While too risky for some, sure addresses my lack of patience or desire to chase 0.75% annual cd’s, etc.

Admittedly in the last 20 years, I always SOLD during a selloff out of fear and when I look back, had I just IGNORED the selloffs and crash every single time - I'd have much more money today.

Curious, what are y'all doing today?

You answered your own question. Read "Your Money and Your Brain" by Jason Zweig.

Yes -- the market is crashing! It is all the way down to where it was 4 weeks ago! Aaagh! :cool:

+1

I'm glad someone gets an idea of what's behind market moves from the financial news.... Even if I just watch one channel, after a few hours I have several opinions to choose from. I've finally figured out if these guys (and gals) really knew what they were taking about, they wouldn't be working for a living. .

FWIW, Becky Quick and Courtney Reagan of CNBC have a NW of about $10MM each. Cramer has a NW of about $100MM.

I suspect they're working 'for a living' for the same reason they're worth that much money; there's a certain drive that some people have that goes beyond money.

FWIW, Becky Quick and Courtney Reagan of CNBC have a NW of about $10MM each. Cramer has a NW of about $100MM.

I suspect they're working 'for a living' for the same reason they're worth that much money; there's a certain drive that some people have that goes beyond money.
Could be... I certainly don't watch CNBC at all, so I wouldn't know... Could be other not so obvious reasons too.

And, just like that, Monday's drop has become a non-event.

Waiting for the"Oops, we goofed, Monday's short term drop was no reason to panic" financial headlines... :LOL:

Waiting for the"Oops, we goofed, Monday's short term drop was no reason to panic" financial headlines... :LOL:
How many times have we seen this in the past year or so? I've been lucky so far placing my bets. Usually only takes a few days to drop and bounce. Of course one of these day it will be different so as they say, past performance is no guarantee of future results. I made a tidy sum on XOM, CVX and GE in the past few days.

Last edited:

Well, I got a nice $10k offset to some capital gains by tax loss harvesting, and the stocks I bought came back nicely (BA, LEG, MCD).

+1

I bought puts when she posted that.

I sold out-of-the-money puts, and ended up having to buy some shares already on Fri 7/16. So, on Mon 7/19, I only did a small trade to swap an ETF that had not been beaten down bad for one that was.

Actually, on Mon 7/19, my stocks were down less than the market. The reason was that their sectors were already beaten black-and-blue the week before, and were spared more beating on that day.

As a market watcher, I find it's fun to see the firing squad take different sectors out to execute each day. They call it "sector rotation".

PS. Today, my stocks altogether went up 3.73%. Yes, it's about time. What went down the most rebounds the strongest.

Last edited:

Well with Cramer, it is the love of all the attention he craves and seeks, I suppose is a big part of it.

How many times have we seen this in the past year or so? I've been lucky so far placing my bets. Usually only takes a few days to drop and bounce. Of course one of these day it will be different so as they say, past performance is no guarantee of future results. I made a tidy sum on XOM, CVX and GE in the past few days.

Well, I got a nice $10k offset to some capital gains by tax loss harvesting, and the stocks I bought came back nicely (BA, LEG, MCD).

These are examples of why the Monday headlines should have been more along the lines of "Dow Drops 700+ points, Here are the Opportunities This Presents!"

These are examples of why the Monday headlines should have been more along the lines of "Dow Drops 700+ points, Here are the Opportunities This Presents!"
Actually one of the guest on FOX business news on Monday made such comments... While most were saying to hold on, don't panic and don't sell. Most were also saying to wait to buy (anticipating) bigger drops. But one guy said he was buying this dip... Sooner or later I'm going to take a hit for an extended period of time playing this game, but hopefully I'll be way ahead when it comes.

Last edited:
Well with Cramer, it is the love of all the attention he craves and seeks, I suppose is a big part of it.

I used to watch CNBC, but stopped watching TV quite a few years ago, and I mean everything on TV.

Just looked on the Web, and learned that Cramer makes $5 million/year with CNBC. He also makes money from TheStreet.com, which he owns.

Info on the Web said Betty Quick makes $3 million/year.

Last edited:
On the contrary, I took the dip as an opportunity to grow my holdings of two prominent cruise ship companies, and have seen them go up 18% in 48 hours since that dip. Sweet buying opportunity based on yet more COVID fear!

Two rules associated with this new government administration:

Don't fight the FED.

Buy the Dip.

:cool:
+1

But you may want to add the letter (s) to the end of the word dip. I suspect there will be many.

Last edited:
+1

But you may want to add the letter (s) to the end of the word dip. I suspect there will be many.

Plus methinks the don't fight the Fed concept started before 2021......

Two rules associated with this new government administration:

Don't fight the FED.

Buy the Dip.

:cool:

Again, in order for people having no earned income to buy the dip, they have to sell the peak. :cool:

Next time, whenever you see the Wh*** post, rush to your keyboard and hit "sell, sell, sell".

The volatility the past couple years has really been trader friendly. I keep most of my AA invested for long-haul, but given the long bull run and low interest rates have more cash than normal. I've made trades on the dips. I never catch the low and usually sell before the high to get back to safety.

I put 1/2 of the cash to work late Monday. Most in UAA that made nearly 10% realized with sale this morning. Only downside is it adds to tax bill! Happy to pay my fair share.

Its awesome that all the years of earning and saving payoff being able to capitalize on these opportunities.

On the contrary, I took the dip as an opportunity to grow my holdings of two prominent cruise ship companies, and have seen them go up 18% in 48 hours since that dip. Sweet buying opportunity based on yet more COVID fear!

That does seem rather astute. I'm sure they were down more than the market.

I don't own them, but there are trading opportunities.

Now I wish I had bought more SNAP, up 22 percent today on earnings. I do have a large position since it is growing so much.

Seemed to drag along TTD, ROKU, PINS, FB and ETSY all of which I own. Nice day.

I watch the market everyday. I watch it go up, I watch it go down, in the long run it always goes up. Any time you have doubts go to Yahoo finance, put in VOO or VTI bring up the graph. Put in since inception and look at the graph. There have been many, many corrections (the sky is falling) the talking heads on tv will yell that every single week. Ignore them. Buy the total market and know that in the end, it will always go up.

In the overall scheme of things, that little 7/19 stock market drop will probably be swept under the rug and forgotten in time. Just for kicks, here's a few of my data points for around that timeframe:
7/12: +11.5% YTD
7/14: +10.8% YTD
7/19: +8.2% YTD
7/20: +10.1% YTD
7/21: +11.0% YTD
7/22: +11.2% YTD
7/23: +12.2% YTD

I don't know why I didn't keep the data points for 7/13, 7/15, or 7/16. Most likely, none of them were interesting enough to me. I hit a new high on 7/12, so that's why I kept that one. I probably kept 7/14 simply because I felt like it that day. But none of the others were most likely significant enough...probably too close to the other data points I kept.

Back
Top Bottom