ACA repeal question

Status
Not open for further replies.

mojavesue

Recycles dryer sheets
As a large percentage of early retirees probably get insurance through the ACA, I was wondering what would it take for a "new" administration to repeal it? There are current promises of repeal. Would it take 60 votes in the Senate? John McCain was the savior last time. I'm not feeling confident in it's future.

Reconciliation takes a simple majority.

Last edited:
It is far too late to repeal it so I would spend a lot of time thinking about it.

MODERATOR NOTE : How about if we spend our time speculating on whether the Loch Ness monster is real? That would be more useful than this thread, and far less likely to bring in politics, which will get the thread closed and people sanctioned.

@Gumby. This is not meant to be political. What is the correct way to ask this question? The ACA is VERY important to early retirees. Just not sure how easy it would be at this point to repeal. Sorry, I guess we just deal with it if/when it happens. Close the thread please!

Last edited:
We've been on an ACA policy for 1 year. At our current ages 57/54, I am hopeful, but not optimistic that the ACA will be around in its current form for the entirety of our pre-medicare years. Right now we are spending 2-2.5% of the nestegg. If the ACA goes away, we will have to decide if spending tens of thousands more annually until medicare is desirable and/or feasible.

Joe Kuhn from youtube found a reasonably priced policy outside of the ACA. My hope would be that these types of policies would become more widespread in the absence of the ACA.

The Senate could always end the 60 vote requirement since it is a Senate rule. They could keep the rule and put in a hack Parliamentarian that rules everything in order. If they follow the rules honestly they couldn't repeal certain non financial things like pre-existing conditions, without 60 votes.

This is my last year on the ACA, so it has worked out tremendously for me.
Not sure it would get repealed at this juncture, as millions of folks in both parties use it.

@Gumby. This is not meant to be political. What is the correct way to ask this question? The ACA is VERY important to early retirees. Just not sure how easy it would be at this point to repeal. Sorry, I guess we just deal with it if/when it happens. Close the thread please!

There is no easy way to ask or discuss without getting into politics.

Currently there is no proposal to eliminate the ACA under consideration in Congress. There has been some campaign rhetoric, but that does not meet even a minimum standard and is no indication it would ever lead to a serious proposal, much less a real legislative initiative.

Of course the ACA is important. So is Medicare and Social Security. If there is a legislative initiative to change the ACA we can discuss. As long as it remains campaign rhetoric it doesn’t merit our attention and is little more than partisan politics.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom