Air Force fly boys - a question

Chuckanut

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
I was driving past an Air Force base a few weeks ago when I repeatedly noticed three aircraft flying in formation.

One jet fighter and two single prop small planes that looked a bit like WW2 fighters. They were darting about, turning, and changing altitude. I assume it’s a practice run of some sort. But why the two old style props combined with the modern jet fighter?

Yes, they're practicing this weekend over DMAFB. Fly over our place every day, neat to see. ;)

_B

Flyboys

I have had the privilege to pilot 3 planes; a P-51, a B-25, and a T-6. All were fantastic experiences. I flew the P-51 when I had turned 80.

Attachments

• IMG_4391.jpg
    IMG_4391.jpg
    393.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_6355.jpg
    IMG_6355.jpg
    467.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_5832.jpg
    IMG_5832.jpg
    401.8 KB · Views: 7
  • IMG_5813.jpg
    IMG_5813.jpg
    537.3 KB · Views: 4
My retired marine pilot best friend tells me "propellors are for boats"

My retired marine pilot best friend tells me "propellors are for boats"

Since you are best friends with a Marine, it's good to know that we always capitalize the word Marine. Yes, we are weird like that. Semper Fi!

BTW, what did your Marine best friend fly? DW and I are both USMC(Ret) aircraft maintenance officers.

Since you are best friends with a Marine, it's good to know that we always capitalize the word Marine. Yes, we are weird like that. Semper Fi!

BTW, what did your Marine best friend fly? DW and I are both USMC(Ret) aircraft maintenance officers.

He doesn't talk about it and I don't ask. Thanks for the correction.

Yep, that's a heritage flight, likely practicing for an upcoming airshow nearby (or within a few hours' flight). Typically an aircraft from each of the past generations of military aircraft. Specific types vary, but it's generally pretty cool to see regardless of which aircraft they have.

That explains why props are flying with jets. Amazingly the jet plane is keeping up with the little single propeller planes. :D

Back
Top Bottom