8 Foods Worth Buying Frozen

Except for the squash, I'd usually eat all of these (even the peas) fresh and in salads. I cannot imagine wanting to go near a frozen carrot. To each their own.

I think for the most part, the frozen stuff is good-to-excellent for cooking, and some is not so good for fresh (berries and some other fruits an exception).

I also probably would not want a frozen carrot in a salad, but cooking with them should be fine. We use lots of fresh red peppers, but DW buys frozen for casseroles and such. Frozen corn is very good as a side dish, but doesn't compare with fresh on-the-cob.

-ERD50

I tried some frozen veggies since this topic started. I will be going back to fresh ones as soon as they run out.

How to find decent brand of frozen salmon? I did buy a bag of it: we ate about a half-piece each and threw out the rest of the bag.

For frozen salmon we buy Kirkland brand from Costco and found it to be fairly good. It's farm raised in Canada (I think) and they are individually packaged in reasonable size individual portions. Wild is supposed to be healthier but I haven't seen it in my area frozen.

Lightly dredged in corn starch and pan fried in a small amount of extra virgin olive oil and real butter. Quick and easy. Served with a few capers and a wedge of lemon - as good as anything I have ordered at a restaurant.

Cheers!

For me, one advantage of frozen is you can use just a little bit of it (exactly the amount you want) and have the veggies you want in your dish. Maybe you want an omelet with onions and peppers among other things. Well, you can dump an ounce or two of onion/pepper frozen veg into the pan, saute 2 mins, then throw the eggs on top. (Almost) instant veggie omelet, and texture of vegs will be very close to using fresh (unless you like barely cooked vegs).

I use frozen peas all the time in small quantities to get a little more veg into dishes like fried rice, lo mein, soups, stir fry, even pasta sauces. The kids even fight over who gets the sweet peas!

I think if I never used frozen vegs, I would use less vegs overall. I wouldn't buy a whole pepper (or three) or a whole bunch of broccoli if I wanted just 1/4 or so of it, and you can't leave fresh vegs in your fridge to have on hand whenever you want to throw stuff together (except onions - they seem to keep months in the fridge). Taste or texture isn't quite as good all the time as fresh vegs, but it's good enough for me. And beats the alternative of not eating vegs, or going out to eat because "there's nothing to eat in the fridge".

We've also been enjoying frozen Brussels sprouts for the past few years. Never a disappointment with them.

I use frozen veggies a lot, usually broccoli, cauliflower, spinach, and occasionally corn. I have mixed feelings about frozen green beans, but if you season them enough they are okay. Definitely have to avoid cooking them to mush... Easy for one guy, one serving; a quick 2-3 minute nuke, and done.

Costco has a frozen wild Alaskan salmon that is good. I sometimes buy the big bag-o'-chicken frozen, as well.

Recently bought a bag of mixed frozen fruit from Wallyworld, which was apparently picked at peak starch level, for a PWO (post workout) shake of milk, protein powder, and a scoop of fruit...

I've been surprised at the range of fresh foods available for semi-reasonable prices here in Paradise - mostly at Costco. Unfortunately, most berries are not among those. I'm guessing that they must be flown in. So frozen is the only practical way to go.

Honestly, we haven't worried as much about the pure "nutrition" or even the fresh taste as we have about availability of the things we love. While frozen berries may not be quite a good as fresh in a fruit salad or over cereal, they are better than NO berries for these (and other) uses. YMMV

I've been surprised at the range of fresh foods available for semi-reasonable prices here in Paradise - mostly at Costco. Unfortunately, most berries are not among those. I'm guessing that they must be flown in. So frozen is the only practical way to go.

Honestly, we haven't worried as much about the pure "nutrition" or even the fresh taste as we have about availability of the things we love. While frozen berries may not be quite a good as fresh in a fruit salad or over cereal, they are better than NO berries for these (and other) uses. YMMV
If I could get fresh strawberry papayas on a regular basis, I think I could live with frozen berries! ;)

I planted 7 blueberry bushes in containers last year and it looks like we will get a few berries in about a month. They are great frozen. Don't wash them and they freeze like little marbles. Easy to chew but not hard like an ice cube.

Back
Top Bottom