ACA cliff suspension strategy

The folks that make the H&R Block tax software did all they could to prevent automation (don't let you select/copy/paste using the standard easy stuff), but they're up against me, and I didn't give-up!

I wrote a script in a tool called SikuliX which matches visually and interacts with the tax software UI. I created a loop where I jacked-up up the conversion amount, then printed the 1040, selected text and pasted to an Excel sheet. Each column in that sheet was an entire 1040, but all I needed was one row in that output. Slow, but sure. While this runs, the machine can't be used, so I just started it, and found something else to do for an hour :LOL:

Never heard of this SikuliX, so I looked at a couple of tutorials on YouTube to see what it does and how it works. Neat!

Not skibum, but yeah, LTCG income cutoff is done based on taxable income, and it depends on how much ordinary income you have - LTCG stacks on top of ordinary income.

See here for a visualizer:

https://engaging-data.com/tax-brackets/

Also, note that you might pay state income taxes on that 0% federal LTCG. Many states (including mine) start with federal AGI and make little or no adjustment for LTCG.

That is a great website tool, thanks!

I sat with my CPA yesterday and we went through all this, and now I have a better understanding of how the sale of a property will impact taxes, including the unrecaptured depreciation.

Today I initiated an $80,000 Roth conversion from DW's TIRA. Next year will be different with the sale of at least one rental...we shall see.

Back
Top Bottom