A Year Into Early Retirement; Still More Questions than Solutions

... One thing I would never do is hire a firm that requires me to move my investments to their brokerage rather than advise me how to work into mine (be it Fidelity, Vanguard or Schwab). ...
Be a little careful with this. Agreed one does not want to transfer securities to a firm controlled by the advisor (Bernie Madoff, for example), but it is very common for shops to use Fido or Schwab as custodians. Also another big one, LPL (https://www.lpl.com/),that caters to advisors. If an advisor is using Schwab, for example, they are not going to be willing to manage money at Fido. The custodians provide a lot of consolidated reporting and services to advisors, something the advisor needs.

... Otherwise they can hold you hostage by making it difficult/expensive to transfer back to your preferred brokerage if you want to leave. Empower (Personal Capital) wanted me to do they when I interviewed them. And since they would have a basket of their own (possibly proprietary/undisclosed) securities in my taxable account, they said I would have to liquidate my assets with them, get a check and reinvest somewhere else if I left (I had to pull that info out of them). That would mean a big tax hit if you're with them for a while and try to leave
Yes. A good list of prohibited investments is part of a good Investment Policy Statement. Here's an example from an IPS I helped develop:

Prohibited investments are as follows:

• Individual Commodities, Commodity Funds, and Commodity Options
• Hedge Funds and other “alternative” investments except REITs
• Unregistered or restricted stock
• Initial public offerings (must have two year trading history)
• Security Options (Puts and Calls)
• Limited Partnerships except publicly-traded MLPs
• Venture Capital
• Direct Investment in Real Estate
• Annuities
• Illiquid Investments
• Investments that cannot be readily valued
• Investments that cannot be readily transferred between custodians

Last edited:
• Investments that cannot be readily transferred between custodians
This would prevent one from using the Fidelity ZERO FEE funds, which are a decent choice, particularly in IRAs.

This would prevent one from using the Fidelity ZERO FEE funds, which are a decent choice, particularly in IRAs.
Making choices involves foreclosing options. No surprise there. Your IPS may be different.

At least in an IRA there is no tax event selling FZROX and immediately buying VTI, so it's not so bad, but in a taxable account you may be stuck.

And yes I think it's fine moving from Fidelity to Schwab and vice-versa. I was thinking about whoever Personal Capital/Empower used. They used "advisor only accounts" so if you stopped using them you needed to close the account and move to something else.

Back
Top Bottom