An ex-coworker's unwanted e-mail

I guess we now know what HE does all day while retired :) Wanna add that to the FAQ/Archives...or to the list of what not to do.

...Eventually I got fed up and sent a message to the Jehovah Witnesses with his name, address, and direct number asking for more information. That pretty much put an end to it for us.

That brings back memories ... My Dear Departed Mother did that to a person who was prosthelizing her. She felt they deserved each other.

Years ago we had a boss that was a total @$$hole, so we all decided to start having some fun [-]at his expense[/-] with him. We started filling out the magazine subscription cards where you'd get a few 'free' issues before you had to decide whether or not you wanted to pay for a full subscription. We also filled out cards for all the [-]businesses harvesting names to become potential clients[/-] 'sweepstakes' that we could find around town, and we were sure to check the "Please Contact Me" boxes on them.

His mailman sure must have ended up getting a real workout stuffing his mailbox! And they were probably about ready to rip the phone out of the wall too.

The same could be done in response to all the unwanted spam ex-coworkers send. If they won't quit sending email......give 'em some snail mail to keep 'em busy. Take a walk through a local home improvement show, bridal show, or whatever, and fill out a card (for your ex-coworker) at each booth to win their 'door prize'.......and be sure to remember to give them a phone number.....so they can be contacted [-]and given a sales pitch for new siding[/-] if they 'win'. >:D

Well, here's what I went with:
It may be a coincidence, but since you've retired you seem to be sending more e-mail. As I think about the last few weeks of what you've been broadcasting, I'd like to ask you to remove my address from your group list.
I enjoy sharing about us and our families. I don't particularly enjoy reading about political issues, religious conspiracy videos, the umpteenth aging joke, or pictures of rat tumors. I'm not questioning their relevance and I agree with some of your opinions, but I don't care to be confronted by these topics.
I hope we can keep exchanging personal e-mails. Thanks,

He said that he was just trying to start a conversation but that he'd do as I asked.

He's taking the family on a China tour next week (his spouse is of Chinese ancestry) and should have a great trip report...

I'm cautiously optimistic.

i have a cousin who emails similarly. so i set up a separate email account for family and gave that email address to that person as well as to some other family members who are in email-contact with that person. i only check that email every so often as the family i am in good contact with has my normal email address and they are aware of the situation.

this way, my madly ccing email cousin is not insulted and my regular email box is not stuffed with spam. i quickly delete all my cousins stuff which i see is cc'd to everyone in her address book. i open the ones that are directed only to my email address and not cc'd to everyone else. recently, her husband died so of course she cc'd everyone. luckily, she put that in the subject, so i was able to respond without deleting.

her own daughter, the idiot cousin no longer in my association, actually told her mother to remove her from her incessant email list. but for me, it is more important to try & protect someone elses feelings than to fret about a little spam.

Nords - Hotmail has a "label as junk" feature - much like what Want2 is talking about. That basically makes his address a junk emailer, and they all go to junk mail. If it's important, he will call you.

You could always give his name, email, and phone number to every recruiter of every branch in as many cities as you fee like until you get bored. Tell 'em he's 18 and eager to see the world. Not that I've ever done that to an annoying shipmate, of course...deplorable course of action, I wouldn't recommend it to anyone. >:D

A bit late for you Nords, but I just tell them that I'm cheaping out and switching to dial-up and that it takes forever to download anything that isn't text only. A little white lie, but no hurt feelers.

A golf buddy started emailing me endless jokes and political topics. A few here and there would be ok but 8-10 a day is a little much. It won't matter how nice I ask him to stop, he will be pissed. Oh well, probably a moot point as I started playing with another group anyway. This guy likes to play at 8:00am which is too FRIGGING early! Good to get that off my chest. :)

Back
Top Bottom