Almost ready to find out what this "Retirement thing" is all about

^^^^^^^

Heh, heh, DW walked from The Old Homestead, through the garage to her w*rk. Took 30 seconds or less.

Koolau, commutes in the NJ/ NY area are not fun. If you go the mass transit route the trains and busses are too crowded, unreliable and expensive. After Covid, the idea of going back on those even more packed modes (schedules were reduced in light of fewer people working in offices) and taking subways was just a non-starter for me and my friend. Driving at least was “healthier “ from an exposure standpoint but wears on you mentally from a stress level with the traffic.

The costs are not cheap. The GW Bridge is $17/ day and our “bargain” parking on the east side of mid town 4 blocks from our office was $18/ day (which really was cheap for that area). Add in electric (as we both drive Teslas vs gas cars, so not a big cost there) and congestion pricing for entering Manhattan below 60th street,which is expected to be between $9 and $23. I was joking about costing more than I took home, but you get the point. Splitting that with each of us driving a couple days a week wasn’t too bad.

Had we been able to continue to work from home like your wife does/did would have possibly made me extend my career. I guess it is better that I retired as I had planned rather than do OMY.

Koolau, commutes in the NJ/ NY area are not fun. If you go the mass transit route the trains and busses are too crowded, unreliable and expensive. After Covid, the idea of going back on those even more packed modes (schedules were reduced in light of fewer people working in offices) and taking subways was just a non-starter for me and my friend. Driving at least was “healthier “ from an exposure standpoint but wears on you mentally from a stress level with the traffic.

The costs are not cheap. The GW Bridge is $17/ day and our “bargain” parking on the east side of mid town 4 blocks from our office was $18/ day (which really was cheap for that area). Add in electric (as we both drive Teslas vs gas cars, so not a big cost there) and congestion pricing for entering Manhattan below 60th street,which is expected to be between $9 and $23. I was joking about costing more than I took home, but you get the point. Splitting that with each of us driving a couple days a week wasn’t too bad.

Had we been able to continue to work from home like your wife does/did would have possibly made me extend my career. I guess it is better that I retired as I had planned rather than do OMY.

I guess if that's what it took to get you to FIRE, it's a "good thing." :cool: But I feel sorry for all those other folks who can't yet fire. I would never have guessed those costs for commuting. WOW!

Thanks for your response.

Absolutely, Time 2. I did a “Top 10” list (ala David Letterman) at my retirement send off on my last day at work. This was #10 reason I was retiring now…

With Congestion Pricing coming soon, on top of tolls, parking and electricity prices, it will cost more to commute to work than I take home in pay! Sorry, Arnie.

Arnie is a friend of mine who I’ve commuted with (and shared driving with) for the past year….he’s going to be most impacted by my retirement.

Yes, it"s seems like congestion pricing is a big deal especially when added to all the other costs!
I'm in Fl., but listen to WABC on an app in the morning. It took me a bit to get used to Sid, he has a big head, but now I miss him if he is not there. Wish the best for Arnie!

Back
Top Bottom