Addicted to Amazon

I buy many things through Amazon with Prime. It's convenient to think of something I need or want, order it, and have it delivered before I'd find the time to drive to a store. I don't like shopping.

Prime may actually save me money because I buy what I need and am not tempted by impulse purchases, as I would be at a brick & mortar store.

Besides the "free" shipping (really it's just pre-paid shipping), I stream video and music with Prime. Plus, as a Prime member I have unlimited photo storage in the cloud.

I keep a monthly budget and track odds and end spending so I don't spend too much on Amazon. Otherwise it is easy for me to forget how much the little odds and ends add up, costs-wise and especially clutter-wise. We do get many things we need from Amazon. It saves on gas and time so I get many staples there like dog food and treats. Our dog has to inspect every Amazon package as he has figured out how his treats arrive at the house now.

I put a list of the things I want on camelcamelcamel and once or twice a month something I've been wanting will popup at a really low price.

Last edited:
Now that's funny!:LOL:

My husband caught him trying to open a package of dog jerky treats the other day still in the shipping package. I didn't think he could smell it through the outer shipping packaging and sealed product package but evidently he could. He is usually really well behaved so it was actually funny. He just couldn't help himself with that kind of temptation around.

Sound familiar to anyone?
Yes! Prime 2-day shipping was great when we were full time RVers, and when we got back to living in a house, we started buying a whole lot more. We buy a lot of groceries and supplies fromAmazon. Quite a bit of clothing too, luggage, electronics, even furniture, the list is long!

Funny, one time the UPS guy remarked that we sure ordered a lot of books. I told him that we don't order books from Amazon, just everything else. He thought Amazon only sold books! LOL!

I'm doing it wrong. I ordered a couple of frying pans off "amazon" Turned out they came from a third party. Took a month and they arrived finally half broken out of the box-no packing material and pretty much crap.
I once ordered a cord for computer-came from China and I had a foreign exchange fee added to cost.
I ordered a couple of used books-cheap but the smell-I had to toss them out

Subscribe & Save is my weakness, seems my monthly list keeps getting bigger. But I do like that they notify in advance if prices go up, and I often go and postpone things that I haven't run out of. (Also, if you don't feel like subscribing, you can say you do anyway, put it at 6 months, get the discount, then cancel the subscription.)

Cat Food
Hair stuff
Soap/Cleaners
etc.

It's all stuff I would buy elsewhere and need, but it's cheaper on AZ, and arrives without any bother every month so why on earth not?

And yes always look for "Fulfilled by Amazon" for new things when you can, 3rd party sellers can be trickier but amazon service stands behind any order.

Also they have Handmade now.

Cat Food
Hair stuff
Soap/Cleaners
etc.

It's all stuff I would buy elsewhere and need, but it's cheaper on AZ, and arrives without any bother every month so why on earth not?

]\

agreed... chewydotcom for high quality dog food, cheaper than store, delivered... no brainer...

With Amazon, DW uses home as dressing room. If item doesn't fit, goes back to Amazon, no shipping charge and full refund.

Yes, I definitely take into the equation of time, gas, etc. than going to a physical store. Even if it saves a few bucks, I still come out ahead buying via Amazon. But usually Amazon is still often times lower cost.

I refuse to buy the Prime membership, as I don't want to be locked in to buying everything from Amazon (or anyone else, for that matter). Lately, I've been ordering more stuff from Jet. com, and I like it. Selection is not as large as Amazon, but price is frequently as good or better (on the things I buy, anyway). Plus, Jet.com gives you 15% off of your first 3 orders, and they only have a $35 minimum to get free shipping.

I refuse to buy the Prime membership, as I don't want to be locked in to buying everything from Amazon (or anyone else, for that matter). Lately, I've been ordering more stuff from Jet. com, and I like it. Selection is not as large as Amazon, but price is frequently as good or better (on the things I buy, anyway). Plus, Jet.com gives you 15% off of your first 3 orders, and they only have a $35 minimum to get free shipping.

I got an offer (one that I could refuse) from Walmart promoting their "shippingpass" service which is intended to compete with Prime. The offer is $49/year. At first blush, looking at the price, that was tempting but when I searched on a few things I was looking for, they weren't on shippingpass. Sometime for me to file away in my mind and see how this grows in comparison to Prime.

I just ordered from Jet. Stocking up on some cat food and some other essentials (shampoo, soap and other stuff). Price for cat food was better than Amazon and I liked the 15% off [-]bribery [/-] discount. :). I'll have to remember to look for the non-Amazon packaging when the items arrive :).

Back
Top Bottom