American Idol 2014

Purron

Give me a museum and I'll fill it. (Picasso) Give me a forum ...
Hi all! Just thought I'd drop by, say "hey" and see what you think of this season of Idol so far. I'm liking the judges - particularly Harry Connick, Jr. Some good talent too. Just one question. Doesn't the graphic in the new Idol intro look a lot like that machine from the movie Contact? Here are the youtubes to see them in motion.

American Idol XIII Theme Song Intro | LIVE 1-15-14 - YouTube

The machine - YouTube

Attachments

• Idol Intro 2013.jpg
    Idol Intro 2013.jpg
    291.8 KB · Views: 5
  • Contact Machine.jpg
    Contact Machine.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 4
I am watching AI and enjoying it a lot more this year than last year, due to the change in judges. I think they retained two of the very best judges from past years. The new judge, Harry Connick Jr., is one of New Orleans' most beloved native sons and I think he is proving himself to be an absolutely terrific judge.

Also, they seem to have changed these early shows and not included so very many of the terrible, screaming, out of tune, untalented but attention-seeking contestants as in past years. For that, both I and my ears are grateful. They do have some very good talent.

Wish I had something to say about the graphic! I am clueless about that but maybe somebody else will have some insights. Never saw the movie Contact.

I am watching AI and enjoying it a lot more this year than last year, due to the change in judges. I think they retained two of the very best judges from past years. The new judge, Harry Connick Jr., is one of New Orleans' most beloved native sons and I think he is proving himself to be an absolutely terrific judge.

I've only watched a bit of it, but I agree Connick seems to strike a nice balance of being honestly critical, but w.o being mean like Simon often would.

Also, they seem to have changed these early shows and not included so very many of the terrible, screaming, out of tune, untalented but attention-seeking contestants as in past years. For that, both I and my ears are grateful. They do have some very good talent.

I always hated the 'plants' (I know someone who auditioned, and as I'd expect, they do screen them before they get to the judges, so some of those wailers would never make it that far), I wasn't sure if I just missed them, or they cut most of them out this time. That was old after the first two in the first season.

Never saw the movie Contact.

Saw the movie, read the book, but am also clueless.

-ERD50

I had gotten bored with AI…especially with the 2 Divas fighting for attention and the Dog Pound…happy to see ALL of the changes!

Harry Connick, Jr. is hilarious and I agree with a previous poster that they have brought back and kept the best of the judges…the
new producer seems to have found a new and better formula….

The reduction in the horrible acts who thought they were the next Idol is refreshing…along those lines, at first I thought that this year's
talent was better, or at the very least, more plentiful…but then after I thought about it…with the lack of the time allotted to the
untalented performers, they only had GOOD talent to show us!

I'm a sucker for the stories that sometimes accompany those trying out and still appreciate them…AND, I like the slight addition of
teasing us with an audition and letting us guess whether or not they "go to Hollywood"…and I have to confess that I have missed
more of those than I have agreed with…

So far the panel of judges looks like a winning combination. Really like Harry.

Just a quick summary of what I know, or think I know, about Harry Connick Jr (more accurate info is probably available on the internet):

Harry Connick, Jr is (obviously) the son of Harry Connick Sr, who was the New Orleans DA for 30 years. His uncle, Paul Connick, is the DA out here in the suburbs and has been for many years too.

Also, in 1993 Harry Connick Jr and his father founded the Krewe of Orpheus, which puts on the Orpheus parade every Lundi Gras (the day before Mardi Gras). This is one of the largest parades that we have. At that time, some of the very old traditional krewes had refused to parade, because of federal demands that anybody willing to contribute should be able to join their krewes and participate in their parades. Some thought the entire future of Mardi Gras was in doubt. The Connicks not only started the Krewe of Orpheus, but also bent over backwards to make sure that Orpheus did not exclude anybody. F and I have friends who ride in that parade every year, and so we have attended the Orpheus Ball after the parade several times. What a cool experience, and of course Harry Jr was there entertaining us all night along with other great musicians.

Anyway, back to the Connicks - - they have given a lot to this city, and I do so admire Harry Connick Jr for making his own path in life, rather than just taking all the easy opportunities that his father's connections might have provided to him had he pursued a law-related career. IMO Harry Connick Jr is "the real thing", a musician's musician and tremendously talented and experienced himself.

Last edited:
IMO Harry Connick Jr is "the real thing", a musician's musician and tremendously talented and experienced himself.

Thanks for the summary W2R. I very much agree with this observation. I'll never forget what he did after Katrina. He really loves New Orleans. He's like a breath of fresh air on Idol.

Glad they brought back Keith Urban. He's a likeable guy. Not crazy about JLo but she's better this time around so far. Let's just hope Randy Jackson doesn't mess up the good vibes when he returns to the show to mentor the contestants.

What? Randy is coming back?? That is not a good thing!!

I head Ryan Seacrest will be joining as one of the judges. Is that true?

I have so far been enjoying this seasons Idol.

Thanks for sharing that info on Harry Connick Jr. I saw him in the movie Hope floats years ago and have followed him since.

I also think AI is much improved. I usually record it and would fast forward through the judges comments, especially last year with the bickering women. This year I am listening to all the comments....good mix of personalities. And it looks like the judges are actually friends, so different from last season.

I too am a little worried about Randy Jackson coming back as a mentor. Guess we'll find how that works out.

Bumping this old thread only because I watched Idol tonight for the first time in a long time and it isn't really worth starting a new thread for 2015.

Overall, this year's contestants are dreadful... maybe two or three of 11 left that are interesting but that's about it. The worse the judges ever say is that they are pitchy or along those lines. I miss the good old days when Simon would be straight with them and tell them their performance was a train wreck.

Though I will say that the JLo performance near the middle of the show was very good with very interesting special effects... and the dress she wore at the judges table was ... hot!

The straw that broke the camel's back for me was that the judges used the save tonight when they have 11 contestants left and on someone who just is not near worth using a save on. Anyway, I'm done.

I've been watching this season and I have to agree. There is just a couple of contestants that could have a successful career.
I think Harry actually tries to give honest advice but he's no Simon.

I'll agree with this also. Ive watched every season of American Idol and these contestants stink. The young kid is so bad it hurts to watch. Maybe he will be good in 3-4 yrs but right now hes terrible. The girl with the blue hair is terrible (although she wasnt bad this week when she stopped trying to make everything sound like Polka and just sing the song). The guy with the hat that sang the BeeGees song sounds exactly the same every time.

Now, The Voice is a different story. At least half the singers on that show are freakishly good.

Last edited:
+1

I will be surprised if this isn't the last season for American Idol. It's really too bad! They used to have good contestants, and a better, longer show. It was my favorite show for years.

This year their contestants are not just bad, but painfully bad. And I agree, the singer upon whom they used the save was awful IMO. I thought they would rake him through the coals and instead he gets the save? Gee. This show is done and I doubt it will continue next year.

Oh well, nothing lasts forever.

Last edited:
Yeah, I thought the save was for contestants that the judges thought had a legit chance of winning the whole shooting match but perhaps had a really bad week and were on the chopping block a la Jennifer Hudson or Chris Daughtry so almost by definition it wouldn't be used until you only had 5 or 6 contestants left. The clown they saved last night was just plain awful and has no chance of winning the contest so I don't now what they are thinking.

Back
Top Bottom