Amazon Account Hacked

eytonxav

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
DW's Amazon account got hacked yesterday and it has been difficult to regain control and secure the account. Had to contact Amazon to reset PW, but after doing that, we tried to set up 2 factor authentication. Unfortunately, the hacker had also set that up and it was a nightmare getting Amazon to understand the situation which was preventing DW from setting up a legitimate 2 factor authentication. Eventually the effort was successful and the hackers cell numbers got deleted and DW's setup, so the account presumably has been fully secured, although you can never be too sure. DW also reset her email password. I am not sure how these hacks happen, but it makes me think some hacks are due to internal bad actors at various companies. I wish there was a way to prosecute these clowns. The cell phone numbers that the hacker set up to receive codes are in PA.

Bummer! glad you were able to get back in because from Amazon's point of view they would have a hard time deciding which party is the hacker since the hacker has all the account related info. They probably asked to verify the complete credit card numbers etc?

But yes, complex passwords and 2 factor authentication is a given these days. I use it for paypal, dropbox, ebay, amazon etc.

If you have the phone numbers, create ad on Craigslist. Write them in truck stop bathroom stalls too.

I recycled a Kindle several years ago. About 3 months later there were .99 cent charges for a movie or whatever. I didn't really think about it. Just dispute the CC charge and go on. You know what is coming right? 2 I phones charged to my account/CC. :facepalm:

It was difficult to deal with Amazon. I was coming up on the 60 day limit for disputing CC. Amazon was not being very helpful & I did not have confidence it would get straightened out. So i disputed with CC. Then Amazon closed my account. My boycott of them may be why they missed their earnings number today. :dance: This happened several years ago. Revenge is a dish best served cold

Did you scan your computer so see if there are any keyloggers?

Years ago, my Discover card got hacked. I scanned my computer and saw there was a keylogger. Not sure if they were totally related, but could be.

If they took control did they use it to make any purchases?

Yes, several cook books. Amazon rescinded those charges and we also alerted the CC company.

If you have the phone numbers, create ad on Craigslist. Write them in truck stop bathroom stalls too.

I was thinking something along those same lines, sign them up for spam calls.

Did you scan your computer so see if there are any keyloggers?

Years ago, my Discover card got hacked. I scanned my computer and saw there was a keylogger. Not sure if they were totally related, but could be.

Computer was an iPad so not sure a keylogger could have been installed.

Happened once to me. I was notified that I had ordered a telescope. Initial panic, but Amazon helped get the order canceled and the charge had never hit my credit card. Went to two factor login after that. No issues since.

DW's Amazon account got hacked yesterday and it has been difficult to regain control and secure the account. .

How did you find out about it? Wondering what we should be looking out for.

It was difficult to deal with Amazon. I was coming up on the 60 day limit for disputing CC. Amazon was not being very helpful & I did not have confidence it would get straightened out. So i disputed with CC. Then Amazon closed my account. My boycott of them may be why they missed their earnings number today. :dance: This happened several years ago. Revenge is a dish best served cold
Umm, Amazon reported a third quarter profit of $2.1 billon dollars with revenue of $69.98 billion. I would hardly call that revenge.
:cool:

How did your wife convince Amazon that she was the real owner of the account and not a hacker?

I had mine hacked earlier this month, as I posted here. I have MFA enabled now, and also have the Google Authenticator on my phone.

Mine is still puzzling. They changed all their info to their real address, phone #, and credit card, which made it incredibly easy for me to not only call them and mess with them a little, but also have an interesting conversation with their small town police department, who are very familiar with this chick.

Amazon needs to improve their customer service and fraud department (who they won't allow you to speak with) if this is going to become so commonplace.

Sorry this happened to you. It's very unsettling even though I was out $0.

How did you find out about it? Wondering what we should be looking out for.
DW received an email that her PW had changed, however, these emails contain links so you never know whether they are legit or a phishing scam, but she could not log onto to her account.

How did your wife convince Amazon that she was the real owner of the account and not a hacker?
I am not sure, but she was on the phone for some period of time with them. I assume they had caller ID and could see she was calling them from the prior phone number associated with the account and that she answered all their questions. They did freeze the account however, and it took until the next day for them to reply back that she would not be able to log in and set a new PW.

. My boycott of them may be why they missed their earnings number today. :dance: This happened several years ago. Revenge is a dish best served cold

Umm, Amazon reported a third quarter profit of $2.1 billon dollars with revenue of $69.98 billion. I would hardly call that revenge.

Not so fast!

My father would sometimes get so aggravated by a company that he would declare that he was going to drive them out of business by boycotting them.

We laughed, but he generally had a good reason, and even though sometimes it took 20 years or more, he always managed to triumph. It gave him immense satisfaction when it finally happened.

Back
Top Bottom