Advice you'd give your 25 year old self

ziggy29 said:
Then again, so is being in love with someone who has little or no earning power, work ethic or career potential.

Yes, as I have gotten older my definition of a "Trophy Wife" has changed from physical attributes, to fiscal attributes :)

To be more skeptical in general.When I was younger I was brought up with a lot of religion.Taught that everyone is mostly good inside,always forgive etc.Yep I was naive and to passive at times, that let some folks sometimes pull the wool over my eyes.Now a person has to earn my trust.A lot of folks have their agendas.People who care count,people who don"t care don"t count.

Yes, as I have gotten older my definition of a "Trophy Wife" has changed from physical attributes, to fiscal attributes :)
If I were still single at age 46, I've evolved to the point where my idea of a "trophy wife" would be a woman who loves her job and has already accrued 20+ years toward a pension. :)

If you had a time machine and could go back to talk to your younger self, what piece(s) of financial advice would you give in hopes of achieving FIRE more easily and/or living a better life. Or more specifically, what mistakes would you avoid if you had a mulligan.

Obviously, "save more!" is the easy answer... but I was looking for something more detailed.

I'm not much past that age myself (just turned 30) and am always looking for an opportunity to learn from others much wiser than me. ;)

I do not think I would change anything maybe start saving working earlier?
I really was a bum and didn't start a "real j%$" until I was close to 30.
1) the fact that you might love your job at 20 does not mean you will love it at 50. Most people do not and most are stuck.
2) do not overlook health . if you are out of shape in your 20's 30's etc. it is
a good bet that it will only get worse when you get out of the rat race.

good luck

As a 30-year old, I would like to thank all of you for your insights and to the OP for starting this thread. The repeated "don't worry about things so much, everything will be ok" mentions are the most reassuring because I have noticed that many people who strive for ER are actually somewhat pessimistic.

There are very few places you can go to get this kind of advice from those who not only have a desire to FIRE but have actually done so. Obviously, the overwhelming majority of people will see no harm in working until they're 65 or beyond to satisfy their network of ongoing material needs.

Thanks again.

I had a suggestion to tell my 25-year-old self this morning, but after posting it here decided it really wasn't a good one. So, I just edited it out of this post.

I can't think of any. I really think I lived my life to the fullest under the circumstances, and have no particular regrets or wishes for "do-overs". I did it my way. Frank Sinatra - My Way (1969) - YouTube

Last edited:
W2R, that is excellent advice to give, as I think lots of girls have only the vaguest notion of parenthood's actual responsibilities.

For me, though, I'm fairly sure that the existentialists would say that a job at daycare=my room in hell!
Aaaaack!:hide:

W2R, that is excellent advice to give, as I think lots of girls have only the vaguest notion of parenthood's actual responsibilities.

For me, though, I'm fairly sure that the existentialists would say that a job at daycare=my room in hell!
Aaaaack!:hide:

Well, I deleted it after thinking about it a while, and before I saw your post. Even though I had done tons of babysitting (because I needed the money), I thought working at a daycare part time between grad school and motherhood might have been more instructive. But after thinking about it, I had the same response: Aaaaack!:hide:

:LOL:

Besides, the things I learned there might have been the wrong things, KWIM?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom