Ally account access while traveling overseas - ugh!

I was accustomed to setting a travel notification on any cards I was planning to take on a trip. Some wanted to know every state and/or country I was going to visit, sometimes even down to the city.

But in recent years the need for that has diminished to the point that some of them have sent me notices that travel notifications are no longer necessary, no matter where I go.
Yes, my Cap One Visa is like that now.
But my AA MasterCard still wants advance notice of foreign travel.
And my credit union ATM/debit card DEFINITELY wants advance notice. It even cut me off in Canada a while back when I forgot...

+1

I do the same with all my CC accounts prior to every trip. If I know that I'm going to travel beyond one billing cycle and can't make on-line payment due to 2FA while overseas, I overpay my balance prior to the trip.

The other thing I do is use my bank's bill paying service to automatically send the minimum monthly payment each month to the credit cards I use most frequently.

This way, I may be dinged for interest, but never get the dreaded 'late payer' attached to my credit score.

I always inform my bank when I travel away from home. I need that ATM card to work as it's the cheapest way to get cash in a foreign country. Granted the need for cash is not that great, but I have stayed at family run hotels and eaten at small restaurants that still offer a discount for payments in cash.

Last edited:
I was accustomed to setting a travel notification on any cards I was planning to take on a trip. Some wanted to know every state and/or country I was going to visit, sometimes even down to the city.

But in recent years the need for that has diminished to the point that some of them have sent me notices that travel notifications are no longer necessary, no matter where I go.
Yep, same here.

Costco VISA only wants to know my travel dates, not locations. Fidelity VISA all the details, but that’s only domestic travel. I don’t use it internationally.

Everyone else says don’t bother!

ATM cards however I make sure they are notified of upcoming international travel.

... In general, I make a point of not logging into any of my financial accounts while traveling regardless of the 2FA issue. No reason to risk it when I am relying on hotel/public WiFi or foreign SIM card. ...
Pretty much the same here. I can see that living outside the US might be problematic, but we've been vacation travelers to something over 40 countries and never once have I had a need to access any of our financial institutions. Good thing, too, as I also have a policy of never putting any financial apps or contact information on the devices we travel with; cell phone and small tablet. Probably 2FA would work on our Google Fi phones, but I'll never know.

As far as cards, we carry two debit cards from two different banks and two Visa/Master cards from two different issuers. No Amex or Discover as those are often refused/useless outside the US.

Yes, my Cap One Visa is like that now.
But my AA MasterCard still wants advance notice of foreign travel.
And my credit union ATM/debit card DEFINITELY wants advance notice. It even cut me off in Canada a while back when I forgot...
In practice, I found that the Capital One CC (QuickSilver MasterCard) is not a very good international travel card. It is fine for in person transactions that can utilize the security chip, but fails for online transactions that rely on 2FA to a domestic phone number. Important transactions that need to be done online, like booking hotel rooms or flights is not possible.

A few months ago I called Capital One the day before traveling to ask how to get around this 2FA restriction and the rep told me that their smartphone app could be used instead of receiving SMS codes and they would send a link to the steps to configure after we ended the call. The support rep just sent a generic link on how to setup various transaction notifications. A few days later while traveling I needed to change a subsequent air flight booking that I had originally charged to my Capital One card, and I could not get around this 2FA to complete the transaction. Had to use another card.

Early next year I will be looking for a new CC to replace Capital One. Even though it is an extra step to configure a travel notification, I have found that systems which require that step to be more reliable.

Back
Top Bottom