A Fabric Could Neutralize Coronaviruses

Status
Not open for further replies.

easysurfer

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
This article caught my attention today.

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news...tralize-coronaviruses-electricity/5286542002/

As Robin might say to Batman... "Holy fabric Batman!!

(The video in the article gives bit more detail)

There’s reason to be skeptical of any internet post claiming something kills the coronavirus.

Facebook in particular can be a deluge of home remedies that range from unproven to downright dangerous.

So you’d be forgiven for raising your eyebrows if you came across an Indianapolis Monthly article shared widely on Facebook saying that researchers have found a “fabric that kills coronaviruses.”
But this claim has science behind it — preliminary though it may be. Researchers discovered that low-level electric fields can render the coronavirus unable to infect a host after just a minute of exposure to the field.

Here’s what we know about this product.
The concept — called electroceutical fabric — was developed several years ago by Chandan Sen, now the director of the Indiana Center for Regenerative Medicine and Engineering at the Indiana University School of Medicine. While working at Ohio State University in 2017, he created an electrically based antimicrobial wound dressing that has been approved by the FDA and sold by Vomaris under the name Procella.

Last edited:
I was thinking this would be a great face mask material, until I read "after just a minute of exposure to the field"

One breath every minute and I won't get the virus as I'm dead :D

Now, I didn't see that minute exposure part in the same way. I don't see this as you have to hold your breath for a minute :).

I read that as when the virus gets exposed to the mask for a minute, it gets neutralized. In otherwords, viruses leaving the mouth of the one who is infected get "zapped" so the masks work like a bug zapper.

Now, I didn't see that minute exposure part in the same way. I don't see this as you have to hold your breath for a minute :).

I read that as when the virus gets exposed to the mask for a minute, it gets neutralized. In otherwords, viruses leaving the mouth of the one who is infected get "zapped" so the masks work like a bug zapper.

Yes, it still seems to rely on the mask trapping the virus. But then it kills it within a minute, avoiding further spreading. From the article:
when healthcare workers remove their facemasks, which have little or no ability to kill viruses, the coronavirus can remain on the outside and people can still spread infection. A mask that kills the novel coronavirus on contact would pose no such risk.

-ERD50

Next someone will invent a battery operated high speed virus zapping mask. A side job for Elon?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom